Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reason for studying English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinah

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: reason for studying English Reply with quote

English is a subject for every student in China.But many Chinese teacher teach grammar a lot .It let students hat English and feel boring. I am a mid-school student in China.My English teacher is not very good. He is just good at grammar.His speaking English is so bad that I get sick when I hear him.We have a foreigen teacher who teach us once a week.The sadest thing is the exam for English.
I always think about
Why English must be learned all over the world?I really cannot understand!!J
Who can give me a believeable reason?
I still remember Jesse said Winne Foster I love you untill I'm dead.Of course Jesse will never dead.
Azaquiel

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: reason for studying English Reply with quote

Quote:
Why English must be learned all over the world?I really cannot understand!!

English must be learned in order for everyone to be able to communicate with each other. Because our world is sped up day by day, and if we cannot communicate with each other effectively, then many things will be slowed down or even go wrong.
Think about how your airport can talk to a German pilot flying in for a landing? Or how about a Chinese scientist making a incredible discovery, but no one in Europe or America being able to understand what this Chinese scientist had really discovered when all he could do is to report his findings in Chinese?

These are some reasons for you to think about.

�����������������
notajuliet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "world language" changes with shifts in power. In the Middle Ages up to relatively recently, you weren't anyone if you couldn't speak French. Now it just happens to be English.
Danlee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is a univeral language. thus, if you are good at English, you can travel all over the world without any difficulty(except money Laughing )
In conclusion, you are benificial a lot when you master English.
wolfstone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem as you, Dinah

The truth is that it's important to learn English nowdays. It's the language of the US and the UK, and since their cultural and economic hegemony in the world is so huge, we must learn their language.

To me it does not seem to be bad at all. More, I like learning language because it allows us to know more things about other cultures.

The problem is that when we learn English at school, at least in my case, we do it is an "artificial" way. We have to memorize a great deal of vocabulary which seems not to make sense, studying grammar rules that we don't use in our daily life, hearing people that only speak with an American - or British accents - as though everyone only spoke American or British English.

Overall, the "academic" English might be boring for you. So, if you wanna learn English, or whatever language, you must search "real" situations where you can practice it, although I recognize it can be hard in China.

Open your mind and get through the barriers...

See you
avles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: engish is important Reply with quote

in my opinion english is the language of international communication. some students learn english because a good knowledge of english will enhance thier chances of getting a good job, and getting promotions. proficiency in english opens the door to greater opportunities for further education, especially at tertiary level. it also enables us to gain acsess vast amount of literature and information.
kottan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: reason for studying English Reply with quote

Hi,I'm Japanese student.I'm studying English now.
I can't understand English grammar well.
However,I like to talk with friends or my English teacher in English so
I often enjoy studying English!
I think that study of English is needed because English is a common language in the world.If we could speak English ,we could communicate with onother countise people and understand their culture and so on.
Let's ejoy English!
RICA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Very Happy
I am Japanese college student.
I major in ENGLISH!!!!!!!
English is a univeral language,today.
Many people nowadays sutdy English and can speak.
We konw, Language is not the only of communication.
BUT, I think, if you are good at English, you can travel all over the world and communicate with diffrent conuntry's people.
If you can communicate with many people, you can be a cosmopolitan outlook.and pass across the border.
It is good for your life.
That's why I study English.
TennesseeTech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: reason students study English Reply with quote

I have been working with international students since 1993, most students are studying English to get enrollment to a university.

The admission's tests which are required by most universities require students to study hard to get admitted.

Another group are studying English as a hobby, they want to make friends from the US, Australia,UK etc... Want to be able to watch English speaking movies, understand the lyrics of music.

Many of the students at my university like studying at my institution, Tennessee Tech University since international students are really welcomed here by the American students, since many of the American students are so curious about their culture, language and homelands.

GOOD LUCK

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
footi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, in times of globalization, communication and cooperation are very important things in a world wich is steadily getting smaller and smaller. The fact that nearly everyone can speak English is a chance for our countries to grow together and to understand each other better.
maggy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: reason for studying English Reply with quote

Dinah wrote:
English is a subject for every student in China.But many Chinese teacher teach grammar a lot .It let students hat English and feel boring. I am a mid-school student in China.My English teacher is not very good. He is just good at grammar.His speaking English is so bad that I get sick when I hear him.We have a foreigen teacher who teach us once a week.The sadest thing is the exam for English.
I always think about

because The English language is an international language, everywhere you can speak English!
I'm a simple person but in my semplicity I'm very strange! I love animals, swim, dance, I love alla kind of musics an I love going out with my friends!I've got blue eyes, blonde hair and i'm slim and I am not very tall.
EnglishSpeaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: reason for studying English Reply with quote

maggy wrote:
Dinah wrote:
I always think about

because The English language is an international language, everywhere you can speak English!

That's right! English has become a global language spoken everywhere. Those who learn English will have more chances to travel anywhere and be understood. Very Happy
dmadison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is a universal language. Maybe you think you don't need it now. People that speak english have more options in life such as work opportunities. You will be able to meet people from over the world either traveling or online. Well, I understand you when you say that you get bored with your teacher. I felt the same when I studied English backhome. The words didn't make any sense. I only knew how to write, but I wasn't able to understand to a native speaker. Try to learn the best as you can. Grammar is still important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: