Situational Lesson for Intermediate Students

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MarinaM

Situational Lesson for Intermediate Students

Post by MarinaM » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:58 pm

I need a bit of help... I am currently in the middle of a teacher training program and we have been asked to teach a lesson on "everyday english". More specifically, a situational or functional lesson for intermediate students. This will be my first experience with intermediate students, and I need some ideas for my lesson plan. I think it's safe to assume that telephone english, asking for directions, buying metro tickets, etc are too simple for them. Any ideas?

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:33 am

What about a professional conference meet and greet type situation. They can ask about specialties, what department they work in, how long have they been with the company, have they met ..., does ... work in their department, etc.

Have different groups prepare product booths where they actually have to explain something about a product when people come around. Have a third of the people work booths and the rest mingle. Then change it up and do it again.

Also, you can do a lot of the same things as beginner classes, but just increase the depth of the conversation and the target language.

ESL games

MarinaM

Post by MarinaM » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks-I was definitely thinking along those lines! I appreciate the advice.