Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immigration doesn't need new FBI CBC but school wants it
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebektionary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Immigration doesn't need new FBI CBC but school wants it Reply with quote

I'm American. Immigration is not requesting a new FBI CBC for my visa transfer but the school I'm going to work for is. If immigration isn't requiring it, why does the school need it? I haven't been back to America since last time I got the check done. I'm going home next month, but even if I hypothetically got arrested for something, it wouldn't even be able to show up on the check in time. It just seems silly to have to go through all that money, effort, and waiting time to get a new one. I asked if I could just get a Korean criminal background check but they haven't answered yet. Should I just suck it up and get the American one done? It just seems kind of silly and pointless if its not required for immigration.
whiteshoes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation, and I'm going to get mine. Yeah it's silly, but some jobs just want you to jump through hoops. Thankfully this hoop is the only one I've got and it's not that "hard" to do. Just a pain in the rear.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 2 choices.

i) Meet the employer's requirements for the job or
ii) for find another job (since they won't hire you without meeting THEIR requirements.

Immigration sets the minimum. An employer can certainly ask for more.

nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
An employer can certainly ask for more.

Even if it is entirely illogical and unreasonable?

The person has already supplied the necessary documents to a goverment body. Does the employer really think that immigration is lying?

My advice to the OP is to get copies of your documents from immigration and give these to your employer. If that does not suffice then tell them to where to go.

Its not like anyone of them actually reads or recognizes these documents. They just go in the bin, or are lost. Even immigration loses documents. Keeping records has never been part of Korean culture.
thebektionary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ttompatz - I never said that I was opposed to doing it. Of course I wouldn't sacrifice a good job I got just because getting the CBC is a pain. I was just asking if it was entirely necessary. They said "we need it again according to Korean law". I don't think that is true but I'm just going to get it anyway. They said it doesn't matter when they get it as long as they get it so at least I'm under no time constraints.
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebektionary wrote:
Ttompatz - I never said that I was opposed to doing it. Of course I wouldn't sacrifice a good job I got just because getting the CBC is a pain. I was just asking if it was entirely necessary. They said "we need it again according to Korean law". I don't think that is true but I'm just going to get it anyway. They said it doesn't matter when they get it as long as they get it so at least I'm under no time constraints.

Stop that! Stop iiiitttt. Bad expat!

Stop expecting logic. You are dealing with two entities that never deal well with logic. One bureaucracies which all the same all over the world when it comes to needless paperwork and red tape. Second is this is Korea, which is filled with Koreans who at times are not very good at thinking outside of the box. Lateral thinking! What is that?

Also, there could sort of be a confusion abound. You may be expecting your employer to know the details on how thinks work. Likely they don't. They are going to ask for what they think is needed. Never mind that you are already in country and certain requirements are completely different lets say from a just arrived newbie. Your employer can be stubborn and just demand what they want becuase well it is what they want. Trying to get them to understand "but...." is the problem.

Another possibility is something is not getting said. Employer says they want a FBI check, but it is not for immigration? What is not being said is "Who wants it?". You fill in the blank and think your employer wants one? But why? I think, the unsaid "who" is the Education Department/MOE wants the FBI check. If you have submitted before to immigration a FBI check, you will want to go in and get a copy. Hopefully that will suffice.

Still while you are back home, get a FBI check in the works. Get two. They are nice to have when things go south.

Good Luck
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Immigration doesn't need new FBI CBC but school wants it Reply with quote

thebektionary wrote:
I'm American. Immigration is not requesting a new FBI CBC for my visa transfer but the school I'm going to work for is. If immigration isn't requiring it, why does the school need it? I haven't been back to America since last time I got the check done. I'm going home next month, but even if I hypothetically got arrested for something, it wouldn't even be able to show up on the check in time. It just seems silly to have to go through all that money, effort, and waiting time to get a new one. I asked if I could just get a Korean criminal background check but they haven't answered yet. Should I just suck it up and get the American one done? It just seems kind of silly and pointless if its not required for immigration.

The MOE wants their copy as well...things here aren't shared that well between different government agencies. You should be able to get a copy made from the one at Immigration and that should suffice.
At least it worked for me.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Immigration doesn't need new FBI CBC but school wants it Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:

At least it worked for me.

Thats the thing. Immi offices & Offices of Education all tend to differ widely in their requirements. Fact of life in Korea: different local hoops. Not something you can argue.

My immi office didnt even keep my original docs, they just entered them as done & mailed them on to the Office of Ed. Everyone was evidently satisfied.

Best luck.
nautilus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
You may be expecting your employer to know the details on how thinks work. Likely they don't. They are going to ask for what they think is needed.

A lot of employers don't realise that you already had to provide an apostilled cbc to get an E2.

Even some individual immigration officers don't seem to realise it- and ask for another new one again.

If your documents were submitted to a korean embassy in a foreign country, it is entirely possible that korean immigration- in Korea- will not know how to access them.

Thanks to the adverse media spotlight on english teachers, it has become all the rage for anyone and everyone to ask a foreigner for an apostilled criminal check.
thebektionary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
thebektionary wrote:

Stop that! Stop iiiitttt. Bad expat!

Stop expecting logic. You are dealing with two entities that never deal well with logic. One bureaucracies which all the same all over the world when it comes to needless paperwork and red tape. Second is this is Korea, which is filled with Koreans who at times are not very good at thinking outside of the box. Lateral thinking! What is that?

Also, there could sort of be a confusion abound. You may be expecting your employer to know the details on how thinks work. Likely they don't. They are going to ask for what they think is needed. Never mind that you are already in country and certain requirements are completely different lets say from a just arrived newbie. Your employer can be stubborn and just demand what they want becuase well it is what they want. Trying to get them to understand "but...." is the problem.

Another possibility is something is not getting said. Employer says they want a FBI check, but it is not for immigration? What is not being said is "Who wants it?". You fill in the blank and think your employer wants one? But why? I think, the unsaid "who" is the Education Department/MOE wants the FBI check. If you have submitted before to immigration a FBI check, you will want to go in and get a copy. Hopefully that will suffice.

Still while you are back home, get a FBI check in the works. Get two. They are nice to have when things go south.

Good Luck

Huh? From that message I was basically just saying that I'm going to get it done despite it being a pain. I think maybe you misunderstood me. But anyway, you're right, and thanks.
tanklor1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a school do this to me once. I had already spent three years in country and wasn't about to jump through any BS hoops. They asked for it after I landed the job and submitted the rest of my documents for the visa transfer. I told them to either give me a contract or give me back my documents so I could look for another school. I had a contract that same day and the background check was never mentioned again.
Malislamusrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the only bullshithoop you have to jump through, count yourself lucky.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malislamusrex wrote:
If that is the only bullshithoop you have to jump through, count yourself lucky.

Nonsense, if I were the OP I would NOT do it. Just tell your employer Okay but it will take about 4-6 months(depending on what country you're from). 4-6 months later just tell them you haven't received them yet, or the FBI lost or forgot to "apostille" the CRC and you'll have to start from the beginning again(it happened to me). In the meantime let them know or show them it's not necessary. I suspect your employer doesn't know his/her behind from a hole in the ground.
ethanshin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the immigration does not require you to hand in your CBC but the Ministry of Education does, and they ultimately decide if you are going to work as a teacher or not, even if you are just transferring jobs.

Immigration does not require you to hand in your CBC because not all immigrants want to work here as teachers. Some people have other jobs, maybe working for Samsung, etc. and for that you do not need to have your CBC checked.

Again, it is the Ministry of Education that wants it not your school or the immigration.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
An employer can certainly ask for more.

Even if it is entirely illogical and unreasonable?

The person has already supplied the necessary documents to a goverment body. Does the employer really think that immigration is lying?

My advice to the OP is to get copies of your documents from immigration and give these to your employer. If that does not suffice then tell them to where to go.

Its not like anyone of them actually reads or recognizes these documents. They just go in the bin, or are lost. Even immigration loses documents. Keeping records has never been part of Korean culture.

They want it even when we don't leave Korea for the year since we had the last one done. That makes no sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: