Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dating in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NicRenee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feminist? Who said anything about feminism? You mean feminism as in, I'm not swooning when I man runs up to me and grabs my @ss? The rest of my post goes on to describe my experiences and why I reject 98% of the attention I get in this country. I didn't say I was having any trouble GETTING offers (which I suppose I would if I were walking around with an in-your-face attitude), I simply don't see many viable ones. And I also said I have dated many great guys here.

The part of your post I'll give credit to is that many men do have problems with confident, secure women. However, that is as much of a problem in this country as any other country I've been to.
Oreovictim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see how an attractive foreign woman would have problems dating in Korea. I know only a couple of really good-looking Western men. But these guys aren't too interested in dating Western women. Perhaps they want to try something different, or perhaps they just want to sleep around a lot.
shaggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicRenee wrote:

I have been assaulted in this country on several occasions (@ss grabbing, hair stroking, arm pulling, body leaning, cab drivers following me to my apartment, etc.) .

I am so sorry to hear that. The cab drivers following you home particulary disturbs me. (Rapists always try and isolate their victims and what better place then the victims own apartment) What disturbs me more is that I have heard so many stories like yours from a lot of foreign women who work here.

Yet the Korean media will always be quick to arrange witch hunts for male English teachers who party with and date willing Korean femmes.

NicRenee wrote:
I have dated several very nice Western men here, but it seems to me that the keepers are very few and even further between. .

Well I think that is the experience of a lot of men here too. I know a lot of good friends of mine have never made that love connection with a Korean woman. They tell me the dating pool is broad but shallow. I have also met a lot of guys who have invested years into a relationship only to have it go nowhere. Just beacuse you are a white man in Asia that doesn't guarrantee you a girlfriend or a wife. You still have to work for it.
xingyiman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NicRenee wrote:
Feminist? Who said anything about feminism? You mean feminism as in, I'm not swooning when I man runs up to me and grabs my @ss? The rest of my post goes on to describe my experiences and why I reject 98% of the attention I get in this country. I didn't say I was having any trouble GETTING offers (which I suppose I would if I were walking around with an in-your-face attitude), I simply don't see many viable ones. And I also said I have dated many great guys here.

The part of your post I'll give credit to is that many men do have problems with confident, secure women. However, that is as much of a problem in this country as any other country I've been to.

I understand what you're saying, but please also understand that "confident" and "secure" are too often politically correct bywords used in place of "opinionated" and "nagging" by women who are just that. In the past when I hear about such women (mostly from another woman) when I meet them and spend some time around them too often I catch a glimpse of exactly the kind of woman I'd avoid at all costs. You know the kind that would belittle you in front of a crowd because you don't make as much money as her best friend's hubby, or something idiotic like she caught you once again putting the toilet paper on the holder wrong.
NicRenee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cab driver following me toward my apartment WAS a bit freaky, but it turned out that he just thought I was a Russian hooker. Wasn't the first time, certainly wasn't the last.

Looks are definitely at least a secondary, if not a tertiary issue for me. The main thing is meeting people I connect with and/or don't repulse me in their behavior. I imagine it's quite the same for many western men - a great deal of the Korean women I meet are vapid, materialistic, immature princesses - albeit beautiful.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crusher_of_heads wrote:

Just call him Nancy.

You've said that in a bunch of other threads. Is "Nancy" the word of the week?
Moby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing Korean manners and Korean language can help dramatically. If you act foreign most girls will not date you period. Isn't this how it is in most countries?
King Baeksu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xingyiman wrote:
Here's the scoop....

Uh, no, that's just your subjective opinion. I know many Western males here who not only date multiple Korean women at the same time, but also successfully achieve penetration. Not to put too fine a point on it. The only thing I would say about that is that they are willing to put quite a bit of time into getting what they want. And some of them even speak Korean so English is not always what the women they date are after.

I personally think strong intelligent Western women are attractive for such qualities and am not threatened by them at all. In fact, I'm still waiting for some of these "strong" women on this thread to take me up on my earlier offer (see above), but apparently they talk a better game than they actually play!
Zutronius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dating front doesn't sound too promising in Korea. I hope it won't be a lonely trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Atavistic

Location: How totally stupid that Korean doesn't show in this area.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xingyiman wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but please also understand that "confident" and "secure" are too often politically correct bywords used in place of "opinionated" and "nagging" by women who are just that.

Korean women never nag.

"Oppppppa!"
xingyiman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Baeksu wrote:
xingyiman wrote:
Here's the scoop....

Uh, no, that's just your subjective opinion. I know many Western males here who not only date multiple Korean women at the same time, but also successfully achieve penetration. Not to put too fine a point on it. The only thing I would say about that is that they are willing to put quite a bit of time into getting what they want. And some of them even speak Korean so English is not always what the women they date are after.

I personally think strong intelligent Western women are attractive for such qualities and am not threatened by them at all. In fact, I'm still waiting for some of these "strong" women on this thread to take me up on my earlier offer (see above), but apparently they talk a better game than they actually play!

If you would take the time to reread my post we are basically saying the same thing. I seemingly remember stating that it was quite possible to get a Korean GF, providing you are patient and willing to hurdle a few failures on the road to "penetration". What I am taking issue with King, is the still too popular notion that a guy can step off the plane and be shagging all too willing gals within hours. You and I both know the only way that'll happen is if its a direct cash transaction. I know guys of which you speak also and one of them in particular told me that in all it's not really worth it considering all the crap you have to go through to get there. The guys in question are successful because of persistence . That doesn't qualify anyone who doesn't succeed as a loser. I was well aware of what I would have to do the snag a Korean GF and and in the end consdered it too much of a hassle in lieu of the fact that I know, if it's a "shag" I'm after - a short plane ride will take me to places that are far easier for the effort.

Quote:
I personally think strong intelligent Western women are attractive for such qualities and am not threatened by them at all.

No offense King, but to me this is a worn out line. Honestly I have never met a guy in my life I would consider to be or feel threatened by any woman. That is of course unless threatened would include the loss of peace of mind, peace and quiet, custody of children, income to child support/alimony, and/or savings accounts and related assets. Then I could see your point of view.

Last edited by xingyiman on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:40 pm; edited 7 times in total
xingyiman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zutronius wrote:
The dating front doesn't sound too promising in Korea. I hope it won't be a lonely trip.

The reality is that it is not going to be much easier than it is for you back in America if you figure in the intangible costs of learning Korean and getting accustomed to the culture. Like anywhere else the key to the hearts of the people is through the Language. If you never learn Korean then you'll be relegated to a handfull that actually speak fluent English and those gals aren't stupid - they know what they're worth. If you want an easy in, come to Thailand.
xingyiman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but apparently they talk a better game than they actually play!

Just one of their many drawbacks.
kentucker4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xingyiman wrote:
I see there's still some mythological crap being purported on the forum.
Here's the scoop....Most of what you har from guy's telling you that you can pack away six girls at a time come from the guy who's doing just that.......BUT......Here's the catch - he hasn't figured out that his little hotties are only using him to
a. Get free Engligh practice
b. try to catch the wave of novelty sporting a "Western" friend.
Trust me I've had the pleasure of walking the highways and byways with 4 or five hot girls who were laughing and giggling and all the while me being the envy of every other equally clueless outsider. You can see the final result of such endeavors when you stop by the local expat bar and view said individual in a drunken sob party after failing to coax any one of his prospects into having sex. At this point he's finally figured out that he's not the Don Juan he was, for a moment beginning to believe. As for black guys...... All you newbies here's a hint - Koreans WORSHIP light skin color and socially striate based upon afforementioned. Nuff said. If I were coming to Korea and hoping of having anykind of a love life, a real one anyway I would go directly to Seoul. I wouldn't even try Busan. Your chances of hooking up with a non- native Asian fellow expat (Filipna, Thai, Indian, etc....) are far greater than landing anything with a local. It is possible to get a Korean GF but if so you will have to be patient and have thick skin. There's no easy ride here in Korea. If you are looking for that cancel your plane ticket and re-book to Thailand.

Hmmm....English lessons for sex...doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. I'm in. Very Happy

I am not worried about finding true love right now. If it happens it happens.
kentucker4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xingyiman wrote:
Zutronius wrote:

The reality is that it is not going to be much easier than it is for you back in America if you figure in the intangible costs of learning Korean and getting accustomed to the culture. Like anywhere else the key to the hearts of the people is through the Language. If you never learn Korean then you'll be relegated to a handfull that actually speak fluent English and those gals aren't stupid - they know what they're worth. If you want an easy in, come to Thailand.

Can you save up money teaching English in Thailand as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: