Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metsuke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I check out Passo pretty regulary as well.

I don't really have that much money to be spending on the bike right now... I got a budget of 1.5 million and under currently.

You guys know anybody whos got a cruiser bigger than 125cc for around that price?
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna happen. For cruisers over 125, in ascending price order: Mirage 250, ancient/not worth buying japanese 600cc (Honda Steed for example), Mirage 650, then everything else.

I'd say - save up a little bit more. Motorcycle depreciation works differently at different CCs. Higher CC bikes depreciate a LOT less than the 125s. Why that's the case - I don't know - but when you finally resell it, you should get a good price for it.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Comet 250 is awesome, you should be able to get a used 2000-2001 Mirage 250 for 1-1.3 million.

2 mill for a used Mirage is a rip-off; you can get a used Honda 400cc for 2.4.
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
The Comet 250 is awesome, you should be able to get a used 2000-2001 Mirage 250 for 1-1.3 million.

I agree 2 mil is a rip-off, but 1 - 1.3 is low. I think they are worth that much, but I don't think you'll find a decent 250cc for under 1.5. I paid 1.7 for my Mirage 250 over a year ago. Now I'm shopping for something bigger and better. Those newer 750(?) Mirages are kinda sharp.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_pizza wrote:
Pyongshin Sangja wrote:

I agree 2 mil is a rip-off, but 1 - 1.3 is low. I think they are worth that much, but I don't think you'll find a decent 250cc for under 1.5. I paid 1.7 for my Mirage 250 over a year ago. Now I'm shopping for something bigger and better. Those newer 750(?) Mirages are kinda sharp.

Completely agree. Any 250 Mirage for 1.1 (or, for that matter, a 400cc honda for 2.4) in my experience is just not worth buying. Pay a bit more and you can get a decent bike that won't be a maintenance headache and will look sharp.

Edit: 650CC Mirage -- they ARE sharp... and they're really quick. They don't have a typical cruiser engnie in them... even though they're 650CC, they're faster than most other cruisers that have 2-3 times the displacement.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked a few questions recently about actually riding motorcycles that I though I would answer on here for the benefit of users new to riding or considering taking the plunge.

Quote:
What's the proper way to brake? Front brake? Rear brake? Both?

The simple answer: For maximum braking power, use both brakes.

Detail: It really depends on the kind of bike you're riding and what kind of riding you're doing.

- if you're putting around town mostly, use both brakes.
- if you have a sport-bike, the front bake is powerful enough to lift the rear wheel up - so you can generally get away with using the front brake only. Sometimes the rear is used just before a corner to settle the bike's suspension.
- If you have a cruiser, use both.

DO NOT ABUSE THE REAR BRAKE! Especially if you're going fast. If the rear end breaks loose and you let go of the brake, you're going flying though the air. If you lock up the rear tire, it's generally best to keep on the brake and ride the skid out of you can.

Also - brake in a straight line. Using the brakes hard in turns will not end nicely. If you find yourself braking in a turn, slow down more for corners or learn how to turn the bike better. You should actually be accelerating slightly in turns for the most traction.

No matter what bike you have, I highly reccommend going to an empty parking lot and practice braking. Find out how much pressure it takes to slide the rear/front. Practice emergency braking. These skills may save your life.

Quote:
What's the best way to shft? (also: stopping at lights)

To change gears on street bikes, use the clutch. Pull it in, change the gear, ease it out. Generally transmissions in street bikes don't like to be shifted without the clutch (especially if you like your transmission to last). Use the clutch both for up and downshifting.

When you're downshifting, it's good if you blip the throttle (give it a bit of gas while the clutch is in) to make the speed (rpms) of the engine appropriate for the lower gear you're going to be selecting. this makes things a little easier on the transmission.

When stopping at a light, whether you keep your bike in neutral or in first gear while holding the clutch in is up to you. For long lights, I'll switch to neutral... but for intersections I don't know well, I'll hold it in first and hold the clutch. This lets me get away quicker if the lights change quickly or someone is coming up quickly from behind.

Quote:
Steering

Bikes counter-steer. Do a google search on countersteering if you don't know what it is. It's essential to have this skill down on a bike. If you don't, quick emergency moves (like the kinds you have to make all the time in Korea) will be challenging indeed.

Simply -- if you're going REALLY slow (say, under about 20kph) you steer a motorcycle normally - ie. Turn the handlebar left to go left, turn the handlebar right to go right. After a certain speed, wheels buld up a certain gyroscopic force and the bike behaves quite differently. At speed, you turn the handlebars left to go right and turning right will cause the bike to go left. What you're doing is essentially leaning/tipping the bike over into the direction you want to go. It may sound strange, but once you do it, it becomes clear... Practice!

I hope this has helped...
Metsuke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you guys are saying about the Mirage... for a good 250cc I will be looking at over 1.5... granted.

But I just don't think I can do it... I mean I'm a first time rider, and I'm going to need some help from my friends to learn how to ride. I started off thinking that it would be better to get a 125cc on the cheap... but then my friends just really suggested I at least get a 250cc.

I think I'm going to go back to the original plan... get a 125cc for around 800,000 or less, and learn how to ride a bit. Then if I want to upgrade I can at a later date.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metsuke wrote:
I hear what you guys are saying about the Mirage... for a good 250cc I will be looking at over 1.5... granted.

But I just don't think I can do it... I mean I'm a first time rider, and I'm going to need some help from my friends to learn how to ride. I started off thinking that it would be better to get a 125cc on the cheap... but then my friends just really suggested I at least get a 250cc.

I think I'm going to go back to the original plan... get a 125cc for around 800,000 or less, and learn how to ride a bit. Then if I want to upgrade I can at a later date.

That's exactly what I did.

125cc bikes are perfect for zooming around town. Acceleration is peppy from stoplights and you won't have any trouble getting out of the way of traffic.

I personally had 2 125CC bikes, 1 250CC (comet), and now this Honda CBR600. Everything you learn on the 125 will translate to bigger bikes. It's not wasted time at all. Furthermore, you get a feel for traffic, and if you make a mistake, the consequences are somewhat less (ie. giving it too much gas). The nice thing is - there's no downside! Buy your 125, ride it for a little bit, then sell it for pretty much what you paid for it (maybe more!).

When you really start feeling comfortable on the 125, know it in and out, and maybe want to get out of town a bit more often, then it'll be time to upgrade.
Qinella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good information on here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge IlIlNine. I've got a question about maintenance. I've had my 49cc scooter for almost a year now. I've never done any kind of maintenance on it so I'm wondering if there's anything I should do. It still functions fine and the brakes seem okay, but you never know. I did notice some rust on the exhaust shaft. Not sure if that's a problem. Also, today I noticed a strange grinding sound, kind of like the sound it makes when starting up, only it happens sporadically as I'm driving, and especially after I go over a speed bump. Any ideas?
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qinella wrote:
Lots of good information on here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge IlIlNine. I've got a question about maintenance. I've had my 49cc scooter for almost a year now. I've never done any kind of maintenance on it so I'm wondering if there's anything I should do. It still functions fine and the brakes seem okay, but you never know. I did notice some rust on the exhaust shaft. Not sure if that's a problem. Also, today I noticed a strange grinding sound, kind of like the sound it makes when starting up, only it happens sporadically as I'm driving, and
especially after I go over a speed bump. Any ideas?

I think a sticky motorcycle thread isn't a bad idea. But, instead of whining about it, I figured I'd have a go at making a de-facto sticky thread. I think if this thread stays on the front page for long enough, maybe the almighty mods will cave. Who knows?

Maintenance is cheap! Do your scoot a favor and take it to any old motorcycle shop and: Get the oil and filter changed, new spark plug, air filter and new brake pads.

Your Korean's not too bad, right? Tell them exactly what you said here - that you haven't had any kind of maintenance done in a year and have them check everything out. There may be belts to tighten, chains to lube, exhaust leaks to fix, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised at how much peppier it will be.

While you're at it, check the air pressure in the tires - this makes a pretty big difference to the handling.

Your problems specifically: Rust really isn't a big issue. Eventually the rust will eat away at your midpipe and then... well, you'll have to get it patched or get a new one. You'll know when your scooter starts sounding racier (louder!). Who knows - maybe you'll like it and want to leave the hole!

As for the grinding sound.. ah. I don't know, sorry. It could be lots of things. Is the sound coming from the engine? Or is it from the suspension? Does it make that noise when you're giving it gas or coasting or both? Does a lot of smoke come out of your tailpipe when you're riding along?
Qinella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
Qinella wrote:
Lots of good information on here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge IlIlNine. I've got a question about maintenance. I've had my 49cc scooter for almost a year now. I've never done any kind of maintenance on it so I'm wondering if there's anything I should do. It still functions fine and the brakes seem okay, but you never know. I did notice some rust on the exhaust shaft. Not sure if that's a problem. Also, today I noticed a strange grinding sound, kind of like the sound it makes when starting up, only it happens sporadically as I'm driving, and
especially after I go over a speed bump. Any ideas?

I think a sticky motorcycle thread isn't a bad idea. But, instead of whining about it, I figured I'd have a go at making a de-facto sticky thread. I think if this thread stays on the front page for long enough, maybe the almighty mods will cave. Who knows?

Maintenance is cheap! Do your scoot a favor and take it to any old motorcycle shop and: Get the oil and filter changed, new spark plug, air filter and new brake pads.

Your Korean's not too bad, right? Tell them exactly what you said here - that you haven't had any kind of maintenance done in a year and have them check everything out. There may be belts to tighten, chains to lube, exhaust leaks to fix, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised at how much peppier it will be.

While you're at it, check the air pressure in the tires - this makes a pretty big difference to the handling.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and do that. I think I can figure out how to describe those things in Korean but do you happen to know how to just request a general checkup? Would it be 검사?

Quote:
As for the grinding sound.. ah. I don't know, sorry. It could be lots of things. Is the sound coming from the engine? Or is it from the suspension? Does it make that noise when you're giving it gas or coasting or both? Does a lot of smoke come out of your tailpipe when you're riding along?

No visible smoke comes out, and the noise happens whether I'm coasting or accelerating. I'll just have the mechanic take a look at it and maybe he can figure it out.

Thanks for the help!

By the way, a random question: have you encountered a lot of Russian (or ex USSR state) workers at the bike shops? Sometimes I walk into a random bike place just to have a look around and I've me several such fellows at the various shops.
thekingofdisco

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip... With all this yellow sand about, might be worth checking out the filter. The dust isn't exactly great for your bike, or car for that matter.

When we have a clear day i'm going to be making a trip into gangwon-do, from seoul. If you have a 400cc+ could definitely do a trip with others.. I'm riding a gsxr750 now, so riding a bike under 400cc's would be tough.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekingofdisco wrote:
Another tip... With all this yellow sand about, might be worth checking out the filter. The dust isn't exactly great for your bike, or car for that matter.

When we have a clear day i'm going to be making a trip into gangwon-do, from seoul. If you have a 400cc+ could definitely do a trip with others.. I'm riding a gsxr750 now, so riding a bike under 400cc's would be tough.

Hey thekingofdisco! Good tip. I'd be up for the trip.

I'm sure the 750 screams -- I just can't seem to fit on any other supersports. The f4i works (though apparantly it looks a little small for me) and um .. I sat on a Hayabusa and that was nice too (but that's not exactly a supersport). All other sport bikes are extremely cramped. I'm 195cm.

Looks like I'll be holding on to the f4i!

Last edited by IlIlNine on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qinella wrote:
Yeah, I'll go ahead and do that. I think I can figure out how to describe those things in Korean but do you happen to know how to just request a general checkup? Would it be 검사?

검사 아니면 그냥 확인 도 되요! Actually, my Korean isn't great -- but if I throw a lot of similarly meaning words around, they get the point!

Qinella wrote:

No visible smoke comes out, and the noise happens whether I'm coasting or accelerating. I'll just have the mechanic take a look at it and maybe he can figure it out.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah - that's probably the best idea. I tinker with my bike - but I'm not really good enough to troubleshoot over the internet like this.

Qinella wrote:

By the way, a random question: have you encountered a lot of Russian (or ex USSR state) workers at the bike shops? Sometimes I walk into a random bike place just to have a look around and I've me several such fellows at the various shops.

Really? No, I haven't. That's wierd. ex-KGB agents in hiding? You never know![/quote]
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine, thanks for spending the time time write all of that.

To everyone else: I recommend taking a motorcycle driving course if you've never properly learned to ride a cycle. Unfortunately, I don't know if they are available in Korea. My friends who took a certified course were able to save their asses in dangerous situations. My friends who didn't, the ones who "learned from a friend," crashed their bikes by making mistakes we learned to avoid in the cycle course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 2 of 181

Jump to: