Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acrane86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Health insurance Reply with quote

Does my hagwon boss have to register me with the NHIS? Or is she free to choose whichever insurance she wants. My co-worker had to go to an insurance office with her and setup his insurance. He had to give his bank info. The insurance is 150k a month and she splits it with him. So 75k apiece. Do I have to use this insurance?
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could possibly get private insurance which is much cheaper, but doesn't cover as much.

If you are paying into the pension scheme then, yes...you do need to be enrolled in the NHIS.

It's a good sign IMO. Looks like your school is doing things legit.
Overture1928

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Health insurance Reply with quote

acrane86 wrote:
Does my hagwon boss have to register me with the NHIS? Or is she free to choose whichever insurance she wants. My co-worker had to go to an insurance office with her and setup his insurance. He had to give his bank info. The insurance is 150k a month and she splits it with him. So 75k apiece. Do I have to use this insurance?

Depends what is stated in your contract. If you are hired as an IC then they don't have to do shit and you're expected to register yourself and pay the contributions yourself. You shouldn't need to go to an insurance office, your hagwon should be able to register you on your behalf. However the amount your coworker is paying sounds about right if they are making about 2.3 million. Current NHIS rate is 6.07% of ur salary, then divided by 2 (50/50 split) http://www.nhic.or.kr/static/html/wbd/g/a/wbdga0404.html
Porksta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Health insurance Reply with quote

Overture1928 wrote:
acrane86 wrote:

Depends what is stated in your contract. If you are hired as an IC then they don't have to do shit and you're expected to register yourself and pay the contributions yourself. You shouldn't need to go to an insurance office, your hagwon should be able to register you on your behalf. However the amount your coworker is paying sounds about right if they are making about 2.3 million. Current NHIS rate is 6.07% of ur salary, then divided by 2 (50/50 split) http://www.nhic.or.kr/static/html/wbd/g/a/wbdga0404.html

However, being an IC on an E2 is next to impossible.
Overture1928

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Health insurance Reply with quote

Porksta wrote:
Overture1928 wrote:
acrane86 wrote:

However, being an IC on an E2 is next to impossible.

Yea but tons of teachers are hired with 3.3% tax and no medical/pension, which is essentially what IC is subjected to.
Wildbore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBwannabe wrote:
You could possibly get private insurance which is much cheaper, but doesn't cover as much.

If you are paying into the pension scheme then, yes...you do need to be enrolled in the NHIS.

It's a good sign IMO. Looks like your school is doing things legit.

Doesn't sound like its legit. If the employee handed over his bank info to the NHIS, that means he is likely registered as a IC. There is no need for them to have his bank account info or go to the office unless your registering as an IC. Sounds like the government will debit the 150,000 from his bank account, and the school will refund him half the bill to offset the cost. Now that the school has him registered as an IC, they can avoid paying pension. GOOD TRICK!
tob55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the number of hours a month the person is working. Unless an employee works more than 60 hours per month in the job the employer is only required to take out 3.3% in tax. If however, the employee works more than 60 hours per month then NHIS is not an option or replacement insurance. The employer is required to take out all of the various amounts of money for health, taxes, unemployment, retirement, etc. There are certain parts of the deductions the employee can opt out of, but NHIS IS NOT one of them if the employee works more than 60 hours per month. Some employers may be getting by with it, but eventually the employee will be stuck with a bill to NHIS when it comes to light that they were not insured, regardless of whether or not they had 'other' insurance. If the employer has not informed the employee of being hired as an Independent Contractor (IC), then there are some issues to be dealt with at the Labor Board, but it was my understanding that people who were on E2 visas would not qualify to be on an IC contract. Another legality that should be discussed with the Labor Board. How do I know? My wife owns and runs and academy, and we have employees.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.koreaobserver.com/english-teachers-duped-by-employers-in-korea-27140

According to this article one can NOT hire teachers on E-2 visas to be IC's (despite what certain people have claimed in the past)

Quote:
An official at the Korea Immigration Service said employers are no longer required to report income taxes of E-2 visa holders, making it practically impossible for the immigration office to detect the unethical practice of switching English teachers as freelancers instead of employees as promised when reporting to immigration.

“It is totally baseless that hakwons or those who run after school programs can hire E-2 visa holders as contract workers or freelancers,” the official said on the condition of anonymity.

“Hakwons or recruiters for after school programs (ASP) cannot hire E-2 visa holders as contract workers.”

He pointed out that foreigners would need a D-8 or D-9 visa and invest at least 100 million won ($89,000) in a company to work as a self-employee.

With a deep sigh he lamented that immigration has no authority over insurance and employee benefit disputes and is heavily understaffed to effectively crack down on hakwons’ unethical business practices.

(To read the whole thing click on link at top)
Wildbore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, they can't sponsor an E2 for a legit IC.

However, Health and Pension offices still allow E2 HOLDERS to register themselves as ICs, if they want.

So, in practice, an E2 can still have the same insurance an IC has. This is what the question is about and this is what sounds like happened to the OP. A quote from immigration won't change that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: