Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone taken their Hagwon to court/labor off. and won?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Has anyone taken their Hagwon to court/labor off. and won? Reply with quote

I am at a great school now, but due to previous bad experiences, I am just curious if anyone has "turned the tables" on a bad hagwon owner and gotten them in trouble with the Labor Board, courts, etc.

Has this happened to anyone?? I need a good laugh during Chu-Sok!
Catalina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Check out these threads Reply with quote

Hi Derrek,

I just finished a Labour Board hearing on Monday with the boss. Check out my Hey-hey - I was fired to day and Hey , Hey I went to the Labour Board today threads.

Oh yes - and Lesza's thread - Crying in my coffee - she took the same boss to the courts.

I don't know if it is a good laugh but it is a good story. Smile

Catalina
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Check out these threads Reply with quote

Catalina wrote:
Hi Derrek,

I just finished a Labour Board hearing on Monday with the boss. Check out my Hey-hey - I was fired to day and Hey , Hey I went to the Labour Board today threads.

Oh yes - and Lesza's thread - Crying in my coffee - she took the same boss to the courts.

I don't know if it is a good laugh but it is a good story. Smile

Catalina

That's great! Good luck in the future.
justagirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A girl in my neighborhood went to work 2 Fridays ago and the boss told her that she was fired and had 3 days to leave the country. Someone else was moving in to her apartment and the boss had called Immigration to cancel her visa. When she got home after school, she discovered that the phone lines in her apartment had been cut off.

I suggested she get in touch with EFL law, and they were great! They called the owner, who insisted the girl had quit. EFL law told them she didn't quit--go ahead, ask her to come back to work on Monday and she will. Of course they didn't want her to come back....She also went into the school the night she got fired with a Korean friend to translate (just in case) and a foreign friend. As the boss insisted that she had quit, and they were arguing over whether she had to leave her apartment, they decided to call the police. The police were there and heard the whole thing and can be called as witnesses that the owner fired her and was trying to get her out of the country before she could do anything.

She got in touch with the Labor Board (had to wait 14 days to file the complaint) and told the school what she was doing. She extended her visa to avoid problems with Immigration. As soon as the school heard what she was going to do with the Labor Board, they started making offers.

Offer 1: pay her up to her day of dismissal

Offer 2: pay her up to her day of dismissal and repay the 600,000 deposit she had to give them for the apartment

Offer 3: all of the above, plus a plane ticket home

Offer 4: all of the above, plus 700,000

Last I heard: everything owed to her, plus 4,000,000! Whoa! They signed the contract with her that they would give 60 days notice, so they technically owe her 2 months pay. I haven't talked to her in a week, so I don't know what actually was decided upon. I do know she'll have to sign a statement saying she won't slander the school after she gets the $ and all....of course that won't stop other people from saying things...and the truth isn't slander.

justagirl
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Should keep Reply with quote

We should keep this thread handy as ammo for people who feel there is nothing that can be done when they are screwed.

A few months back, I trained at a school for 2 weeks (no pay) and left for my USA vacation, only to learn the director was cancelling the contract. The situation made me angry. I was supposed to get my E-2 in the states (had the "blue paper"), but it got lost in the mail. So my boss said, "Sorry, I can't hire you -- not enough students". Anyway, he's closed now, but before he closed, I mentioned to another person that I was going to complain to the labor board about some money he owed me. Curiously, I got a very paranoid call from him, and he offered to pay everything (I had bought books for him in the USA, which he originally was saying he'd reimburse).

Anyway, I was told by another guy working there that the owner had to keep the school in, "good standing" to faciliate the sale to another company. If there were problems with the labor board, it might jeopardize the sale. So perhaps it's good to know that we DO have SOME power to make things more equal when we are screwed.
crazykiwi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, my girlfriend took her boss to the labor board. after much huffin and puffin on his and her part, she eventually got what was owed. so to anyone who really wants to or needs to, go ahead, the labour board is apperantly sick to death of dodgy hogwan owners screin us teachers around. " she didnt finish her contract" director says. " you fired her on her last day" labor dept. says, "why yes i did......so?" " well you are an idiot then aren't you, of course you must pay.....duh!"

so as long as you have a korean translator, and you havent done ANYTHING wrong, yes, go and nail those slimy freaks!

mtc

crazy
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: labor board Reply with quote

The following thread may be of interest:

=====================
http://www.englishspectrum.com/form2.php3?table=news_blackbook
No.136 : Kids Herald School ( Hugok, Ilsan)
Name: FORMER TEACHER
Date: 2003-02-18 17:21:46 View: 3
Hi I just wanted to report my former school,

I worked at Kids Herald School in Ilsan (Hugok campus) and was Illegally
fired, told there was nothing that I could do about it, took them to the labour
board and won.
The school made up a number of lies, such as I tricked them out of over time, I
was responsible for them losing a teacher. That they fired, and then
claimed they didn't. After trying to change her contract once she got here.
Supposedly I was supposed to be the one who told the new teacher they
were changing contracts on her. My freind yes, but the school never even
told me about the contract change in the first place. plus the standard that
I was a bad teacher, even though I worked there for ten months with no
complaints. Basically now they are bring teachers over on the worst
contracts that I have ever seen in my life now, and the school should be
avoided.

Thanks
Dan
jlb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the labor board worked for me. It finally scared my school into engaging in some serious negotiations after they illegally fired me and not the crap they were trying to offer me. I settled for a bit less than they owed me by law but now it's done at least. The thing that got my hagwon moving was the time limit set by the labor board before the case gets moved up into the higher courts and then the bad things can really start to happen.
jlb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Kids Herald School in Cheonan Reply with quote

Kids Herald School in Cheonan....please don't work there, enough said! But I did win at the labor board battle so that was quite enjoyable.[/quote]
Sincinnatislink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
I'd like to know if anyone has taken a hagwon owner to court recently and won, particularly over quick firings/evictions.
Tony Blair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sincinnatislink wrote:
Bump.
I'd like to know if anyone has taken a hagwon owner to court recently and won, particularly over quick firings/evictions.

YES
fj007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: won't pay my ticket home Reply with quote

my boss is refusing to pay my ticket home, even though it says it in my contract that i will be provided a return ticket. she won't pay it b/c i was hired in country, and she paid for my japan visa run plane ticket. this was not written into the contract. i had given her a week to change her mind, but today she still said no after "speaking with other directors." i told her i will go to the labor board tomorrow. she said fine. I guess they will call her and she can explain her story to them.

i haven't done anything illegal or breached my contract in any way. my thing is...do i need a Korean friend to come with me to the labor office, or do they have someone there who speaks English? also, where exactly is the labor board office? (I assume Incheon teachers have to go to Seoul).
head-in-the-clouds

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Sincinnatislink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed reviews on Gangnam Labor Law.
They helped, but I ended up getting approximately 200,000 won less than I was technically entitled to, even though my employer lost significantly more than that.

Thanks all.
antoniothegreat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easiest way to stop all of this carp from hogwon owners is to actually PUNISH them. Now, if they refuse to pay, and they are found guilty, they only pay what they should have.

If that was changed, so for example, they had to pay triple what they should have, then they would actually hesitate to try to do something shady.

i had a friend that made that his policy. everytime the school tried to jip him, he would threaten to quit and only settle for MORE than what he was entitled to. after a few times of the school caving in, they never tried anything fishy anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: