Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My english is so poor,but I want to write a good diary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackie5168

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: My english is so poor,but I want to write a good diary. Reply with quote

Dear all:

My english is very poor, but I want to write a good diary.
Can you teach me more about how to writing. Thanks!

Jackie
Stephanie S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jackie,

Here are some tools that might help you:

1. Spellcheck. Try writing on a computer; the automatic spellcheck will alert you to misspelled words, and the practise of continually correcting them will help you learn to spell well.

2. Chats. Try chatting online with native English speakers, or others who are learning English, and ask for correction. This is better than writing a large document and then asking someone to correct it for free--that takes a lot of time and effort and most people will not be willing to help you.

3. Reading. Take time to read English every day, even if it's just a few paragraphs. You will gradually assimilate structure, learn new words and idioms, and become more familiar with the art of writing English.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Stephanie
Elanguest
Afra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: My english is so poor,but I want to write a good diary. Reply with quote

jackie5168 wrote:
Dear all:

My english is very poor, but I want to write a good diary.
Can you teach me more about how to writing. Thanks!

Jackie

Hi,

I think to improve your writing you really need to write something in English more or less every day. In my experience, it's best not to be too hard on yourself, but just write a few lines about what you did or about your opinion of something. If you're studying for an exam, you probably need to do more writing, perhaps writing the answer to an exam question at least twice a week.

2: Get your writing checked.

If you attend an English class, ask your teacher who will probably be happy to help. Otherwise you could try www.italki.com or www.lang-8.com, which both offer free corrections.

3: Learn the correct version.

When you find a mistake in your writing, it's a good idea to learn the correct version by heart. Otherwise it's easy to keep making the same mistakes (I know!). I like to use flashcard software like Anki to do this. You can also practise any grammar points that you make mistakes with here.

4: Keep adding phrases to your vocabulary.

You also need to keep reading (more about reading here) and studying vocabulary to gradually make your language more sophisticated. I strongly recommend studying collocations as much as possible rather than single words when you're learning vocabulary (more about collocations here).

5: Take care when you're writing.

Finally, I often see writing that could be improved by taking care about very basic things. Easy ways to make your writing better include making sure that you've used capital letters and full stops where you need them and checking your spelling. Also, it's not a good idea to use abbreviations like 'u' instead of 'you' (except possibly in very, very informal text messages if you are a teenager).

For more professional academic assistance, please visit http://www.essays.ae/
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: