Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need the 411 on Birth Control Pills in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yukiko_Fey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take Yaz back in the States and really miss the benefits of being on the pill. Does anyone know if Yaz is readily available in Korea or of a similar alternative?
aschmies

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: amount Reply with quote

Tuh-rick-i-lah pi im yak.

haha, love it
sallymonster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emetib wrote:
Anyone seen anything comparable to Seasonique over there? I'm a bit particular about mine because I'm using it to treat Endometriosis. I more than likely will have another 3 month pack from my OB/GYN before I leave, but if I can have an idea of what is over there so I can coordinate with her so I can know what to ask for, it would be wonderful. The drug hormone is levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol tablets) 0.15 mg/0.03mg (weeks 1-12) and (ethinyl estradiol tablets) 0.01 mg ( for week 13).

I'm also looking for Seasonale/Seasoninque or something similar. Do they sell anything like Seasonique in Korea?
Lorilou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in need of birth control pills, as my doc back in the states would only give me a 3 month supply. How do you go about getting bc pills? I hear conflicting info-- some say you need a prescription and some say you can go to any pharmacy and buy them. If the latter is true, how do I ask for them (what's birth control pills in Korean, and is there a particular brand I need to ask for)? I was taking yaz, and would really like to continue taking it. Is that, or something similar, available here? Any information at all would be fabulous!

I know I'm probably repeating the same question over again, but since this thread goes back for a few years, I want to make sure I'm getting up-to-the-date info. Thanks!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to a pharmacy, I went with an empty pack and they showed me three differnt kinds. I picked the one that was by the same maker.
nicmunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular or generic birth control pills are available over the counter at the pharmacy. The Korean word for birth control pill is: 피임알약 (pi-im-al-yag). Thanks google translate. From what I've heard, it is cheap.

I also prefer Yaz (the other pills I tried made me feel nauseous for half the month)... anyway, I recently tried to get Yaz at the pharmacy and he told me I needed a prescription. So, I had a Korean friend help me find a lady doctor and she went with me to the appointment. They didn't do an examination, just asked a few questions about why I needed this specific birth control and my Korean friend explained. I live in a tiny town, so the doctor didn't speak any English, I'm sure if you were in a bigger city you could find a doctor that knows enough English to get through the appointment. By the way, the appointment cost me three bucks. Huzzah!

So, now I have a prescription and I just need to go take it to the neighborhood pharmacy. I don't anticipate having any problems getting it filled.

The only hassle is... the doctor would only give me a prescription for one month at a time, so I'll have to go back next month to get another one. But, at three bucks a pop and about 20 minutes of my time - I would say it is worth it.

Hope that helps.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Mercilon for 7,000. I used Yasmin for years. Never needed a prescription, maybe that's just a US / Canada thing? I basically took the pills I had and showed it to them. I wanted the same ones that had only 21 pills, not the versions with 28, too confusing.

By the way, I didn't need a prescription, didn't in Seoul two years ago, didn't now in Suwon. Just walk into the pharmacy and ask for pills, even got a couple boxes at a time. And I'm pretty sure many countries are the same, no prescription.

Three bucks for a prescription isn't much, but when the pills are only 7,000 and it only took about 2 minutes, I think they'll pulling a fast one on you. Try a different pharmacy.
nicmunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed a prescription because of the specific brand (Yaz). As I mentioned, other birth control pills are available with no prescription.

I did exactly what you did (went to the pharmacy with the old box) and showed it to him. He knew what it was and was able to communicate that I needed a prescription for that specific birth control pill.

Unless my Korean friend and the doctor are also in on the scam, I'm pretty sure he wasn't pulling a fast one on me. Who knows though, anything IS possible.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose your right, as for me, Yamin or a generic brand, they're basically the same.
PCRamplified

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a pill question, but a little related, does anyone know if the HPV vaccine is readily available in Korea?
got_suz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any girls suggest the best kind of b.c... ive been on mercilon and i dont really like it.

and yes they do have HPV shots~ 180/shot
Susan Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if Microlite is available in South Korea??
blissfullyignorant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything besides the pill in Korea? I've been on the ring for about 3 years now. Last time I spent a year here, my doctor was able to give me a year's worth, but this time around all I have is a year's worth of loestrin 24. I'm shit at remembering to take a pill every day. If you know of anything else, please please please, let me know.
2000zerozero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: I've got to get in on this. . . Reply with quote

I got a copper IUD (the non-hormonal kind) here in Korea a little over a year ago.

I've been on every bc under the sun. . . Depo shot, Nuva Ring, pills galore, (including Mercilon) and the IUD rocks imo. I've never had a baby, but didn't have problems with it "falling out" or anything. I was worried about the horror stories I read online, but haven't had any problems (fingers crossed). Beauty of it is, if I do have any problems, having it taken out is also pretty cheap.

I priced them in the States and just never could afford one with the Dr. visit costs and ultrasounds to check the position and such - it would cost in the neighborhood of $800 to $1K - Shocked

Here it cost less than $100 w/nat'l heath insurance. So I decided to take the jump and get it. Glad I did.

Granted, I had to research "before and after care" on my own because my Korean isn't up to snuff, and I live in a small town, AND the gynecologist puts up a sort of curtain so you can't see him, and says "AAAAHHH!" before he inserts the speculum like you're at the dentist's office, but all that's part of the cultural experience, eh? Wink

Just thought I'd share. Best of luck in picking what's best for you.
pumpkin1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: For Sale: Alesse a Canadian birth control pill Reply with quote

Hi folks!

My friend bought the boxes from me, but you can get Alesse 21 at the pharmacy in E-mart for 9,000/box! Very Happy

Last edited by pumpkin1 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: