More, Most, Better, Best

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

HokkaHokka

More, Most, Better, Best

Post by HokkaHokka » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:22 am

HELP!!! (If possible- obviously!)

Have done activities practicing these to death but as we are near the end of the text book I have been told to think of another activity reviewing these (yet again!)

Example... ____ is more popular than _______.

________ is the most popular.

I like _______ better than ________.

I like _______ the best of all.

I've already done jeopardy, review bingo, Criss cross, a crossword an activity where they make question for supplied answers etc.
This time they want some kind of writing activity to keep them quiet.

Any ideas... I am racking my brains but I'm stumped!
Thanks

Glenski

one of....

Post by Glenski » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:34 am

People often look at the superlative and forget something. Yes, it's interesting to ask students such questions as, What is the tallest building in the world? What is the longest river in the world? What is the biggest mammal?

But, they don't often realize that we sometimes don't know the answer. Even some of us trivia experts can be stumped. So, what I teach students after they learn the basic superlative is this. What is ONE OF THE MOST ........?

You can use the same old questions with concrete answers, but it's more fun to throw the following ones at them and have students explain why?
Who is the sexiest actor?
What is the spiciest food?
What is the most dangerous animal?
What is the most romantic movie?

Sometimes you know the answer, but sometimes you have to rely on picking ONE OF THE MOST.... for a reply. Or sometimes two people disagree, and you need ONE OF THE MOST....

An alternate exercise for comparisons is to have students complete a line such as this...

Horses
Race cars ........ is/are not as fast as ........

This part seems easy if they don't get confused with the negative. But add one more step, and that is to have them use the opposite adjective in their answer, too. Example: Student 1. Horses are not as fast as race cars. Student 2. That's right. Horses are slower than race cars.
If Student 1 is NOT right, Student 2 can say "No, that's not true." and give the correct answer with both adjectives.

HokkaHokka

Post by HokkaHokka » Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:55 am

Thanks very much! I like your ideas a lot.
I've made a work sheet now but I will definitely edit it tomorrow to incorporate your ideas.
Much appreciated!

strider

Post by strider » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:44 am

In my school, we are plagued with mobile phones that ring during lessons. However, I was able to turn this to an advantage a few weeks ago when I was doing comparatives and superlatives.

I got the students to tell me about different models (they are real experts!) and I put some of the info on the white board. Then I asked them to compare the different models. I was amazed at the results! I heard sentences like 'Nokia is better than Philips because it is lighter' 'Sony is the best because it has a colour screen', etc, etc.

I guess this would work with any objects that students could compare (video games, cars, etc.)