Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heminway's work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmyLU

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Heminway's work Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm a university student now. This semester we have classes of English Liturature, and I'm into it. I love Hemingway's works the best due to the fact that the vacabulary he used are concise, elegant and easily to be read. Moreover, he is good at metaphor. Even though it's just a simple word, it always implies some thought or ideas that author wants to tell us. The best way to read his essay or novels are super-slowly reading. It means you have to read all the vacabulary carefully and don't skip important words. Because each word is important in each sentence. For enjoy your reading, you can choose a clean, well-lighted and comfortable place.

If you lalso like Hemingway's work as well, I recommend you read "The old man and the sea" firstly. Or if you already read a lot of his other essays/novels, please share your reading experience or your comment with me.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Amy Lu
Taipei, Taiwan Rolling Eyes
FYAKTKAK

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: /Heminway's work/ Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm 9th grade now. I like Hemingway's works,too. So i'd like to tell about "The old man and the sea". Actually I was not interested in the work at first. But I realized the content has a significant symbol. I think he described the old man's indomitable spirit with the concise and strong style in the novel.
The stage of the novel, the sea stands for our reality. The sea is like Mother who gives a courage to the child. Even though the old man brought a long backbone of the great fish, he did his best. We have to make a model of the old man's strong will.
phanpin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read one of Haminway's essay "The Hill's Like the White Elephant."
The symbol in it took my classmates and I a lot of time to try to figure it out.
As to "The Old Man and the Sea," ~~ha, ha.... I never finish reading it...
I only read half of it, and then, I lose my patience and gave it up.
The pace in that fiction is pretty slow, and it give me a feeling as if I am walking in the sunset.
Amy, do you love Haminway's works especially? Why?
Plus, I am also an university student in Taiwan! Glad to meet you here!
liebe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Hi, I've just graduated from high school.
I read "a farewell to arms". did anyone else read it? Did you notice how there is always rain when something bad is about to happen?
Miranda_Lml

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read "A clean, well-lighted place". In the story, there are an old man, a young waiter and an old waiter. The old man somewhat feels disappointed about life (he does no longer have many desires because he has been alive for a long time) but he never 'gives himself up'. He has dignity. The old waiter seems to understand him while the young one does not.
toshikun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Hemingway's Shorter Works Reply with quote

I love his shorter stories too. They are fun and easy to read. They make you think about life too.
samira

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read "Farewell to Arms" , "For whom the bell tolls" , "Old man and The Sea". But I don't like Hemingway so much. His works can't impressed me a lot. He discribes things in a lyric way, but there's absent main meaning.
Copie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemingway is a genius. He is very male-orientated. Its nice to read Hemingway after suffering through Jane Austin or one of the Bronte sisters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: