Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING: Foreigners are Being Watched!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodness. Ha ha.... (I was actually wanting to get one of these vans to cruise around Myeongdong with and to pimp my ride. Surprised )
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is so simple that it's amazing more people don't implement it. Remember that the targets of those in fear of illegal teaching of English are only White males. If you're White, Male and like to walk in public, all you have to do is dress in drag. Problem solved! Mind you, you'll have to avoid taking the subway anywhere; otherwise, you'll be subject to those who target females for a quick grope.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
The solution is so simple that it's amazing more people don't implement it. Remember that the targets of those in fear of illegal teaching of English are only White males. If you're White, Male and like to walk in public, all you have to do is dress in drag. Problem solved! Mind you, you'll have to avoid taking the subway anywhere; otherwise, you'll be subject to those who target females for a quick grope.

Smart advice. You sir are clearly a leading officer of the WURMFWMF (Wayguk Underground Revolution Movement For White Man's Freedom)
newb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that I was watching a Korean talk show program (don't recall if it was MBN or JTBC) where they invited a panel of Korean police inspectors discussing how to prevent/avoid crime during holiday season, namely sex crime.

One inspector advised that Korean women to stay away from Itaewon, because you guessed it, too many waygooks who are English instructors are hanging around in Itaewon. He added that English instructors are mostly terrible people who always prey on Korean women.

I wasn't really shocked or upset when I heard this police inspector said this. I guess I'm too used to their labeling now. Shocked
wylies99

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
pocariboy73 wrote:
The hagwon buses with the banners so far seem to be as follows: Little America, ULS, Jung-Chul, Yang-G ELS, and Korean Herald.

I've heard many bad things about the Korean Herald hagwon chain. A teacher who had been in Korean for years told me they are one of the worst. (Surprising, because the newspaper name/association makes them sound legit.) There are a lot of these schools, too. They must be very profitable.

The standard contract handed down from company headquarters says something like, "The employee agrees not to sexually molest students." So insulting.

Also, the contract does not include pension and speaks of health insurance in very ambiguous wording, giving the impression it is NHIC, when in actuality it is near worthless private insurance that covers almost nothing.

Don't E2s have to be registered as employees and not independent contractors, and don't they legally have to be signed up with NHIC? How can a company this big get away with breaking the law for so long?

FWIW I took a Herald school to labor and never received insurance or pension benefits. It was a few years ago but I would never recommend that chain. Yes, I know this is an old thread.
Ranman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, is this a normal thing? I'm starting teaching there soon for the first time and this is kind of freaking me out.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amazing thing is this. In Toronto there is a huge ad on the side of public buses for an immigration service that reads, "Wherever you are from, YOU BELONG IN CANADA". In Korea, the bus reads "All foreigners are being watched." The difference in ethos is astonishing. If someone drove around any Canadian city with a sign on a bus saying "All Koreans are being watched for illegal activity' they'd likely be stopped by the police. If it got media coverage it would be universally hostile to the message. Indeed, passers by would likely pull the sign off the bus and tell the driver that he ought to be ashamed of himself. But not in Korea. Noone in Daejeon seemed to be offended by the message on the side of the bus. Not the police, not the media, not passers by, not the ministry of education, ,,nobody. The same applied to PSY's horrid lyrics, and to that MBC documentary on the "dangers" of dating a foreigner. No one bats an eyelid. Confused
Beeyee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranman wrote:
Wait, is this a normal thing? I'm starting teaching there soon for the first time and this is kind of freaking me out.

They stopped doing this years ago.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
It's funny that I was watching a Korean talk show program (don't recall if it was MBN or JTBC) where they invited a panel of Korean police inspectors discussing how to prevent/avoid crime during holiday season, namely sex crime.

One inspector advised that Korean women to stay away from Itaewon, because you guessed it, too many waygooks who are English instructors are hanging around in Itaewon. He added that English instructors are mostly terrible people who always prey on Korean women.

I wasn't really shocked or upset when I heard this police inspector said this. I guess I'm too used to their labeling now. Shocked

Korea Sparkling
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:

Not to worry, the bongo truck operation is increasing its presence in Itaewon. They are working in tandem with that particular talk show. Remember it is a collective.

Your best strategy: always know your exits, be aware of your surroundings and live mobile so you can escape quickly. Owning a small boat you can hide on a beach is a boon too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Page 35 of 35

Jump to: