Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for divers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Looking for divers Reply with quote

Hi! I run "Scuba In Korea". It is a web-site that tries to bring divers together in Korea. When I started diving in Korea a couple of years ago I found it hard to find shops that had English service, and I found it hard to find other foreign divers.

"Scuba In Korea" is an attempt to bring us divers, and those who want to be divers, together. If you are looking for a dive buddy or dive trips or dive shops, equipment retailers and service centers; check out the site at: www.scubainkorea.com

Before anyone complains, we do offer trips and course and services that cost money. I won't mention them here, because I don't intend this post to be an "ad". I just want to let divers know we are here...And I welcome submissions too. I don't know everything about diving in Korea, so any info you divers out there could give me would be appricated.

Thanks,

Diver (aka Owsi)

By the way: Squaffy...Let up on Mel. She is trying to share a unique experience with others here in Korea. Yes, it costs money...Do you expect it to be free? Mel letting people know what is available in terms of diving is no different than people on this board organizing piss-ups at a local pub...or is the beer free?
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit scuba diving in Korea since I found it to be not worth the expense and time.
I decided to save the cash that I would spend weekend diving in cold, murky Korean waters, and put it towards the higher quality diving in South East Asia that comes at a much cheaper cost--a better experience for your dollar.

However, with my own mask, snorkel, wetsuit, fins and speargun, I head out to nearby spots I've mapped out and make a good afternoon of it.

Without the cost of renting scuba equipment, it's a cheap day at the beach and if I'm on target, filets of fish for dinner.
diver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Or you could look on the bright side... Reply with quote

While Dr. Buck mat be correct that diving in Korea is more expensive than Southeast Asia, that doesn't mean it is as bad as he makes it out to be. Heck, EVRYTHING is cheaper in southeast Asia...

There are quite a few good diving spots (Jeju being the best...deep diving, soft corals, lionfish, damsel fish, nudibranchs, anemones, box fish, octopi, caves, canyons, swim-throughs...) and it's also based on what you are looking for in a dive site. I have found the diving off of the south coast around Namhae to be pretty interesting (underwater caves and canyons). I found the east coast to be nice too (soft corals, deep diving, octopi). About the only place I would advise against is the west coast because of low vis, but I have even had good dives there.

Here is a review from a friend who dove Hong-Do recently:

June 2003
Hong Do, Chollanam Do
Basically, this small island is a rock covered in sea gull nests and
topped
by a light house. Underwater, the diving is some of the best in Korea.
Depths ranged from 12-20m with no current whatsoever. We experienced
12m+
visibility with water temps at 19 degrees. There were lots of soft
white
corals and surprisingly, scattered bits of hard coral growth. There
are
lots of brightly coloured sponges and interesting kelp beds. The site
has
quite a bit of marine life with shrimps, cuttlefish , moon fish and
several
varieties of damsel fish. Along with the large sea slugs that are
common in
Korean waters, I actually saw a beautiful blue nudibranch. What a
surprise.
That was the highlight of the dive for me. I�ll be back at this site
at
least once more before the end of the year.

Sounds like he enjoyed it...and he didn't even have to kill anything...

So, it depends what you are looking for. The diving in Korea is not the best in the world. I prefer the Philippines myself. But I can't go there for the weekend either. I am continually amazed by the amount of people that have to post that "I have been to blah blah blah, and I have X number of dives and I can say with complete authority that the diving in Korea is terrible and not worth the time..."

In my (professional) opinion, the thing that separates the REAL divers from the pretenders (or the "tough guys") is that real divers usually find something positive to say about every dive. That simple. I have had bad vis dives, but found something really cool that I hadn't seen before on those dives. In my experience, the divers that hate bad vis the most are the ones with the poorest underwater navigation skills.

In the end, you don't have to take Dr. Buck's word for it, or mine. Go out and try it. See what you think,

Cheers,

the diver formerly known as Owsi
Squaffy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for divers Reply with quote

diver wrote:
Hi! I run "Scuba In Korea".

By the way: Squaffy...Let up on Mel.

No - this is not an Advert site.

Want more? I paid to do that dive and it was pants. Shame on you for running such a poor business that you resort to using an ESL forum to plug it. I did say it was good for novice divers.

By shouting at me doesn't help your business now, does it. Just shows how desperate you are.

Nuff said.
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't think I knocked diving in Korea that hard.

I think that if you are a hardcore diver, you'll dive anywhere and enjoy yourself. Perhaps you have your own gear, tanks, regulator and all the other trappings. And if I owned my own tank and vest and regulator, I'd be out in Korean waters every weekend.

However, most folks on this board don't have their own dive equipment here and they must rent. Many others don't live near the coast, or near the better dive spots.
So what are the numbers? 50,000 won for rental? Or 100,000 won? And for how long? And how do I get to the off shore islands? For someone in Seoul to cruise down to Cheju/Koje/Namhae/ or the lower Cholla islands, the price tag adds up. How much when all expenses considered? 300,000 won?
Sure, the diving will be fun. Diving is always fun if you love the water.
But then again, if you have plane tickets reserved for Thailand two months away maybe you better save your cash for Phuket . . .

The same goes for skiing in Korea:
In two columns line up any Korean ski resort and any North American resort and compare prices. Almost the same in lift tickets, accomodation, etc. and then consider the quality: Pyeongchang versus Whistler. Muju versus Vail. Yeah, right. No comparison.

Nevertheless, I still go skiing in Korea at least once every year because I like to feel that snow under the ski. And after paying over the Korean cash, I feel slightly shortchanged because I somewhere before I experienced something ten times better for the same price.

Diving in Korea is similar. If you love to dive, go for it. I'm sure you'll like it. I did. It's just that as an outdoorsman, with limited time and money for my recreational pursuits, I prefer to aim for the best value that gives me the best experience.

I like your website and applaud your efforts. Those tide tables are handy, aren't they?

As for the quip, "and he didn't even have to kill anything... "
Yes, I snorkel with a spear and I kill fish with it. I enjoy it immensely. I like the idea that occasionally I can provide a nice fish dinner for myself, rather than going down to the local supermarket and buying a fish that was killed in drag nets by the thousands. Who is more culpable? I'm selective on my shots and only kill what I will eat that day, usually a couple fish. That pales in comparison to what the commercial ships do. It's why Japan apprehends Korea fishing trawlers every other month for sneaking into their waters. The Korean coastal waters have been raped, and raped hard for centuries. That is why you are reduced to diving in shark aquariums in order to see a fish bigger than your leg.

And "is that real divers usually find something positive to say about every dive."
Absolutely. But be honest and give the good with the bad for a fair, balanced statement.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, Dr. Buck. I dove Korea once just to see for myself what it was like. For anyone certified and living in Korea, you should try it at least once, but if your choices are limited due to time off/finances I'd recommend Guam or Thailand (Andaman Sea) before Korea. If/When I go back to Korea I'd like to visit Hong-do and try the diving there.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best place I have dived is Eilat - Israel - in the Red Sea. That's where I got all my PADI Certs. SoKo diving suks. Wanna argue the point - try me - might just wreck your business too Laughing
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Buck wrote:
I think that if you are a hardcore diver, you'll dive anywhere and enjoy yourself.

Rubbish u fool.
wormholes101

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone dived on Ulong-Do? I'm considering a trip there in the next month.

I wanted to check out Jeju-Do sites a couple of months ago but the weather was so bad, I figured viz would be too bad... People say that Jeju has the best diving in Korea. Anyone dived both Ulong-Do and Jeju?

The Andaman sea has fantastic diving! I did a live aboard there (4day/4night) with Seadragon divers. Awesome! Great viz, coral and sealife at the Similans and Surins.

Then I did a dive out near Ko Phi Phi and saw enormous manta rays; they swam so close I could have reached out and touched 'em! I have pics on my homepage Cool
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eilat is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Caymans.
Nice pics, Wormholes.
jacktar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaffy wrote:
Best place I have dived is Eilat - Israel - in the Red Sea. That's where I got all my PADI Certs. SoKo diving suks. Wanna argue the point - try me - might just wreck your business too Laughing

It's understandable that you don't enjoy diving in korea then. Many warm water divers are intimidated by cold water conditions. But there's more to diving than the tropics. If you keep practicing, perhaps you'll feel more comfortable. It can be a little scary for someone used to 20m vis to not be able to see the bottom.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's understandable that you don't enjoy diving in korea then. Many warm water divers are intimidated by cold water conditions. But there's more to diving than the tropics. If you keep practicing, perhaps you'll feel more comfortable. It can be a little scary for someone used to 20m vis to not be able to see the bottom.

Done both, and warm water good vis wins every time. Are you really trying to tell us that you prefer cold water low vis dives? I find that hard to swallow...
jacktar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Done both, and warm water good vis wins every time. Are you really trying to tell us that you prefer cold water low vis dives? I find that hard to swallow...

No, I like warm water and good vis as much as the next guy. I'm just saying that I think the diving in Korea has merit. Divers certified at resorts in the tropics experience ideal conditions but often can't see beyond that.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Divers certified at resorts in the tropics experience ideal conditions but often can't see beyond that.

Oh. That's a very good point.
diver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Looking For divers Reply with quote

Been on vacation for awhile and haven't checked the board...here we go..

First, Dr. Buck: I shoulod apologize for my somewhat acerbic comment near the end of one of my posts ("...and he didn't have to killanything..."). It was a dig at you, but more than that, I am a little bit ticked at KOREAN divers and their practices...You caught flak for it instead of them...Sorry about that.

Now Squaffy,

1. I didn't yell at you. I suggested that you let up on Mel.
2. My site is not (yet) a business. It is supposed to be an info source for divers in Korea, a place to share info on where to dive, get certified, get equipment etc. You haven't really helped out in that respect have you?
3. You said that we have a <sic> crappy little business, and that we have to resort to advertising on this board. Well, maybe it is crappy, and maybe it is little. But, since most of the non-military English speakers here are teachers, this seemed like a good board to let them know about our site. It was posted in the correct area, and the mods approved of it.
4. You hated the dive at the aquarium. too bad. Most of our divers loved it. You didn't do it with us anyway, so why slag us off?
5. Wreck our business? What are you? 12 years old? If you don't want to come, don't come. I know a lot of people that enjoy diving in Korea. I know a lot of people that enjoy the shark dives (several have gone 2 or 3 times). YOU are the only one complaining here. Dr. Buck and Bulsajo were not keen on Korean diving, but actually provided useful info, and didn't even have to threaten to "wreck" our business.
6. I LOVE warm water, good vis diving. I also like cold water/low vis diving. It is more challenging, and mysterious. I will stick to my point...Most of the people who complain about low vis diving as vociferously as you have are generally poor divers...The end.

Dr. Buck and Bulsajo, thanks for your input.

Diver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: