the speaking challenge

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mamadepeter

the speaking challenge

Post by mamadepeter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi,Teachers:
I'm a teacher in Lima Peru and my students run from 10 to 68 years old.However ,there are 2 common factors when teaching basic levels and these are :they are reluctant to speak in English even if the language is written right in fron t of them.they just won't talk,maybe they're insecure,lazy,shy...etc..so I wonder what methods do you uase in this situation.And my other question is why are ss making the same mistakes when speaking and seems no matter what ,they won't correct them.e.g. "I am agree" or "He is John and your surname is ...."

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:47 pm

We have had some excellent discussions on speaking and why the students don't do it. Go to the search button above and type in speaking and chose one that has many answers.
This will start you off-
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... ght=#40236

I bet if you taped your students today and then in a month and played it back to them, they could pick out at least some of their errors themselves. That is one of the best ways to stop fossilization it seems or you will discover that they have corrected themselves.
Last edited by Sally Olsen on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mamadepeter

Post by mamadepeter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:28 am

:lol: well,thanks so much,I think taping them is an excellent idea.Although,I have to admit I remain in the 80's when I use my walkman to record anything :lol: ..but i hope i can find my way into it.Do you have an interetsing or amusing anecdote to share???

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Is there another way to tape than using the walkman? :)

Lately I have been using Notebook on my computer though (a Mac) and that is neat because you can insert pictures.

I once taped a young autistic student who I didn't understand very well when she talked. No one could understand her well and we thought she was producing giberish. It was at the end of the day and the walkman's battery was low so when I played it back it was slower than normal and lo and behold, I could understand every word of this low voiced playback. She had been talking so quickly that no one could understand her but every word was correct and it all made sense. We just had to tell her that and get her to slow down in real life and though that was hard for her, she would do it eventually whenever anyone looked puzzled as to what she was saying.

I did it once for an ESL student who I thought had pronunciation problems too with the same result.

chasingrabbitsvw

Post by chasingrabbitsvw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 am

If you have a macbook, just sit them in front of it and record their speech using quicktime. you can even take a video of them too, although you may want to do this in a quiet setting since the built in mic will pick up lots of sound. But, you can adjust the sensitivity too.