Not a teacher but I need help with english games

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

pcizzy

Not a teacher but I need help with english games

Post by pcizzy » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:43 am

I am organizing a take your daughter and sons to work day at the college I am working for. At the event we will be stressing english and literacy for boys. Girls will have math, science and technology stressed. We are expecting most kids to be 3rd to 5th graders. We are going to have all kinds of different tables. Some of those will be educational games for the children to play.

I have been able to find fun science/math/technology games and experiments for the kids but I am having trouble coming up with activities geared towards english. There will be 2 incentives for the kids to approach the tables and play the games. One being the game sounds fun/appealing and the other being small prizes but nothing that will be earth shattering ie no nintendos or anything expensive like that.

The games can't be too lengthy cause the kids are going to have lots of distractions at other tables. I think they have to be fun too cause otherwise they are going to feel like they are in school and will probably not complete the game.

So can anybody offer up some games that are short and fun/engaging? I'd really appreciate it cause I fear having all kinds of info/activities regarding math, science and technology and having the english activities take a backseat.

Thanks for any help.

Glenski

Post by Glenski » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:12 pm

Who are these children and their parents? How much English do they have?

Where is this taking place?