Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life in Pohang
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buliarios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just arrived in Pohang. Very first time in Korea. Be gentle Shocked
Anyone in Pohang still check out this thread? Contains a few good tips
thegadfly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Pohang, Buliarios!

Yeah, I check out the thread from time to time...and I am still here Shocked
ibeattheborg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: what happened to all the old 'pohangstas' ? Reply with quote

Just read the whole saga started by Gadfly in 2003 because a recruiter was pressuring me to take a job there. It was an interesting read but I' m not going there.
thegadfly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pretty nice place -- been here about 8 years now...most of the warnings were for naught (the air is clean, the people nice, and no three-headed taxi drivers), though there IS a lack of decent night life.... I DO enjoy the peace and quiet that can be found here, and the green and growing things one can see with so little effort....
Chanty.Stovall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all reading this thread! I arrived in Pohang a few weeks ago and I am interested in meeting some new people. I live pretty close to downtown, just blocks away from the 6 way intersection. I have walked around my area almost every night and have taken notice of a bar called the portabello (sp?) that looks interesting. Anyways, if there is anyone in Pohang who would like to get together some time for an americano and the likes, or a beer, then feel free to post here Smile
thegadfly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chanty,

If you are near the 6-way, then you have probably found the "riverwalk" street -- shopping and Starbuck's and Pohang Cinema....

Going from the 6-way down toward the post office on the walking street with the little, lit stream, you will pass Whistler's on the left, and close to McDonald's is Mindy's -- both are expat bars. In between those two places, there is a Central Park coffee shop-ish kind of place -- second floor. English club meets there several times a week.

Friday nights at 8:30-ish or so (when I go, I go at 9-ish) will have lots of Koreans and foreigners gathered to practice English...it is a decent way to meet folks from many different walks of life. Not everyone there is a barhopper, but...the meetings feel like teaching a class. The foreigners are expected to moderate and keep the discussion going, but we only have to chip in 2,000 won for our coffee drinks, whereas the Koreans have to pay for their own drinks plus some extra to cover the foreigners....

Second round starts at 10:30 pm, and so far as I know, is now in the same place -- Central Park. The nights tend to go on from there, but as I said, it is a good way to initially meet a lot of different people, and pretty close to where you live....

Cheers, and welcome to Pohang!
Chanty.Stovall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I checked out the English club last night and met quite a few people. I can barely remember any names and will probably go back for another round next week. All the other places you mentioned sound familiar as well.

So far it feels like a tight community here. Good support from the expats and some Koreans alike. The traffic is kind of fierce at times. Easy to find a taxi though. I just need to buckle down the attention spans of some of the 6th graders while teaching. This coastal city keeps the times rolling.

Cheers!
markymark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a great tattoo shop, Tattooism, to check out if your in Pohang.

here is a link to the google map location

http://g.co/maps/fwkt
eat_yeot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if there's an Indian restaurant in Pohang? Might head there to meet a friend over vacation and wanted to try one.
Pohanger2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Pohang.. Reply with quote

Do any one know If guys really stop playing frisbee in Pohang. We started in 2009, and I think it lasted for couple years. But now I can find any contacts again.
MichaelFitz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: New to Pohang - where can I meet other native speakers Reply with quote

Hi all,

I really was happy to find this thread and read everything written! I just recently accepted a job in Pohang and moved here last Sunday. Been busy getting settled in, but after a week, starting to miss speaking to other foreigners. This thread really gave me the perspective on this steeltown that I needed.

Just wondering where I can meet some of you guys? I live down near HomePlus and CGV. I thought THIS was the downtown (and the local beer bars full of Korean girls that make you buy them a beer so they can sit and stare at you as they don't speak English.....), but this thread seems to indicate there is another downtown with ex-pat bars (Central Park?). Anyone know how I can find it, and I will drop by for the Friday night English exchange (tonight is Friday).

By the way, the guy asking about frisbee? I work at MBC, and the Korean guys here are starting up a frisbee-golf league for Korea. The got al the equipment and working on the website. So, any foreigners interested in getting involved, I can hook you up with them.

Mike
Pohanger2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Pohang - where can I meet other native speakers Reply with quote

MichaelFitz wrote:
Hi all,

I really was happy to find this thread and read everything written! I just recently accepted a job in Pohang and moved here last Sunday. Been busy getting settled in, but after a week, starting to miss speaking to other foreigners. This thread really gave me the perspective on this steeltown that I needed.

Just wondering where I can meet some of you guys? I live down near HomePlus and CGV. I thought THIS was the downtown (and the local beer bars full of Korean girls that make you buy them a beer so they can sit and stare at you as they don't speak English.....), but this thread seems to indicate there is another downtown with ex-pat bars (Central Park?). Anyone know how I can find it, and I will drop by for the Friday night English exchange (tonight is Friday).

By the way, the guy asking about frisbee? I work at MBC, and the Korean guys here are starting up a frisbee-golf league for Korea. The got al the equipment and working on the website. So, any foreigners interested in getting involved, I can hook you up with them.

Mike

Hi Mike,

If there is opportunity to start playing frisbee again these are great news!
Unfortunately, cant advice you place full of expats.
How do you guys gonna spend time at English exchange`s?
MichaelFitz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pohanger2,

Just give my friend Mr. Choe a call or email (tell him I sent you, Michael):

Choe Sang-Seog, 010-3824-2628, [email protected]

He is Korean, but is fluent in English also.

He is looking for others that want to get involved in the frisbee-golf they are setting up. I suggested a foreigner vs. Korean tournament sometime., They say they should have it up and running next month, when the weather is better. They are making 18 holes, with interesting hazards, etc. I think.

Do you know where that "Central Park Restaurant" is located, and other ex-pat bars in Pohang (Buk-gu, Nam-gu?) I am having trouble locating via google, but would love to attend the PEC meeting this evening (I can go by taxi).

Mike

Mike
Pohanger2

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Pohang Muay Thai Boxing club Reply with quote

Hi, guys, If anyone interested in Muya Thai training or boxing itself, I started going to 정무관, which is in downtown of Pohang at 남구 상도동 18-99 (상대파출소 맞은편)

ph. 054-282.6996

I am an only foreigner, and hope it can help you who`s interested.

good luck!
zpeanut

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: coutning down.. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to have found a thread on Pohang! My partner found a job in POSCO this year, so we've both come to Korea. I'm currently in Seoul learning Korean and he's started his job already. It's only been about 8 weeks. I guess sooner or later I'm going to have to go down there... and I'm a little worried Shocked

According to my partner theres not much to do there, so it's pretty boring. I don't know if this is due to him not having much free time because of work and post work gatherings...but I've also met an ex POTECH researcher here in Seoul and she's also glad to have got out of there.

I'm originally from Sydney, Australia. I like Seoul for it's nightlife but I've had a respiritory infecton for the whole time I've been here. I just can't believe how polluted it is! If Pohang is cleaner than Seoul or anything like home, I'd be over the moon.

Also, I was an English teacher back in OZ, so I've been told that POSEF would be a good place for me to work. It seems to be pretty good but seeing as I've only read posts from awhile ago, I'd like to know whether things are still that great.

I guess my questions are:

1. What is life in Pohang like today?
2. Does anyone have any experience working in POSEF?

Thanks for reading Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 33 of 34

Jump to: