Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We finally in space now!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U-jin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you must be using an abacus now to surf the net and write your great replies?
Diana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Inventions Reply with quote

U-Jin, it is true that the Chinese invented the first rockets. It was also the Chinese who invented the gunpowder, which they used for their rockets. All you had to do is look it up.

You don't like it when someone patronizes America, U-Jin. So, what makes you think that the Chinese would like it if America patronizes their achievement. If you recall, it was the Soviets who launched the first satellite into space. How would you like it if a Russian patronized America AFTER launching their satellite a long time ago? Space travel was actually made possible by the previous discoveries of many inventions and ideas from different countries and people and not just on America's innovation alone. The fathers of space travel belonged to a German, a Russian, and an American.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The earliest solid rocket fuel was a form of gunpowder, and the earliest recorded mention of gunpowder comes from China late in the third century before Christ. Bamboo tubes filled with saltpeter, sulphur and charcoal were tossed into ceremonial fires during religious festivals in hopes the noise of the explosion would frighten evil spirits. It's probable that more than a few of these bamboo tubes were imperfectly sealed and, instead of bursting with an explosion, simply went skittering out of the fire, propelled by the rapidly burning gunpowder. Some clever observer whose name is lost to history may have then begun experiments to deliberately produce the same effect as the bamboo tubes which leaked fire. Certainly by the year 1045 A.D. -- 21 years before William the Conqueror would land on the shores of England -- the use of gunpowder and rockets formed an integral aspect of Chinese military tactics. A point of confusion arises tracing the history of rocketry back before 1045.

Chinese documents record the use of "fire arrows," a term which can mean either rockets or an arrow carrying a flammable substance. By the beginning of the 13th Century, the Chinese Sung Dynasty, under pressure from growing Mongolian hordes, found itself forced to rely more and more on technology to counter the threat. Chinese ordnance experts introduced and perfected many types of projectiles, including explosive grenades and cannon. Rocket fire-arrows were certainly used to repel Mongol invaders at the battle of Kai-fung-fu in 1232 A.D. The rockets were huge and apparently quite powerful. According to a report: "When the rocket was lit, it made a noise that resembled thunder that could be heard for five leagues -- about 15 miles. When it fell to Earth, the point of impact was devastated for 2,000 feet in all directions." Apparently these large military rockets carried incendiary material and iron shrapnel. These rockets may have included the first combustion chamber, for sources describe the design as incorporating an "iron pot" to contain and direct the thrust of the gunpowder propellant.

http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/rocket-history.htm
Marine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very agree with Diana.

The progress of the Chinese is a part of the progress of human being.
I wish there is no poverty, no oppression, no war in our world, and the
life of human being will be better and better.

With the development of the technology of human being, we average people someday can travelling in the outerspace.
It is my dream.
chi-kei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-jin wrote:
Yeah, you must be using an abacus now to surf the net and write your great replies?

U-jin, I don't know where you came from,
but if you keep looking down on China,
you would benefit nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Not Chineese Astronaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chi-kei wrote:
U-jin wrote:

U-jin, I don't know where you came from,
but if you keep looking down on China,
you would benefit nothing.

What are you talking about??? I can't belive it! China - #1 in bla-bla-bla, China #1 in bla-bla-bla.... Yes, I agree that it was progress for China but everybody know who was the First! Yuri Gagarin! Did you hear this name before? NO? Remember his name.
I wish Chineese people good luck but unfortunately for them they were not #1. Try to do something first!

Congratulation again and Good luck!
U-jin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You don't like it when someone patronizes America, U-Jin. So, what makes you think that the Chinese would like it if America patronizes their achievement."

Feel free to quote me to substantiate your claims. What? You cant? That is what I thought.

Your statements are moot point regardless, because it has nothing to do with reality that there is nothing special with China sending a man to space. Can we say "lack of reading comprehension"?

I guess we should ALL be amazed by great technological breakthroughs in few years when will be able to flips a switch to bring electricity to a portable toilet as well. I guess it is always a victory for challenged nations to catch up with the civilized world. Maybe they can enter the 20th (space age was there too) by not jailing people for speaking out against the government. That would be a great start, wouldn?t you think? (don?t bother answering, I am not interested in what you have to say anyway, judging by what you wrote before.)

Oh, why stop with Chinese, when Aztecs had the most complete sky charts way before any one thought the world was round. Obviously THEY MUST BE and ARE the real inventors of all the modern navigation systems, including those needed to travel in space. And what we have now nothing more then a copy of what they did. Silly me, not realizing the difference between Chinese fire-crackers and Space Shuttle. Both of them blow up with a loud bang~ I totally forgot about that. Ohh and yeah, payload rockets uses black powder for propulsion as well. Sureeeeeeeee... what ? It is not the fuel that matters, but it is the concept! Then why, we must credit true origins of space travel to octopussies have been using water jet propulsion systems before the written times!

But I guess typewriter and computer is the same thing for you as well. (I will just use your great assumption arguments you use on people with poor English comprehension...ohh the irony.)

Until China sends a man to Mars, or achieves any other break throughs in surgery, physics or public service (etc etc etc) I will be there to congratulate them. Till then, there nothing new in sending a person to space. But why ask so much, how about simple concept of "freedom of speech"

^O^ yawn~
Diana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-jin wrote:
"You don't like it when someone patronizes America, U-Jin. So, what makes you think that the Chinese would like it if America patronizes their achievement."

Feel free to quote me to substantiate your claims. What? You cant? That is what I thought.

U-jin, my claim have already been substantiated. All you had to do was read Chi-kei's comments. He is Chinese and he told you not to look down on China. Claim substantiated. Razz

U-jin wrote:
Your statements are moot point regardless, because it has nothing to do with reality that there is nothing special with China sending a man to space. Can we say "lack of reading comprehension"?

Yes, I would say a lack of reading comprehension on YOUR part, U-Jin. My point was to get you to see that patronizing another country's achievement by stating that all they did was copy someone else's design is arrogant.

What you don't realize is that space travel was actually made possible by the previous discoveries and inventions of many countries and people. I even pointed out to you that the fathers of space travel belonged to a German, a Russian, and an American and not to American innovation alone. Does this sound like the entire program of space travel is attributed to only one? Therefore, you are wrong in stating that China made no achievements when actually they made some contributions to space travel 2000 years ago when they invented the first rockets.

If you look up the history of space travel, you will find that many of the websites mentioned the Chinese first rockets. The Chinese also used these rockets as weapons. The invention of these first rockets contributed to space travel many years later, which is why it is often mentioned in the HISTORY of space travel. Why didn't they mention the Aztecs who studied the skies? Aztec achievements ARE mentioned in the history books, but not under space travel. Their achievements are mentioned in the areas of mathematics, medical science, and earth science.

Below is an article showing China's contributions to the modern world:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Chinese Inventions

The World is forever in debt to China for its innovations.
Ancient China was extreme advance and many of its discoveries are
still in use today. This is what Robert Temple, the author of The
Genius of China 3000 years of science, discovery and invention. The
book is based on 11 main parts of Chinese innovation. Within these 11
categories, there are 3 main parts that contain the most significant
inventions. Robert Temple concentrates the bulk of his examples in
these three categories, agriculture, domestic and industrial
technology , and engineering. Temple�s examples were not limited
to these fields of innovation. The Chinese excelled in many other
areas, including mathematics, warfare and transportation, to name a
few. Although Temple wrote about eleven fields of invention, I feel
that these three sections contain the greatest examples of Chinese
innovation, and the debt that the modern world owes China.

The first main area is the field of engineering. Within this
chapter, the development of iron and steel is the greatest
achievement. The development of iron and steel led to other advances.
By at least the 4th century the Chinese have developed blast furnaces
to obtain cast iron from iron ore. This was 1200 years before the
first blast furnace showed up in Europe. The reasons that the author
gave to explain the reasons why the Chinese developed this technology
are simple. The Chinese had access to large amounts of clay, the key
ingredient in making blast furnaces. The Chinese also figured out
that by adding a substance they called �Black Earth,� they could lower
the melting point of iron.

Another major invention of the Chinese, that led to other
achievements, is steel. The common belief today is that Henry Bessemer
discovered the process of refining iron into steel. The fact is
Chinese had developed the process to refine iron into steel in the
second century BC The Chinese learned that by injecting oxygen into
the blast furnace, they could remove the carbon from the iron. The
Chinese called this process the �hundred refinings method� since they
repeated the process that many times. The finished product was highly
prized in China for its strength and ability to hold an edge on a
sword. The Chinese would weld the steel onto weaker iron thus creating
a strong edge and a superior weapon. The Chinese iron and steel
workers were the best at making different types of metals into modern
times. But then, no one else could have done so at the time, since
iron existed nowhere else but in China.

The Chinese invented the chain pump in the first century AD The
chain pump allows water to the pumped from lower to higher elevations.
The chain pumps were used for draining and pumping in civil
engineering, but what is more important is it was used for irrigation.
Irrigation allows for greater and more intense farming, thus resulting
in a better crop yield. With the greater crop yields larger
populations can be supported. The chain pump was exported to all parts
of the world by way of visiting ambassadors and dignitaries. The first
European chain pump appeared in the sixteenth century, and was a
direct copy of the Chinese version. The second area of great Chinese
achievement is in domestic and industrial technology. The most
recognized Chinese invention is in the field of domestic and
industrial technology, paper. Paper was invented around the second
century BC and was used as clothing. One might not believe that paper
could be used as clothing, but the paper made at that time used
thicker and tougher paper fibers. Not only was paper used for
clothing, it was also used for military body armor. The Chinese found
out that pleated sheets of paper could stop the penetration of arrows.
The paper armor was standard issue with Chinese land and sea units.
Paper�s writing property was not discovered till about one century
after its discovery. The earliest example of writing on paper was
found an abandon military post. The paper found dates back to 110 AD
and contained two dozen readable characters.

The area that let China grow and expand was the innovations in
the area of agriculture. The greatest achievement in the field of
agriculture is row cultivation and intensive hoeing. In Europe, as
with the rest of the world, they practiced scatter seed farming.
Scatter seed farming is the practice of throwing the seed onto the
fields at random. By throwing the seed randomly, half the seeds would
not grow and make it impossible to weed the field. The Chinese on the
other hand, planted individual seeds and rows, thus reducing seed
loss. The planting of crops in rows also allowed for intensive
hoeing, which in turn reduce weeds. Another major advancement in the
field of agriculture is the seed drill. The seed drill complements the
row farming of the Chinese. The seed drill is a device that plants the
seed into the ground. It replaces the farmer to plant the seeds by
hand, thus allowing the farmer to plant more acreage. The first seed
drill was introduced to Europe in sixteenth century, 3500 years after
the Chinese had invented it.

In conclusion, I believe that the author has proved his original
idea, that the modern world is in debt to China. The author has given
many examples of Chinese innovation and intelligence that are seen in
use today. Chinese innovation in agriculture has not only allowed the
Chinese to grow, it has also allowed the modern world to grow.
The growth of these other countries is directly linked to the
inventions that they copied from the Chinese. Many of the Chinese
engineering feats are still practiced today. The process of refining
iron into steel is still used today, though the process has been
refined. The suspension bridge, invented by the Chinese in the first
century AD, is still the bridge of choice when one has to span a great
distance. The greatest area of Chinese invention is in agriculture.
The Chinese excelled in farming, not only did they discover the seed
drill, they discovered row farming that is still used today.
I would recommend this book with one wants to read about the past
glory of China and the huge potentional of the future. It gave
in-depth views into each Chinese invention, while not over doing the
techical explaination. The Author is clear and concise on his point,
the modern world is in debt to the Chinese. He gave many examples of
Chinese invoation, and how the rest of the world copied the Chinese.
Not did the rest of the world copy Chinese inventions, they claimed
that they were the first to invent it. The author opened my eyes to
the greatness of anicent China. What the author, Robert Temple, did do
gave me even more reason to respect China.

---
Bibliogrpahy

Temple, Robert. "The Genius of China 3000 years of Science, discovery,
and invention"

http://www.cyberessays.com/History/90.htm

More of China's contributions to the modern world are also found in this website:

http://www.crystalinks.com/chinainventions.html
U-jin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized something: You are a NICE PERSONAL [NO PERSONAL ATTACKS]. Silly me not realizing something, it is still sad that you cant read english and understand what people write, or what the words mean. How can someone talk to a person, who doesnt understand what they are been told.

Key words:
"YOU DONT LIKE IT when someone patronizes America, U-Jin. So, what makes you think that the Chinese would like it if America patronizes their achievement."

Please look at the highlighted words, and then look at what the person is saying " Please feel free to quote ME!!" And show me where I SAID THAT. You cant, so please stop spamming with your "copy and paste" skills.

I am not even going to bother with you about the POINTS that you fail to comprehend, because you cant or refuse to udnerstand what other people write, which maybe because you are either ignorant on the subject matter, and mindlessly "copy and paste" key words that you searched on the internet, or your english is poor in comprehension.

Sad, the worse thing is that there are people who actually think you are smart. I guess you found your niche in impressing TOEFL students with your command of enlish language. Too bad they dont know the truth.

I guess reading comprehension is not your forte.

^^~
[/b]
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Your post Reply with quote

Well, well, well, so you want me to prove that you don't like it when someone patronizes America, huh? That can easily be done. Below is the proof. Below is your post that you wrote when someone put down America, U-Jin. Laughing LOL!!!! Yeah, I can see the better English you expressed and all the intelligent words you say in your post below. NOT. Razz

U-jin

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLAY NICE KIDDIES

Last edited by Diana on Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
obelix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh Diana, such passion - my place 9'oclock!!
obelix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh Diana, such passion - my place 9'oclock!!
Diana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Obelix,

Yeah, yeah, I know....I disrupted the board again! Well, U-Jin called me a troll. I always seemed to be a target for name-calling. Vladimir once told me that those with a lot of male hormones don't like being told the errors of their ways by a woman. I seem to be forgetting that a lot. Maybe I should change my name to a male name like Dan.
U-jin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM GETTING TIRED OF DOING THIS. Evil or Very Mad
Diana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh PLEEEAASSEEE!!! Don't give me that sorry excuse that you don't care about them patronizing America! Don't you remember what you posted to me AFTER I told you to quit the vulgar language. Well, let me remind you since you've suddenly developed Alzheimers.. Below is your post dated June 16, 2003. Your entire post can be found in the "Culture" Section under the topic heading "American Culture."

U-jin

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Again, USA kicks a$$ and all of you fear it, and envy it. Cause USA is strong you hate it, cause of your pride , simple and clear. Cause YOUR country sucks ass~ yeah go and delete my account cause I am not going to deal with people talking sh1t about USA when they dont even know what they are talking about! I guess i am not in the right forum, where people will express what they want, and learn from others opinions. I guess it is okay to talk sh1t about USA, but boy talk truth about other peoples countries is a "no-no" f^ck it. Delete my account then. "

In this post, you also stated, "I am not going to deal with people talking sh1t about USA when they dont even know what they are talking about!" This is your exact quote, U-Jin. Apparently, you did much more than just point out the faults of other countries. You ALSO place your country ABOVE all others and made it a point that you don't like others talking down on America.

My claim is substantiated! Checkmate!
Sergeo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I am S.Korea!
I think U-jin is right, we talked this in class, and 3/4 class say U-jin is right. My teacher agree with him too.

Thank you.
Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: