Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The OFFICIAL Motorcycle/Scooter thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 179, 180, 181  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discostar23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey op,

do u knw where one can get a decent street map for driving around seoul?
Wrench

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulFinn wrote:
Could someone tell me how much is the compulsory insurance? Is it tiered according to the displacement of the engine or by weight/power (Kg/KW) ratio like in Finland?

In case the only thing matters is the CC, how much $$$ do I have to pay to get the compulsory insurance for

1) 125 cc
2) 250 cc

Thank you!

Size of motor.

125 and 250 are 25k apart I paid 119 for a year on mine. but after 250 it sky rockets.
SeoulFinn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Now I only have to convince my woman that we really do not need a car. That can't be too difficult, right? Wink
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

discostar23 wrote:
hey op,

do u knw where one can get a decent street map for driving around seoul?

Hey!

Well -- hm. If you want a book, every bookstore has map books at various scales. (~30,000won) (they're usually pretty big)

The cheapest color navigation I've seen is something like ~130,000 won. (not a bad option, really)

You can also buy a copy of EZguider (from, say, the guys in the tunnel at yongsan) or simply use naver's maps on your computer (but that's not too practical for riding around).

All of the maps I've mentioned are in Korean.

Personally, I try to commit where I'm going to to memory and give myself lots of time if I'm going somewhere the first time. I usually use a copy of EZguider, because it's faster than the internet mapping sites.

Last edited by IlIlNine on Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrench wrote:
SeoulFinn wrote:
Could someone tell me how much is the compulsory insurance? Is it tiered according to the displacement of the engine or by weight/power (Kg/KW) ratio like in Finland?

In case the only thing matters is the CC, how much $$$ do I have to pay to get the compulsory insurance for

1) 125 cc
2) 250 cc

Thank you!

Size of motor.

125 and 250 are 25k apart I paid 119 for a year on mine. but after 250 it sky rockets.

Apparantly though after 250 it doesn't metter. My insurance didn't change going from my 250 to my 600. Insurance for me is something like 250,000. It's still resonable - well .. it would be if it covered theft.
Antrugha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apparantly though after 250 it doesn't metter. My insurance didn't change going from my 250 to my 600. Insurance for me is something like 250,000. It's still resonable - well .. it would be if it covered theft.

yeesh, i would have thought that would be good. My insurance here in korea is 120K for my 125 cc bike, but back home, I was looking into getting a bike when I'm back and the quoted price for a shadow 750 or cbr 600 or even a ninja 400 starts at $6000 per year... yikes!

i hate being under 25 sometimes
Antrugha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, as a side, if anyone wants to see pics from my motorcycle trip, they can be found at http://www.giraffemonkey.ca/ani/albums/motorcycle/

wish i had a good vacation long enough to go do that again before I leave. Anyway, I was probably going to be selling my bike in mid to late May if anyone is interested. Custom paint, perfect working order and been babied since I got it. PM me for details.

Also, what roads do you guys usually ride here in Gangwon-Do? i'm trying to find a few new ones. My favorite one so far is highway 19 between wonju and chungju. It's a real nice ride. Any other suggestions?
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antrugha wrote:

yeesh, i would have thought that would be good. My insurance here in korea is 120K for my 125 cc bike, but back home, I was looking into getting a bike when I'm back and the quoted price for a shadow 750 or cbr 600 or even a ninja 400 starts at $6000 per year... yikes!

i hate being under 25 sometimes

wow you were getting screwed. My R1 insurance was going to be only $4800 for full coverage including theft. but since in Fl. you don't have to have insurance if you finance under 10K I was safe. But my Virago was only $120 per year with full coverage and it was a 750. and I was 22 at the time.
Oh and P.S. the "come on officer I've got 150 horsepower and only 400 pounds of weight between my legs, its REALLY hard to do the speedlimit" does not get you out of any speeding tickets.
thekingofdisco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a decent bag for doing trips with (fed up with back-packs),

http://www.lockitt.com/OxfordluggageHumpback.htm

the oxford tailpack at 120USD looks about perfect, but I haven't been able to find any good quality bike bags at all in korea. Looks like I will have to order through the states - anyone know of good bags, or a place in korea which has a good selection?

Also need to get some decent frame sliders and swingarm spools etc, again not been able to find any good quality ones here. Anyone know of good brands available in Korea? I might order again from abroad and get a set from motovation, as I know they're rock solid.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. What the hell is that?
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get sliders on your bike ASAP...and no I wouldn't buy them from here, no way in hell. It's not worth it,
I'm not sure if you've got a 1k or a 750 but here is a link to a company that sells good quality products and ships fast.

http://www.tobefast.com/detail.aspx?ID=911

also are you looking for a tail bag or a tank bag?
Worried about scratches? Magnetic or straps to hold it down?
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame Sliders?

Look at Vortex. Used at racetracks all over the place. They're good stuff.

Also, another place to order from is

http://www.denniskirk.com Or http://www.newenough.com

Both those sites have great clearance sections and have no problems shipping internationally.

Just be careful to keep your total under USD150 - or else the KOREAN MAN will ding you with an extra 30% or so.[/url]
Cerebroden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't buy framesliders used....they are designed to be a one and done type deal. And make sure whatever you buy is pure delrin, don't get those shiny ass ones with metallic ends they are garbage in a low side. I'm guessing since your asking for spools you put your bike on a rear stand. Do you keep it inside? (I know I would) or is it just for changing the oil?
thekingofdisco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I was never going to buy them used!!! Not sure why you would think I would do that lol... Also I'm with you on the shiny metallic ends, they just break off so easily. Oh and yes I do keep it inside.

Also about vortex, I know they pretty good, but I used to have motovation sliders before and they are also highly regarded... so i'm inclined to go with what i did before. and as it's for street (as it's hard to find tracks here, i'm inclined to go with no-cut ones).

On the use of delrin for sliders... I copied this from the motovation site:

Frame Slider Material

Motovation Accessories uses a proprietary High Molecular Density (HMD) formulation of nylon. This nylon is impregnated during the extrusion process with UV inhibitors to resist destabilization of the molecular matrix and discoloration during prolonged UV exposure. This formulation is also molybdenum disulfide infused to give it the same lubricating properties as Delrin. This formulation is 75% more resistant to abrasion than Delrin and exhibits a reduced propensity to "chunk off" or "break off" during extended abrasive events and it's 'slickness' reduces it 'grabby-ness' during slides that may cause your bike to tumble and cause more damage.

What about Delrin or ABS?

Many frame slider manufacturers use them because it much softer, much cheaper and easier to machine, i.e. the material flakes off readily in a lathe and is much easier on the tools. The reason why Delrin is easier to work with therefore makes it a much less suitable choice than our selection for frame slider material. Notice in the pictures on the left that our material shows stringy edges at the point of abrasion. Delrin does not do this. It chunks and breaks off on impact much more readily. Furthermore, Delrin is not UV stabilized and will discolor or grey in sunlight which will further downgrade it's structural strength.

From this and from what people I know have said, I think I will not go with delrin.

Regarding bags... well I have thought about the tank, but if I fill it up, it would be impossible to tuck in on long rides, and I don't want scratches too! the magnetic jobs look pretty good, but I reckon a tailbag would be a best bet, like the oxford humpback i mentioned.

But everything unfortunately seems as i had thought.... buy abroad Sad
aldershot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: BMW F650GS Dakar Reply with quote

Svetlana wrote:
I have been wanting to get into motorcycles for a while since I met Ewan McGregor and his friend Charley when they were passing through Ukraine in April 2004 and they showed me their bikes. They were such huge machines! When you see motorcycles on the street from a distance they look smaller, but up close they look so huge. Anyway, since then I have wanted to learn how to ride one and be able to travel all over. Their production manager sent me a copy of their book when it was first published, and it was inspiring to read about what they did.

I have never driven a motorcycle, but I have done lots of reading about it and I want a BMW F650GS Dakar. It is smaller than the big bikes they had, but still can do all the same things. And personally I think it looks nicer.

If anyone has one in Seoul, I would love to try it out! Message me.

i just finished watching that show with ewan and charlie, called "the long way round". man, what an inspirational journey!! it's cool you got to meet them during that trek. (btw, the journey starts in london, travels through europe, russia, kazakhstan, mongolia, siberia, over to alaska, through canada and across the U.S.-- all on bikes).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 179, 180, 181  Next
Page 5 of 181

Jump to: