Conjunctive adverbs (Impromptu speech)

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

SaintGuff

Conjunctive adverbs (Impromptu speech)

Post by SaintGuff » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 am

Anybody have any exercises for conjunctive adverbs I could use?

I'm helping a student prepare for a speech competition in 2 weeks and need to provide her with as much information as possible regarding how to make her speech more fluent.

She has a good vocabulary but struggles at times with bringing it all together in a coherent manner.

So other than conjunctive adverbs what else would you reccomoend I teach her on to help prepare for a speech.

Thanks.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Does the student get the topic beforehand? Can they memorize their speech or does it all happen without preparation?
Remember to greet the audience.
Ask questions frequently instead of just giving statements
If you can make a joke it helps
Lots of connecting words to make it flow = first, next, then
Keep it within the time limit and have a good conclusion.
Thank everyone for listening.
Practice all day every day for at least a week with a tape recorder.
Try to use a lot of hand movements. If you can memorize the speech then have a native English speaker give it to see what gestures they use.
If you are interested in the topic or passionate about the subject then the audience will be interested.
Look around the room at various people as you talk - right in the eye. If you are nervous, look at the people who are encouraging.
There are a lot of Youtube videos of students who have won English competitions so it would be good to watch them and listen to how they engage the audience.
Smile when appropriate.
Read as much as you can in your own language so you have a good knowledge of many subjects if you aren't allowed to prepare.
Include a personal story about the subject.
Try to include some famous person's opinion or research. It doesn't have to be real but would be better if it was.
If your hands are going to shake rest them on the podium or behind your back. The more you practice, the less nervous you will be.
Remember that the audience is usually wanting to learn something so try to add something new.
If you can think of a prop, find it quickly and refer to it, the audience will remember your talk more easily.

SaintGuff

Post by SaintGuff » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Yes, she's been given 13 topics to prepare for but I think this is too many to remember a whole 5 minute speech for, so instead I have given her (Or will do Monday) a speech for each topic and advised her to understand and remember the main points so she can refer to them and free style.

Some of the topics she can talk about without being given a speech, for example, myself, family, school. Others like Science and Technology, Environment, Education, she is going to struggle with so I'm hoping to give her connecting words and phrases that she can use to help her between points. This is my main concern, making it fluent.

Thank You for your advice. I have also given her an introductory speech that she can use to kill time at the start for any topic she is given, (introducing herself, the school she is representing and how she has studied English to get her to this point).

I don't expect her to win (This is the 2nd round of the competition, she already won the first) but I just don't want her to embarrass herself and crumble as she steps up.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:52 pm

If she won the first time, doesn't she have a chance this time?
You might want to video yourself giving the talks so she can see your gestures. That is what makes an English speech more authentic along with trying to include the audience in some way. It might make it easier to memorize as well.
Is she a good singer?
I once saw someone include a bit of a song in an English competition and it was very effective as she had a great voice.

SaintGuff

Post by SaintGuff » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:12 am

I'm not sure about her singing talents but I'm pretty sure she'd be way too shy to try that :D

She won the first time yes, but it was only against 1 other person from the other school in our area. This time, it's 44 other students and from different provinces.

Any ideas how I can get her to include the audience in some way?

Thanks.

Sally Olsen

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:39 am

The main things are telling a powerful and personal story, eye contact, effective gestures, asking questions instead of making statements and positive energy. She has to give up thinking of herself and think of the audience and what they want to learn about the subject. Just keep telling her that it is not about her but about the people that she is speaking to.