Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing it/Doing of it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inna Mishanina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Doing it/Doing of it Reply with quote

Please, could anyone explain this rule to me: I've been trying to understand it for many years, but it still seems a challenge to me. Are all these '-ing's in the two sentenses below actually gerund? When shall we say "doing it" and when "doing OF it". I took these sentences from the American Corpora.
1) Do something repetitively enough, and the doing of it becomes unconscious.
2) Discussing this with a stranger at a party is at once uncomfortable and uninteresting. Doing it 10 times in one night is excruciating.
What is the difference? In all the three cases the -ing forms seem to me Subjects, so the function is the same...

And a special challenge for me normally is nominative sentences serving as subheadlines within a text. They seem to have only subjects, without any predicates, verbs, so what is a wright structure for them? I translated such headlines into English myself and everything seems wrong to me...
- Powder filling into vials OR Filling powder into vials (like a headline naming a process that is described further).
- Glass ampule filling (meaning that glass ampules are filled with some liquid). And btw, can we say "LIQUID FILLING of glass ampules" or "Glass Ampule Liquid Filling"?
- Filling antibiotic powders OR Antibiotic powder filling (meaning that the powder is filled into something).
- Aseptic filling of penicillin antibiotic powders for intravenous and intramuscular administration OR "of" is not required?

Sorry for such a long question, I wouldn't like to bother you much, but I'm completely puzzled with this and none of the grammar rules I've already read anywhere seems to answer my question(( I decided to try to solve it once and forever:D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: