Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think about American people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asterix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying, ''I love the American people but I hate the American government" is a cop out.
It is the American people who elect the American government, and therefore are responsible for its actions in the world.
hitman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ass-terix, calm down. Yes, a majority of the population of the U S voted for Bush. But that doesn't mean that because they voted for him, they are all bad people. In a country, some people vote for jerks. Just like I shouldn't judge the entire population of your country because your such an ass-terix, you shouldn't judge the whole population because Bush was voted for. I don't hate Ast�rix the comic because of you. Smile

And a government can be seperated from the people if only 51 % voted for the ass who did all the damage. Smile
Bob S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it as a condemnation at all, but rather a statement of fact from the philosophical principles of a democratic government: a state derives its right to rule solely from the consent of the governed. Then for good or ill, the people are collectively responsible for the actions of the people they put in power (and can remove from power if they so choose). It is an alien concept to many here who reside in nations governed by totalitarian dictatorships. (Though even then I would say they are still governed by the Will Doctrine: a people will get the government they deserve.)
mitsuaki hayase

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about American people? Reply with quote

Safia wrote:
What do think about Americans? are they good people? Question

I think American people are kind in general.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: USA - New Isolationalist Nation Reply with quote

rhonda wrote:

Wow another 5billion for developing nations, and while I'm paying over $2 for a gallon of gas? Your absolutely right, my govermental leaders are evil and should be destroyed! Shocked

Gosh, I think developing nations is a great thing for the government to be spending it's money on!!
I'm quite suprised, really. Bush seemed to have a strange tendency to spend his cash on weapons and war. Funny.
Rangi-nui

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: American F!@k yeh! Reply with quote

Well I really like the american government but hate the american people. The people are lazy and fat, but the government has the balls to go out and kick arse when it counts! I wish Russia and America would go back to the good old days, but this time have a really good nuclear war!
4yuan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

america is not safe now...i don't like it
jarczis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love america this is my dream .music basketball this the best in the world and I love this very very much.People I will be training and maybe i will be in the nba please give some people conectet with this environment.
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is adding fuel to the fire, but I thought that I should bring this up since this forum seems to have people capable of civilized discussions.

I don't know, but it seems like the world sometime takes the positive things the US does for the world for granted (I know many will disagree with this, because this is just an opinion), and only points out the negative impacts. And that the negative impacts alone is a good enough reason to be angry with the US.

Just like some people would agree that the anger against the US stems from the results of the US butting into other people's affairs. Thus the hostility towards the US was provoked. Same thing could be said of the US. Remember, the US tried to stay out of WWII until the attack on Pearl Harbor. Remember, the U.S. was attacked many many times during the Clinton administration by terrorists and did nothing. 9/11 was the first time an attack of that scale was made on U.S. soil (unless you want to count embassies abroad), and that gave Bush an excuse to go on a rampage. Yes, the leaders are responsible for the negative image the world have on the US, but we have to consider all factors leading up to the actions.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by BourneNOIR on Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Realism is that the world has become much danger after Iraq war.

No, the world has become a much dangerous place when terrorists flew the planes into the World Trade Center. The attack indiscriminately killed, not just Americans, but people from around the world who worked in the buildings.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: American F!@k yeh! Reply with quote

Rangi-nui wrote:
Well I really like the american government but hate the american people. The people are lazy and fat, but the government has the balls to go out and kick arse when it counts! I wish Russia and America would go back to the good old days, but this time have a really good nuclear war!

Opposite, for me.
Manuel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only American girl who I met was a very good friend. However, when she returned to her country, she was crying. She said that she had become Argentine in seven years.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix wrote:
Saying, ''I love the American people but I hate the American government" is a cop out.
It is the American people who elect the American government, and therefore are responsible for its actions in the world.

Ah, but
1) The American government is not always honest about the way it will act in presidency before it is elected
2) It's not a popular vote
3) Americans vary, and the ones that I know (who did NOT vote for our current presidency) are great
4) I can get along with people even if I do not agree with their political views, so I may like Americans, even if they vote for a president who I do not like
Mitchy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm terrified in the ways U.S. government deal with things but can't blame people for their governments' bloodlust... They're being manipulated by their governments, I don't recall meeting any American babies talking like "Let's rain down bombs on middle east!" So, by all means, Americans are OK but can't say the same about the U.S.A...
And about those elections... Do people really choose whom they should be governed by, or are they chosing what had already been chosen by propoganda tools like the press, tv, etc. ?
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitchy wrote:
I'm terrified in the ways U.S. government deal with things but can't blame people for their governments' bloodlust... They're being manipulated by their governments, I don't recall meeting any American babies talking like "Let's rain down bombs on middle east!" So, by all means, Americans are OK but can't say the same about the U.S.A...
And about those elections... Do people really choose whom they should be governed by, or are they chosing what had already been chosen by propoganda tools like the press, tv, etc. ?

Oh no- the people really choose.
However, some candidates like to win votes in unethical ways, which obviously makes the voting process a little skewed towards unethical leaders...
But yeah-- we really do choose.
Where are you from, Mitchy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: