Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanksgiving to Dashahu: (2) Enjoyment in a straw-roof hut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wenzili

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Thanksgiving to Dashahu: (2) Enjoyment in a straw-roof hut Reply with quote

The cousin was my mother�s niece, who married a schoolteacher and had three daughters. Even though, she wasn�t that rich, the same as other country -mates in Tongcun village, currently, she had no worry about 3 meals a day. Her rice inventory was far more than enough, thank to the cultivated moor, as above-mentioned reason.

The village was composed by two portions: Old Residence and New Residence, which was separated from each other about one kilometer away and connected by a windingdyke.

�Yes, here you are. This is New Residence. The first hut beside the road is my teacher�s home. That is where you want.� A friend of mine pointed the house and said to me.� My grandma lives in Old Residence, over there, tomorrow morning we�ll pick you up to somewhere, OK?� Another added. �Bye, then!� two of them waved and cried to me simultaneously ��

May be disturbed by the noise in front of the door, my sister together with her family came out from a straw-roofed hut with great joy and smiling.

After a warm greeting to my mum, she let me to the far end of this little hut.

To my surprise, even such a small and humbler room was still shared by my cousin and her parents in law.

Mustering up courage and bowing my body, I followed them going through a fluffy doorway. Suddenly, a cloud of darkness together with terrible burnt-smell approached to me and made me blind and dizzy.

Looking around, the straw roof was placed on low mud-wall. The so-called windows were nothing but a few holes as big as my balm.

Therefore, the sunlight and fresh air failed to come in, its dark and choky nature certainly be inevitable.

In the mean time, standing inside the room, I clearly felt pleasingly cool even in such hot summer season. I thought it must be its valuable virtue of heating isolation ,thank to the straw roof and mud wall.

�Wenzili, I suppose you are hungry,� a gentle voice flew to my ears as I watching and thinking. Following the sound and turning back, I found my cousin sister walked toward to me with a bowl of rice in hands.

�Wow! My God!� I could not help but crying out when I saw a huge bowl of rice really appeared in front of mine. Forgetting any courtesy and leaving the city boy�s gentleman-style. behind, I snapped the rice and fiercely devoured.

For this meal, I forgot all the details, but one point I still remember no sooner than I made a clean sweep of the rice, my arm felt a little bit sore for holding that heavy bowl.

My sister was surprised by my behavior; she persisted in adding one more. However, at this moment, my common sense had come back already, to reserve my face, I reluctantly said no to her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: