Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Escaped my hagwon horror story... Almost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamsicklebomb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Escaped my hagwon horror story... Almost Reply with quote

Like many people I landed my position because I was too naive to understand all the pitfalls of the Korean hagwon system from my couch back in the states.

Like many people I found myself working more hours than I bargained for (without overtime of course) in a less than hospitable environment.

Like many people I also decided to quit.

My advice to anyone wanting to do this is to be direct, but diplomatic as possible. I recorded the conversation with my boss as an extra precaution. When I asked directly about the LOR she said she would give me one upon finding my replacement. She said that since I made my decision within my three month probationary period, I would not have to pay the recruiter fee, that she would simply email the recruiter and he could find her a new teacher.

Not bad right?

So, I thought I was on my way out, but apparently my recruiter QUIT and is not honoring his three month guarantee.

I guess if I want out I have to find my own replacement.

What do I do? help. Crying or Very sad
Porksta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are under no obligation to find a new teacher or to pay a recruiter fee. That being said, your boss is under no obligation to give you an LOR.
BigBuds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porksta wrote:
You are under no obligation to find a new teacher or to pay a recruiter fee. That being said, your boss is under no obligation to give you an LOR.

Porksta is correct.

That is according to Korean Labor Laws.
dreamsicklebomb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, noted. Thanks for the info.

So, if I do want to remain on relatively good terms with my boss and get that letter, how would I go about even attempting to "help her" find a replacement?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamsicklebomb wrote:
Like many people I found myself working more hours than I bargained for (without overtime of course) in a less than hospitable environment.

The first time you did not get paid for overtime is when you should have flatly informed your employer that you cannot work overtime until you are paid for the overtime you already completed. You should also have informed the employer that overtime cannot be mandatory.

Quote:
Like many people I also decided to quit.

My advice to anyone wanting to do this is to be direct, but diplomatic as possible. I recorded the conversation with my boss as an extra precaution. When I asked directly about the LOR she said she would give me one upon finding my replacement. She said that since I made my decision within my three month probationary period, I would not have to pay the recruiter fee, that she would simply email the recruiter and he could find her a new teacher.

Not bad right?

So, I thought I was on my way out, but apparently my recruiter QUIT and is not honoring his three month guarantee.

I guess if I want out I have to find my own replacement.

What do I do? help. Crying or Very sad

Your boss has already made clear to you the boss's definition of "help": you pay for the recruiter, you pay for the substitute while waiting for the new teacher, and you pay for whatever other expenses magically appear to be related to replacing you. It's already gone far beyond "staying on good terms" with such a boss.

In short: you are not going to get paid nor will you receive a letter of release.

What should you do? The answer is quite simple. You just leave. Get up and go the day after payday. Return to your country and begin job hunting. Of course you need to ensure you have enough money saved so that in the likely event you still do not get paid on payday, you can still fly away.
trueblue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, you are being played and will continue to be so.

However, instead of going home, why not give Thailand a go?
metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, bail and head to China or Vietnam or something. If Korea is your first Asian country that you've lived in: Good news! There are better and more fun Asian countries awaiting you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: