Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

digital camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tancred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: digital camera Reply with quote

say...i'm looking to buy a digital camera. the problem is, being in Korea i'm not sure if, if I were to buy one here would the software be in Korean or English...or would i have the option.....

or should i buy it via internet and have it mailed to me...?

Any suggestions on what one should do? Thanks...

t.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my camera from lotte.com and the software is multi-lingual.

teh most important thing is teh driver which you can download from the cameras manufacturers website. If you already have photoshop or acdsee or any photo editing program you can then get the pictures from the camera 100% in englsih
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Nandemun Reply with quote

But it in Nandemun.

You can buy illegally there and bypass the Korean tax.... saving about 100,000 won.

Also, buy Canon -- you won't be disappointed.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you really be able to get it cheaper in Namdaemun than Yongsan e. market?
Not calling you a liar, just kind of surprised- I never would've thought of looking for digital cameras in Namdaemun...
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought many an item in Korea...but found that many a time the software is not in English, and when loaded causes conflicts with English operating systems...why? ... no idea. Also an MP3 I bought here didn't have available English software on the website for over 12 months, so had to learn a little bit of Korean to use it properly. Also got stuff here that clapped out, so it was easy to get repaired/replaced....up to you which way you go.
Did buy a HP CX30i megapixel digital camera from the US on ebay for US$37, but cost me US$45 to get it here...still a cheapy that works well and not so expensive that I am overly concerned about being the victim of theft or loss.
Your choice, shop around and enjoy your happy snaps.

Still crazy, still here.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...when loaded causes conflicts with English operating systems

A lot of device drivers for the Korean o/s weren't compatible with English Win98... just another reason (if you didn't already have one) to go to Win2000 or XP.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsago,

Yep, upgraded first to 2000....still a few conflicts...now to XP Pro and all seems fine...also installed the Korean pack with it and Office Xp....now all is sweet as. Now that I am aware of the 98 probs would never go back to it....even though it is a fine opsys. XP is so memory hungry...
Thanks for the confirmation....thought it was me.

Still crazy, still here.
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Just go Reply with quote

I don't know what problems you guys have, but with my Canon camera, the disc with the camera had an English version that also worked on Windows 98SE.

I'm still not a fan of XP. If I "upgrade" to XP, I lose the ability to do MSN or Netmeeting Voice Chat with others -- like my parents -- who don't have XP.

Most of the problems people have are due to the lack of drivers FOR XP. Eventually this will change and turn the opposite direction, but the truth is, no matter what you buy, if it's a brand-name, you just go to their website and download the drivers/english software you need.

There are still more computers out there with Win 98 than XP, and more software compatible with Win 98. This goes for drivers as well.
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Would you really be able to get it cheaper in Namdaemun than Yongsan e. market?
Not calling you a liar, just kind of surprised- I never would've thought of looking for digital cameras in Namdaemun...

You have to know where to go. But yes, they ARE there (I've seen the shops) and you definately save a lot of money. We're talking bypassing Korean import tax (although not legally) so you basically pay similar to what you'd pay in the USA. A camera which costs 500,000 at Yongsan will cost you 420,000 at one of these stores.

Big savings. Big.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just go Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:

I'm still not a fan of XP. If I "upgrade" to XP, I lose the ability to do MSN or Netmeeting Voice Chat with others -- like my parents -- who don't have XP.

I like XP but my folks don't have it, which is part of the reason I am running two o/s's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: