Reading and Spelling for Kids

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

LeiXiong

Reading and Spelling for Kids

Post by LeiXiong » Fri May 31, 2013 7:47 am

Hey everyone,

I just posted this but I"m not sure if it went through or not because it made me re-login once I hit submit and brought me back to this blank page. I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I am looking for activities to be used in a class of primary school students aged 6-12. I want activities specific to recognition, reading, and spelling of target vocabulary. I am finding them really hard to find online. Most of the games I am finding are fun, but do not focus on helping kids read or spell the words, just oral practice.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle

bceproducts

Post by bceproducts » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 am

Hi LeiXiong,

One of my favorite spelling vocabulary activities is to have a stack of index cards with a picture of the word on the front and the word written on the back. Show each student a card picture and if they can spell the word without looking at the back of the card, they get to hold the card. Go around the class till all students have had a try with several different cards. the student holding the most cards at the end is the winner and earns a prize!

Hope this helps!
Steph

Check our exciting news and promotion in our lastest post on exploring teaching techniques during our upcoming European backpacking trip @ http://bilinguallearner.com/-blog!

silencedobetter

Re: Reading and Spelling for Kids

Post by silencedobetter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:52 am

LeiXiong wrote:Hey everyone,

I just posted this but I"m not sure if it went through or not because it made me re-login once I hit submit and brought me back to this blank page. I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I am looking for activities to be used in a class of primary school students aged 6-12. I want activities specific to recognition, reading, and spelling of target vocabulary. I am finding them really hard to find online. Most of the games I am finding are fun, but do not focus on helping kids read or spell the words, just oral practice.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle
Teaching phonics in ESL is a step-by-step process that essentially familiarizes students with the sounds needed to produce English in order to develop their reading and writing skills
Source: http://goldstarteachers.com/phonics/