Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of books do you love?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Yorker's Page-Turner blog includes a book-reader coinage that got us thinking about our own reading styles. There, Mark O'Connell confesses his dirty little reading secret: He doesn't finish books; he's a "promiscuous reader," a book abandoner. He writes, "I’ll start a book, get about halfway through it, and then, even if I’m enjoying it, put it down in favor of something else." But it's not the books, it's him. "I like reading too much. I can’t say no," he writes. "I’ll be reading a novel and thoroughly enjoying it. Then I’ll be in a bookshop and I’ll see something I’ve been anticipating, and I’ll buy it. I’ll start reading the new book on the bus home that evening, and that will be the end of the original affair. I’m certainly invested in the relationship with the book that I’m currently reading, but I can’t help myself from pursuing whatever new interest happens to turn my head. Perhaps that’s just a tortuous way of admitting to being a pathetic serial book-adulterer who’ll chase after anything in a dust jacket." He justifies his behavior in the end, as you'd expect of a "book cheater," by saying that maybe occasionally this is a good thing. When he finally meets the book whose fickleness meets his own, well, perhaps he's met his match.

Read more...
Raycorner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, the longer the book/saga the better. Recently (a little over a year ago) I started reading fantasy novels. I mean, I've read a few before (Harry Potter, The lord of the Rings and a few Terry Pratchetts) but this time I dove right into the deep end.

I found a saga called "The Wheel of Time". Surprisingly, many people haven't heard of it. It's an 14 books in the saga. Well, it turned out to be singularly the best story I have ever read. And I have read quite a few. It was a bit slow going in the first chapter of the first book. However. once it got going...

So, I'd recommend The Wheel of Time by Michael Jordan.

He didn't complete it as he died before he was able to. However the saga was eventually completed by Robert Sanderson. He did a fabulous job.

Find it, read it, enjoy it.

Raycorn
Claire321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like reading Steven King and Edgar Poe.
hongqkem1535

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually read science and medical books but I sometimes read social books.

Last edited by hongqkem1535 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
seunghyeon324

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Current news-books Reply with quote

I like a detective story
Because it can makes me think
And I like the process of solving the clues
This is why I like detective story
Claire321

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seunghyeon324,
I am just like you. I mean, my preferences are almost the same.
jjuni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the comic books

because it is easy to read about all of the story
and my eye can recognize them easily

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: kkk Reply with quote

I like novel. When I read novel, times go fast and i feel that I am the character in novel hahaha Laughing Also, It makes me addicted to it's content kkk Cool
Johnee.Springs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Thriller and especially the books written by Dan Brown and Tom Clancy. These are the best types of books if the world is on the edge of a disaster.

@1205: I know what you're saying and I think you're absolutely right. This is one of the best experiences while I'm reading when the time goes by so fast!
shinfa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to read book like "who move my cheese" . i like to read the book can help me or can improve myself when i am worry about something.
Allanteacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all kinds of books from contemporary fiction to sci-fi, from page turning thrillers to Booker prize winners. Reading is not just escaping from the world, it's escaping from me also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: