Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Question - Re: Spyware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marathe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Computer Question - Re: Spyware Reply with quote

Seriously.

Does anyone with half a brain actually willingly install all this garbage (like Gator and all that) taht will actually manage and increase the number of popup ads that specifically pertain to you?

Saw something on CNN that 10% of computer users have this stuff on their systems voluntarily.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father likes gator....

and I don't understand
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that true about Gator and those other spyware programs???
Some of them even ask for donations. Kind of cheeky.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its totally true as most Internet users will download anything the internet tells them too. Which is things like Gator.

Also, "voluntarily" also means people who installed P2P software like Kazaa... which is full of spyware. If everyone used KazaaLite and didn't share files the system would implode.

Virtually all major internet sites now employ Cookies that mine data. Try installing anti-spyware software like AdAware.. browse the internet for a week then run AdAware again and see just how many data miners have been installed on your system in the form of cookies. Only way to stop it is disable cookies, unfortunately that disables alot of functionality for websites.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best advice is to install adaware and spybot. I'd also advise folks to install a personal firewall with a good privacy manager so you will be alerted to when some of these programs try send personal data over the net.
newt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a firewall is needed. I use zone alarm. Its really easy to use and install. I was even able to show my mother in law how to use it.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit of a whizz at using computer programs but I'm a complete nuff nuff when it comes to computer systems... can anyone post some links for us other computer nuff nuffs to follow?... I'm venturing out through google myself... we'll see how I go... if I'm successful, I'll post my findings later.

Edit... Well, that wasn't so hard... here's a link to download AdAware

Edit 2: Wow! I had 99 browser hijack attempts or mining cookies!!!

Here is a link to Spybot via PC World Magazine.
Time to say goodbye to all those annoying XXX pop ups!

Edit 3... Here's Zone Alarm a free firewall...
Dalton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good product is
Pop-Up Stopper
Scroll down the page for the free version.

Webroots Window Washer (not a link) is excellent as well but you'll have to pay for it. Rolling Eyes
It's faster than Ad-Aware and removes all kinds of junk files that just slowly fill your hard drive and slow up your machine.

I have used these and Zone Alarm, Spybot and Ad-Aware for a couple of years to keep my PC clean.

Window Washer is most effective when used after each on-line session. Ad-Aware never finds anything after I use Window washer. SpyBot is an interesting companion but you need to be careful what you delete.
ajuma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adaware is great...but it don't (yeah, I know...doesn't! for you grammar guru's!) work with Kazaa!
Dalton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for Kazaa lite. It's a version of Kazaa without any adware or spyware. I've been using it since Napster faded away. It's easy to find and just as legit.
Newer versions of Download Accelerator are also full of spyware/adware as is Comet Curser.
You don't need the crap with the adware/spyware.
Idea
Kazaa Lite hint: When dl-ing movies preview them with avi previewer after about 6000 k or so to make sure it is the movie you think it is.
Movies with [TMD] in front of the titles (not after) appear to be made by a projectionist and to date are what they say they are. DivX free version without adware/spyware is often the best software to view the movies in full screen.

[TMD] is accessable from Mirc but I don't have Mirc.
You can watch movies the day after they are released by finding the [TMD] on Kazaa Lite and watching them on DivX.
Warning: Not DVD quality.
Dalton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Kazaa Lite Movie DL Update Reply with quote

It seems obvious that the powers that be are flooding the net with fake movies so it has become very difficult to DL movies.
Lara Croft and Pirates of the Caribbean are examples of movies I cannot seem to get. The [TMD] (see previous post) is not reliable now.

Don't know if anyone cares but just in case.
justagirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million for the post. I have to admit, I have no clue when it comes to computer security (or why I should care--nothing secret on my computer). Now I see that I don't really want miners and ad companies tracking me--certainly use the Net a lot more here than I ever did at home.

So, a big thanks to: Waterbaby!

I downloaded all 3 things and I feel much better now.
Dalton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Window Washer Reply with quote

This site has Window Washer. Scroll way down almost to the bottom looking for Window Washer v 4.8.1.2. Scroll past 5 eyeballs.

Lunatic.org

The first time you use it may take a while to complete. 5 min to 40 min depending on how much crap you have on your hard drive.

Run this after every online session.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dalton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great site to go to for anyone interested in learning about internet security in general or their own PC security.

Shields UP! Internet vulnerability profiling

Not for the paranoid. Laughing

This site explains a lot about what malicious people can do to your PC

Trojan removers

Please remember that it is highly unlikely that you are suffering from any such attacks. If after reading this you find yourself turning your PC camera towards a wall away from yourself then you are not alone. Laughing

Gibson Research Corp.

is another educational site with lots of links.

Fianlly, while in Korea I had no problem with trojans, DoS attacks, etc but upon returning to Canada it was a different story altogether.
IMHO these sites were the best after tons of searching but this is unlikely a definitive list. AND Zone Alarm, Pop UP stopper, Ad Aware, Window washer and to a lesser degree Spybot are must haves to keep your PC fast as it's capable and bug free. I realize these sites have already been recommended and links posted in this thread but it is worth repeating.

BTW Posco's Trumpet. Thanks for the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: