Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is SARS as bad as the media is making it sound?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
american4life67

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Is SARS as bad as the media is making it sound? Reply with quote

With all of the news reporting SARS, there is no way that people are not going to start to grow a fear worldwide. There isn�t a minute that goes by on the TV that SARS is not mentioned, whether it is breaking news, or just an update. With all this information of SARS floating around, there is also the build up of fear. Now I personally think that most of the fear is unneeded and triggered strictly by the media. With all the travel warnings and the way that the media is expressing SARS is also increasing the fears. Showing an empty Beijing street, or a street full of people wearing masks, or showing the empty shelves of a local supermarket after the SARS scare. I don�t believe that SARS would be as big of an issue if the media didn�t make it one. I currently live in Beijing, and it hasn�t stopped me from doing much from my normal life.
obelix

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. The media are currently obsessed with health issues. The Sars thing is no worse than some of the influenzas we have seen over the years.
In Canada, the SARS was easily contained and seems to spread mainly in hospitals. Now it is gone except for two cases, now almost recovered.
The latest panic is about the West Nile virus which originated in Africa and is now spread in Ontario, Canada by mosquitoes.
If you listen to the media's advice, you would shut yourself up in a mosquito net and never go out all summer.
I am not going to live my life like that. I will take my chances with the mosquitoes just as I do every year, and enjoy the all too brief summer.
We all have to die, but living your life afraid of death is a complete waste of what should be a happy and interesting time.
wing

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will feel so difficult to survive in the world if simply believe everything what the media said. To think deeply, not all of things can be trusted.
wing

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will feel so difficult to survive in the world if simply believe everything what the media said. To think deeply, not all of things can be trusted.
american4life67

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: obelix Reply with quote

Yeah, i think that the government probably uses the media to make the viruses sound worse so people are more aware and this could help prevent such a bad outbreak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: