Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House work and household chores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sayshamwari

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: House work and household chores Reply with quote

People all over the world must do HOUSE WORK... clean house, cook, look after kids, clean ourselves and houses and go to [work/school].

I'm really interested in any cultural differences. How different is it between China, Uzbekistan, Columbia, Iran, Thailand etc?

But basically it's the same structure all around the world isn't it .... ?

We wake up, go to the toilet, brush your teeth, shower/bathe, comb your hair get dressed

prepare/cook/and eat and drink something (if you are lucky)

then think about other people, family, children, work, school etc.

then go somewhere for however many hours and interact with the world

come home, do all those 'duties', go to bed, sleep safely, wake up ...

I'm especially interested in other non-western countries.

Stories like this ...

http://www.mercycorps.org/topics/hivaids/571
My Story
By Chipo Baloyi, as told to Patrick Makokoro
My day begins very early in the morning when I light the fire and heat the water for my two small brothers and three younger sisters to bathe in before they go to school. If we have access to maize meal, I cook a pot of porridge for them to eat. After seeing them off to school, I start my daily household chores: sweeping the yard, cleaning the dishes and washing the linen soiled by my young siblings. Since it will still be cool, I then go out to the garden and water.

In non-westernized African villages, I know the chores are soooo ..... different between young boys & girls, males and females. They have no electricity or running water, so they work hard collecting firewood and water and walking back to their house ??? Then they may have to take their animals to find food and water, or work in the fields .....

Will you post your daily duties here for us to read?

Tku
peiwei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do many houseworks
Sometimes there are so much housework have to do,
I am really tired with it.
sayshamwari

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I'm so surprised you actually have someone else to do your housework. You are so lucky.

Thanks for your reply.
sya_tesl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Hii... Reply with quote

O..em..as for me..actually i am from Malaysia..Do you know Malaysia?..If you don't know much about my country,it's one of the well-developed country in the Asian Region.The people in my country are busy with their daily jobs.So,many of them can hire a maid to do their household chores, except for those who live in poverty.Since they can't afford to hire someone to do all the houseworks,so they do all the chores on their own.As for me, my mum is already hiring someone at this moment to do the chores, but sometimes, she will ask me to help my maid in doing the chores because she doesn't want her daughter to be a lazy person and can't do anything.I know, it is also for my own good because i will not live with my parents forever.Maybe, i will have my own family in future and this is the best time to train myself to become a good housewife. Very Happy
Snake777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to do housework at home also . Since i'm the oldest daughter in my family >_< Soooooooooo unfair !
ssssrose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: special chores Reply with quote

i'm still a student , so most of the household work are done by my parents, but there are always some contribution when i am in my winter holidaies, especially the week before spring festival. all the members of my family must clean everything in my house,like the door,the window,the table,all cookers,tea pots.......,that is because of the big day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Family All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: