Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Powerbook in Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haxah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Apple Powerbook in Korea? Reply with quote

I am coming to Korea, most likely Busan, in December. I am a Mac girl. I have an Apple G3 Powerbook that I want to bring with me. Is there any point? If I get internet service in my apartment, will I be able to get drivers and things in Apple format? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks a lot!
Walter Mitty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine. Which model do you have, and does it have built-in ethernet? The main thing is the ethernet connection, since you'll need that for any kind of broadband access.

The installer will most likely have never seen a Mac before, so knowing how to configure your network settings on your own is big help. Most of the services here are DHCP, which on most Macs just means "plug in the cable and you're online." I had one tech who refused to believe I was online, since I hadn't restarted my computer. I pulled up a batch of different pages to show him I was, and he still wasn't happy until I rebooted.

I've been using my iBook here for over a year without any problems. Just know that you'll be quite the minority over here since you're not running some flavor of Windows.

Also, if you're looking to upgrade the new PowerBooks just got released this week. They haven't shown up in the Apple Korea online store yet, but I expec they'll be here shortly. As soon as they come with Jaguar (OSX 10.3) installed, I'll be picking one up. Smile
haxah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Walter Mitty! Reply with quote

I'm so happy to hear that. Very Happy

My Powerbook is pretty old; I think it's the Wall Street model G3. But it does have ethernet, and I am pretty handy with networks and such. I am going to try to install Jaguar on the laptop this weekend to see if it can take it. I'll let you know if I meet with success. I may have to shell out for some more memory, but I am hoping that I don't have to shell out for a whole new computer!

Glad to see another Mac person out there in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: