Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
Speaking of tracks - apparantly there's one in Yongin! .

oh please tell me this is true!!! anyone know more about this?
Antrugha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:

Antrugha: Re: the circle tour. What route did you take on the east coast? Hwy 7 is okay for the more northerly bits, but down towards the middle of the country it's restricted to motorcycle traffic (I got pulled over because of it - and not because I was going 170kph! Laughing They made me turn around)

Really? I had no problems sticking on the route. I took Hwy 7 down from Seokcho to Busan, Hwy 2 to Mokpo and then up the west coast a little until I cut in and took Hwy 19 straight back to Wonju. I did notice that parts of Hwy 7 weren't meant for bikes but I just kept on it and even passed a few cops on the way who didn't seem to care much. This may be because I'm riding a 125 cc bike and so I couldn't speed if I wanted to (although the bike looks a little bigger than it is), but the riding was really easy going and quite beautiful. I wish I could go back and do that east coast route again. The South coast route was nice too and the west coast was more or less boring/a mud pit (that's why I cut in and just went straight home). If I were to do the trip again, I would start by visiting Soreaksan, take a day there, do the East coast thing over the course of 4 days, skip Busan entirely (what a hell-hole for riding bikes!), head to Mokpo over a couple of days, go to Jeju-do for 3-4 days and then come up. Alas, time wasn't a willing component of my trip (only 5 days off work). Regardless, it was a fantastic trip and I'm happy I did it. I was also quite happy with 125cc's, it was nice enough for me.
Hawkeye2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my new bike today (250 Mirage). It's not as ornery as my old YZ125 Yamaha dirt bike, but it runs all right. The man gave me 150,000 off the listed price, threw in a cable bike lock called 'lock and rock' and two helmets (that sold for 30,000 each--yikes). If those helmets sold for that little, I must have taken it hard on the cheapo luggage box he mounted on the back--380,000. Anybody know if that's a fair price? Seems kind of high to me.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerebroden wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:
Speaking of tracks - apparantly there's one in Yongin! .

oh please tell me this is true!!! anyone know more about this?

It's called Yongin Speedway and it's near Everland

The english site (it's not much of one) is here:

http://www.everland.com/htm/MultiLanguage/english/htm/Ev/EvNf_Spd.htm

and the Korean site is here:

http://www.everland.com/park/everland/neighbor/speedway/intro/intro.html

I guess you can't just go and race around -- they probably have special days set aside.. but I can't make any sense of it. I'll ask one of my buddies and get back to y'all!
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antrugha wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:

Antrugha: Re: the circle tour. What route did you take on the east coast? Hwy 7 is okay for the more northerly bits, but down towards the middle of the country it's restricted to motorcycle traffic (I got pulled over because of it - and not because I was going 170kph! Laughing They made me turn around)

Really? I had no problems sticking on the route. I took Hwy 7 down from Seokcho to Busan, Hwy 2 to Mokpo and then up the west coast a little until I cut in and took Hwy 19 straight back to Wonju. I did notice that parts of Hwy 7 weren't meant for bikes but I just kept on it and even passed a few cops on the way who didn't seem to care much. This may be because I'm riding a 125 cc bike and so I couldn't speed if I wanted to (although the bike looks a little bigger than it is), but the riding was really easy going and quite beautiful. I wish I could go back and do that east coast route again. The South coast route was nice too and the west coast was more or less boring/a mud pit (that's why I cut in and just went straight home). If I were to do the trip again, I would start by visiting Soreaksan, take a day there, do the East coast thing over the course of 4 days, skip Busan entirely (what a hell-hole for riding bikes!), head to Mokpo over a couple of days, go to Jeju-do for 3-4 days and then come up. Alas, time wasn't a willing component of my trip (only 5 days off work). Regardless, it was a fantastic trip and I'm happy I did it. I was also quite happy with 125cc's, it was nice enough for me.

I guess I just got unlucky. If there was no policeman there, I'm sure I could have just gone. I was pretty peeved that day, let me tell you!

I'll really have to do that circle trip sometime! The weather's getting nice!

Thanks for the post.
pauly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 125 Daelim Daystar back in August. I'm kind of getting bored with it, as it chugs uphill and I top out at 100 kmh, although a friend of mine thinks the speedometre is busted and actually tops out at 115 kmh. I also want to be able to go on daytrips, or longer, with my girlfriend, but on the 125, it's just not possible. So I'm looking at getting another bike, but I'm not sure what to buy. The Daystar is my first bike. I was looking at the new Hyosung Mirage 650, the Harley knockoff (wow, they copy everything in this country, don't they). When I told this to the owner of the shop I bought my Daystar at, he strongly recommended the Honda Shadow 650 (750?) over the Mirage. He says it's a solid, reliable bike and that he could get me a used one for 4 million won. What are your thoughts and recommendations on this? At my age (not that I'm ancient or anything) I wasn't sure if I wanted to go the crotch rocket route, hence the Shadow or Harley imitation. I'm happy with the Daystar. But, after reading about what some of you said about the CBR, it just might be tempting to try it out.
Wrench

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauly wrote:
I bought a 125 Daelim Daystar back in August. I'm kind of getting bored with it, as it chugs uphill and I top out at 100 kmh, although a friend of mine thinks the speedometre is busted and actually tops out at 115 kmh. I also want to be able to go on daytrips, or longer, with my girlfriend, but on the 125, it's just not possible. So I'm looking at getting another bike, but I'm not sure what to buy. The Daystar is my first bike. I was looking at the new Hyosung Mirage 650, the Harley knockoff (wow, they copy everything in this country, don't they). When I told this to the owner of the shop I bought my Daystar at, he strongly recommended the Honda Shadow 650 (750?) over the Mirage. He says it's a solid, reliable bike and that he could get me a used one for 4 million won. What are your thoughts and recommendations on this? At my age (not that I'm ancient or anything) I wasn't sure if I wanted to go the crotch rocket route, hence the Shadow or Harley imitation. I'm happy with the Daystar. But, after reading about what some of you said about the CBR, it just might be tempting to try it out.

