Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immigration Trolls on english spectrum?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Immigration Trolls on english spectrum? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've heard that people from immigration troll on the englishspectrum website and even put up fake advertisements to catch foreigners doing privates. Can anyone refute or substantiate these rumors? Does anyone know anyone personally that has been caught in this manner?

Should I worry about contacting people on that site in order to find private classes? What do you think?

I've also heard that the whole private teaching thing is a bit of a legal 'grey' area. Does the law clearly state that it is illegal to do privates?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not gray. It is illegal to work anywhere except the address of the school that gave you your visa. If they send you somewhere else to teach, you are teaching illegally and potentially face deportation. (unlikely, but potentially)

teaching privates anywhere - illegal 100%

Don't know anything about Englishspectrum.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Immigration Trolls on english spectrum? Reply with quote

kylehawkins2000 wrote:
Hello all,

I've heard that people from immigration troll on the englishspectrum website and even put up fake advertisements to catch foreigners doing privates.

All I can say if it is true, it's about time someone did something about teachers doing privates. If you violate laws, you should expect consequences.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't immigration troll teaching websites? Sure is a heck of a lot cheaper to sit back and let them roll in than to send someone out to follow people around. You could proably smell them a mile away though as I imagine a big part of the "interview" would be about what other jobs you're teaching. That would be where they nail you. Caveat Emptor
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
It is not gray. It is illegal to work anywhere except the address of the school that gave you your visa.

you can get permission to work in other locations. This probably doesn't extend to 1-on-1 privates, but other hakwons/businesses is permissible.
BTM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just assumed many of those ads were traps for the unwary.

Also, what gang ah jee said.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gang ah jee wrote:
kimcheeking wrote:
It is not gray. It is illegal to work anywhere except the address of the school that gave you your visa.

you can get permission to work in other locations. This probably doesn't extend to 1-on-1 privates, but other hakwons/businesses is permissible.

I knew that, I just forgot to mention it. woops
hadeshorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: I just want to know Reply with quote

Why do you want people to stop teaching privates? Is this an ethical problem you have with it or is it because you own a hagwon and you dont want to lose business?
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the Korean government cant get your taxes that way.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: I just want to know Reply with quote

hadeshorn wrote:
Why do you want people to stop teaching privates? Is this an ethical problem you have with it or is it because you own a hagwon and you dont want to lose business?

Who the hell said that? The subject was "is it illegal?" to which the answer is "yes".
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely 100% illegal. How do I know? Had to mindwrestle with my 'boss', translate sh*t for brains, to get him to finally knuckle under and get that bl**dy permission stamp in my passport so that I can teach at another location. It only took ten days and way too much of my energy, but he finally buckled before I did. Yeah! Sometimes you win 'em, sometimes you don't.
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Welll Reply with quote

I got busted for working illegally at a school, as many of you know....

I got my new E-2 now though! Thank goodness!

Last edited by Derrek on Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
JackSarang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Immigration is an imcompetant and corrupt entity. I seriously doubt they have the resources to troll a crappy internet message board.

With that said, if the supposed "bounty" on fingering illegal teachers is real, it wouldn't surprise me that alot of those offers are from people looking to cash in.

On the other hand, alot of them look fairly legitimate. All the illegal ones are basically filling in part-time at hogwans or covering for a teacher while they're on vacation.

Its the offers for private 1v1 teaching that I'd be most suspicious of.
Mankind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An immigration agent showed up at my wifes office yesterday (she works for the labour board) asking if anyone would tell him the names and details of any workers, who they knew had visa violations. Nobody helped him, but it makes you wonder.

HAND Smile
crazykiwi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the hell said that? The subject was "is it illegal?" to which the answer is "yes".
Quote:

this guy did

All I can say if it is true, it's about time someone did something about teachers doing privates

yes, the original post was asking if "privates" were illigal and this guy tries to hijack the thread by making yet another comment about the why private teachers should be hated the world round. so in answer to your question, this guy was the one that hadeshorn was refering to. work it brother (or sister)

my 2 cents

crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: