Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need the 411 on Birth Control Pills in Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: I need the 411 on Birth Control Pills in Korea Reply with quote

Hey Ladies:

Can anyone tell me how to go about geting birth control pills in Korea?

Do you require a Doctor's prescription?

How much do they cost?

Are the readily available at most pharmacies?

Do they have Western or European Brands?

Thanks so much, any information you can give me on this topic is greatl appreciated!

Razz Razz
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bloke, but from what I've read on sites like these....

most of the Western brands are available in Korea, and for a much smaller cost.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they're sold over the counter.

Enjoy! Wink Laughing
zazaboo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: birth control Reply with quote

Birth control pills are readily available. Some western brands are available but not all. You may need to switch brands. There's one put out by an Irish company that most people like. There are also Korean birth control pills. Most women I know, including mysef, do not like them. The hormone levels seem to be a lot higher than the Irish birth control pills. Birth control pills are normally 6,000-10,000 won a month ($5 -$Cool. I'd give you the name of the Irish brand if I could, but I can't. They come in a white box with pink lettering. Ask a Korean friend to write down what you want. You do not need a prescription. Hope this helps.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no prescription necessary. My wife just goes to the pharmacy and asks for it. She buys some foreign brand, not sure which one though.
Cabbit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: The Pill Reply with quote

The irish pill mentioned is called "Mercilon". It comes in a pink box and is 6 000 won. I think it is similar to the mini-pill. If you ask at any pharmacy you will get it over the counter Very Happy .
Hope I helped....
The Bobster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to think about buying them outside your neighborhood pharmacy, also, especially if you're an attractive young female ... used to work with a teacher who fit that description, and our neighborhood was new and rather small. In spite of the fact that she she enjoyed going to Itaewon every weekend - plenty of clinics and yak-uks there, and they might speak English better - the young lady instead went across the street from the school.

Imagine her chagrin to discover that the lady behind the counter was the mother of one of her kindie kids Embarassed ... small neighborhood, I'll bet it was a nice bit of gossip, and maybe the housewives even started to fear for their husbands.

Oh, my ... Rolling Eyes
viva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all of your help.
I really appreciate it!
Razz
Boogie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard be careful cuz they are ancient here and you should just get them sent from home.
thinker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: PEE-IM-YAK Reply with quote

The Korean word is [color=indigo]"PEE-IM-YAK"[/color]> > > It's Mercilon like the guy said straight from Ireland and far from ancient> > >
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that if you do it standing up that you have nothing to worry about Wink
mokpochica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Schering pills widely available Reply with quote

I've found that the German company 'Schering' is a widely distributed brand for birth control here in South Korea. I wanted to get something similar to 'Ortho Tri-Cyclen', which I use in the U.S. I was told (by a ob/gyn here in Korea) to get 'Triquilar' which is produced by the Schering company. It does seem to be almost identical to Ortho and has even cleared up my complexion some, like Ortho claims to do. It is more expensive than some other kinds of birth control, but I think it's better than many of the other ones. It costs 10,000 won per month.

Some smaller pharmacies don't have it, but if you go to a large pharmacy they most likely will. And you don't need a prescription or anything. Just as for Tuh-rick-i-lah pi im yak.
viva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much mokpochica Very Happy

I am taking OrthoTryCyclen now, so I'm happy that I know know how to ask for a similar pill.

Much appreciated!
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: glad to help Reply with quote

No problem. I'm happy that I can help and save you the trip to the OB/GYN that I thought I had to take when I came to Korea. Or using birth control medicine that messes with your system.

I went to the OB/GYN when I came here because I thought you had to have a prescription to get OC pills. They did an X-ray of my ovaries using a probe-like thing with a condom on it. It was so weird. Anyone else ever heard of this in Korea or anywhere? Anyway, I guess my ovaries are healthy.
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Abstinance Reply with quote

This is the best way and it saves money Very Happy
triviality

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they sell the Patch (Ortho Evra) in Korea? I'm moving to Pusan soon, and am quite attached to the Patch versus daily pills. Is there any hormonal contraception that comes in a different form other than pill (patch, ring, etc.)? If not, would the equivalent of Ortho Tri-Cyclen be the lowest level of hormones?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: