Relative Clauses - Any Ideas?

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

YellowMo

Relative Clauses - Any Ideas?

Post by YellowMo » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:58 am

Hi everyone,

Just doing the CELTA course and am teaching relative clauses on Monday. Anybody got any ideas for activities that would work well for this? Or any other advice? I am a bit scared since I had never heard of them until Saturday :o Cheers!

tomtoledo

Post by tomtoledo » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:12 pm

Sorry not to catch you in time for your class yesterday :( but here's something you might want to do. Find a story board (comic strip?), that is, a series of pictures that tells a story. A good one might be "For Better or For Worse". You could take a week's worth of them to do this activity.

Ask students to combine information from two pictures into one sentence using a relative clause. For example, in one picture, April might be playing with the dog. In another, April might be practicing with her rock band.

Ask the class: Which girl was playing with the dog?

The students answer (in writing or orally): The girl who plays in a rock band was playing with her dog.

To practice non-restrictive clauses: April, who plays in a rock band, was playing with her dog.

For more examples of story-based grammar practice (with listening), visit my website, www.englishzoom.com By the way, there is practice with relative clauses there, but with a different story, a political scandal.

Best of luck with CELTA!