Anything Japanese > Anything Korean.

I wouldn't recommand a CBR for cruising especially with your GF.. CBR is a sports bike and long distances because of the lower level of handle bars your upper back will get sore as hell after about 80 kilometers. Get a cruiser a Shadow is a good comfy cruiser.. Goldwing is better but a shadow is still quite nice. If you want a CB type bike get a Naked one the handle bars are higher and its much more comfortable to ride.., Plus a naked bike is not to far of a crotch rocket you can still lower your self and ride it like a crotch rocket. I had an old CB 700 Nighthawk, great bike, it was cheap too. I then got a CB400 Smaller but much better bike. Reliable and a great ride. I wish I had a Goldwing but alas it was out of my price range.

I like my comet for two reasons.. Its cheap for the parts and easy to get serviced.. Comet 250

But Hyosung can't make a transmission worth two cents. Its like shifting a russian tank. Under 10k you need a hammer to shift the bastard or a really heavy foot. Its almost imposible to shift the bastage into neutral from first as well the tolerance is so small that you miss it so a lot when the transmission is still under 10k because you need to reef on the shifter like a mofo. The electricals are also pretty lame. You chew up batteries pertty easily and the contacts for the turning signals rust easily. The carburated engine also chokes up pretty badly over 110kilometers.

To bad Hondas are prohibitively expensive here. Hondas FTW.. Well Kawis are good too.. Except I broke my colar bone on one.. (Motorcross)
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauly wrote:

Ah, I found I Honda Shadow 750 that I really liked, but alas no funds! It was priced at just over 5 mil and with a trade in on my Mirage 250 I was look'n at about 4 mil. I THINK 4 mil is a good deal, but naturally depends on the condition.

As for a Goldwing, that'd be a dream come true as I have several family members back home that own one. But, MAN, are they ever expensive! Guess I'll have ta wait until I win the Korean "lotto".
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a "Pan European" ST1300 kinda guy (for cruising) - but if you have to have the 6 cylinder engine - a used Valkyre (I've yet to see one here) is pretty nice.

The funny thing about goldwings though -- even though they're porky, massive, heavy beasts, they move pretty good in the turns! Quite surprising, really.

I'm really not a fan of harleys... but I'm not offended by them or anything! Anything on two wheels is cool, IMO.

Speaking of cool -- if you like bikes, check out the area around hannam-d0ng where the ducati/MV Augusta/Aprilia dealer is. They're snobs in there (bikes cost 50 mil!) but the bikes ... man .. drool worthy. Down the street there's also a BMW motorcycle dealer. Not quite as drool-worthy, but still excellent.

Random thought: I wonder how the FTA will affect Motorcycles. I guess Harleys will get cheaper... I don't think any of the japanese bikes get built in the US, do they?
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
Speaking of cool -- if you like bikes, check out the area around hannam-d0ng where the ducati/MV Augusta/Aprilia dealer is. They're snobs in there (bikes cost 50 mil!) but the bikes ... man .. drool worthy. Down the street there's also a BMW motorcycle dealer. Not quite as drool-worthy, but still excellent.

my wife prohibits me from even entering that store.
Wrench

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get a BMW bike,, they are sexy..
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerebroden wrote:
IlIlNine wrote:

my wife prohibits me from even entering that store.

Hah! it's a good thing I don't have one of those! Cool Unfortunately, buying a MV Augusta F4 Senna is a little unrealistic right now..

Anyways..

Anyone going riding this weekend?[/img]
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not a fan of the 4 exhaust cans, the the rest of that bike is pure sex.
Svetlana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: BMW F650GS Dakar Reply with quote

I have been wanting to get into motorcycles for a while since I met Ewan McGregor and his friend Charley when they were passing through Ukraine in April 2004 and they showed me their bikes. They were such huge machines! When you see motorcycles on the street from a distance they look smaller, but up close they look so huge. Anyway, since then I have wanted to learn how to ride one and be able to travel all over. Their production manager sent me a copy of their book when it was first published, and it was inspiring to read about what they did.

I have never driven a motorcycle, but I have done lots of reading about it and I want a BMW F650GS Dakar. It is smaller than the big bikes they had, but still can do all the same things. And personally I think it looks nicer.

If anyone has one in Seoul, I would love to try it out! Message me.

SeoulFinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone tell me how much is the compulsory insurance? Is it tiered according to the displacement of the engine or by weight/power (Kg/KW) ratio like in Finland?

In case the only thing matters is the CC, how much $$$ do I have to pay to get the compulsory insurance for

1) 125 cc
2) 250 cc

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 4 of 181

Jump to: