Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

global warming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ad-miral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: global warming Reply with quote

It's the warmest Christmas here in Germany, without snow! (What a luck I haven't changed my summer tyre to winter tyre yet)
Is it because of global warmth? Is it inevitable? What do you think about the importance of this problem?
Yosuke Taira

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: global warming... Reply with quote

I don't think that global warming will stop if we don't do anything. I believe there are so many things that we can do to help environment individually. It's time each of us to start some actions Exclamation .

What I'm now doing in my school life are...

1/ Use my own lunchbox, chopsticks and water bottle.

2/ Use the back side of papers as a notebook.

3/ Turn off the lights when I find classrooms and toilet where the lights are on despite nobody is there.

and so on...

I can't understand people who don't care about environmental problems, which will surely and badly influence our lives in near future. I don't want to live in such an uncomfortable world. That's why I'm doing what I can do now to help the environment and I'm sure that I'll keep on doing willingly. And hopefully, I want to be an example for the people who aren't interested in environmental problems.
I'll never give up our lovin' earth !!
Yosuke
Christie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global warming is absolutely a HUGE problem. Even though we have tons of information about it, we don't do anything big enough to fight against this horrible situation.
In fact, here's a piece of information everyone must know: the effects that the humankind had on nature has damaged it FOR GOOD. There's no way we can go back to what this planet was before. Hundreds of species of animals and plants have vanish, there's no way to "re-freeze" the water that has thaw from the poles, etc.....
What WE CAN DO is stop being total morons (yes, that's what we are!) and start a new atitude towards nature.
Simple habit changes, like the ones that Yosuke listed above, are actually big moves. I wish everyone who's reading this could spread this message around.
But... it's not only that. The GOVERNMENT of all countries should take one serious action... specially the super stupid USA, the biggest "trash-maker" in this world. Well, but I won't get in details about this topic, because everybody knows the S#!T they are doing, right?!
Napoleon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world is really warming up these years, before I came to Canada, I heard it is really a cold place. But the last and this winter turn out to be fairly well. I don't if the next winter will be mild too, but certainly a lot of things will change if the climate get warmer.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to ask Christie to refer to the GOVERNMENT of the USA when criticizing us, since many of us are good, liberal people.
If you did your research, you'd know that Bush actually did NOT win the popular vote.
Go to sorryeverybody.com
And don't be so needlessly hostile.
It's possible to discuss horrible world events without acting horribly yourself.
Rogerlz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the USA is a big country and there are a lot of industries, the pollution that the companies generates is not a problem of the government is problem of the company. They have to get the resourse for their products, and the transportation of this is a way to pollute the ambient.

Of course the USA is not the only country whose pollute the ambient, all the contrys helps to the destruction of the ambient.

Any way I don`t think that the govenment can do something to stop the pollution of the companies but it can minimize the damage that the industries cause!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerlz wrote:
I think that the USA is a big country and there are a lot of industries, the pollution that the companies generates is not a problem of the government is problem of the company. They have to get the resourse for their products, and the transportation of this is a way to pollute the ambient.

Of course the USA is not the only country whose pollute the ambient, all the contrys helps to the destruction of the ambient.

Any way I don`t think that the govenment can do something to stop the pollution of the companies but it can minimize the damage that the industries cause!!!

Of course the government can do something to help! Yes, it is each individual company that is polluting, but what if the government told them they would subsidize some of the companies costs of production if they changed their fuel to something more earth-friendly?
Or if they simply gave a limit on how much CO2 could be emitted per day, and companies that exceeded that limit would be shut down.
There are plenty of ways the government could help, but they have made no efforts whatsoever.
Yes, Americans *should*, in theory, not need this economic encouragement to help the environment. We should recognize the problem and change our fuel sources on our own. But sadly, most people do not understand the effects their pollution is having, so the government (being WISER than the people, supposedly) is supposed to step in and provide other (financial) reasons for companies to become more environmentally conscious.
I know that the other western nations (Europe etc.) didn't lower their fuel emissions simply by having more moral/educated citizens who knew to lower them without any govt incentive, that's just ridiculous. In those countries, they had governments that cared enough about the environment to DO something (like the things I've already suggested) to encourage their citizens to change their ways.
It is the GOVERNMENT'S job to help the citizens make the choices they make. If it is not, you must be claiming that people in other countries are simply more moral than they are in the US, and I'm offended.
asterix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Miss FP, I hate to burst your bubble, but Bush did win the popular vote as any old Google will confirm.

Republican G.W. Bush 62,040,606 51%

Democratic Kerry 59,028,109 48%

Independent Nader 411,304 1%
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix wrote:
Well, Miss FP, I hate to burst your bubble, but Bush did win the popular vote as any old Google will confirm.

Republican G.W. Bush 62,040,606 51%

Democratic Kerry 59,028,109 48%

Independent Nader 411,304 1%

Bush lost the 2000 election:

Republican G.W. Bush - 50,460,110 - 47.9%
Democratic Al Gore - 51,003, 926 - 48.4%

But regardless of the hard numbers, my point was that there are plenty of decent people in the US.
asterix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not specify which election you were talking about, and it's the last one that counts today.
In any case he won in 2000, despite Democratic gerrymandering, according to the Supreme Court, so what's your beef?
Y' all are stuck with the Texan for a couple more years.
As he would say himself, "Heh, Heh!" Laughing
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix wrote:
You did not specify which election you were talking about, and it's the last one that counts today.
In any case he won in 2000, despite Democratic gerrymandering, according to the Supreme Court, so what's your beef?
Y' all are stuck with the Texan for a couple more years.
As he would say himself, "Heh, Heh!" Laughing

Fine-- whatever.
He won both elections, but it WAS by a close margin, you must admit.
Again, I was just trying to explain that not everyone in America shares Bush's views, so we shouldn't all be grouped with him.
Let's get over the details now, shall we?
asterix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand that you are a Democrat, but I would have thought you were an American first.
I notice that, for far too many Americans, nowadays, their political affiliation takes precedence over their loyalty to their country.
That is a recipe for disaster.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix wrote:
OK, I understand that you are a Democrat, but I would have thought you were an American first.
I notice that, for far too many Americans, nowadays, their political affiliation takes precedence over their loyalty to their country.
That is a recipe for disaster.

My political affliction IS my loyalty to my country!
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism!
Being loyal to my country does NOT mean that I should support everything my government does; it means that I should stick to my values, what I think is right, and try to turn my country around in what I believe to be the right direction.
Do you honestly think that being patriotic means supporting my country in (what I believe to be) it's wrongdoings?

Infact, I've considered leaving the country when I am older, going to a country that currently shares my political views (someplace in Scandinavia, maybe). However, I've decided to stick with my country EVEN THOUGH I currently disagree with it's position, because REAL patriotism is staying with your country to try and turn it around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: