Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take it easy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Take it easy! Reply with quote

People has gone to extremes to protect children. They order their kids not to go outside too far, not to touch any household appliances, and not to eat a new vodka-flavored ice cream launched in Australia. I think these children must feel bored in that they like inmates are deprived of freedom to discover some quaint things. On the other hand, they must be eager to ask their parents " Why are there lots of things I cannot do, but you adults can?

Parents often tell their children it will do yer body harm to stay up late; however, in reality, who always stays up late? Parents do. They like lawmakers establish lots of laws which are used as regulatin' children but not themselves. They prohibit kids from eatin' booze-flavored ice cream, but they cannot tell kids an appropriate reason why they cannot give it a shot. I absolutely agree that kids are too young to differentiate between truth and false, but sometimes parents take it too seriously. It is but a new flavor of ice cream not marijuana. As long as kids aren't addicted to it, I think everythin' is worth tryin'.
asterix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if more adults (especially politicians) smoked marijuana the world would be a more laid back place.
Passerby

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes children are filled with confusion and doubts about why what they see presents such a huge difference from what they are told.

You know, now I could tell the feelings a bit between the impotence to beg and the full power over others weak and tame. As long as you grow up, you feel you are treated with more appropriate rights and regard and it seems, you are empowered more and more from your elderly as you grow. And now, I feel strange because I don't think I'm growing that much, just on the contrary, I think I'm exactly as the same as what i used to be before.

Maybe that's because of love and protect or maybe that's even because of dierespect from those elderly, they might think, it's just certain that kid is kid. Well, to be honest with you, yes, kid is kid and what a kid thinks is really different, sometimes, unmature and inappropriate. Yes, I agree. BUt, inside, I think there's a complex structure and principle that holds the balance between aldults and children and to explain it seems impossible. Sometimes, a reason to forbid you might take you an entire life to figure it out, just you can't tell it why at this moment.

Passerby
LucentShade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't exactly relate to children, but in the U.S., you can be drafted into the military to go and die for your country when you turn 18, but you still have to wait three years until you can legally buy alcohol. Until the mid 1970's, 18-20 year-olds couldn't vote, but protests during the Vietnam War caused the voting age to be lowered to 18.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: