teaching in China

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

BTE

teaching in China

Post by BTE » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:02 pm

I am starting to teach English in China on Monday. Unfortunately, the school doesn't have any curriculum, program,books, etc. and I have been asked to give conversation classes to grades 6,7, and 8. I have no idea about what to do. I am so much stressed that I even cannot think what to talk about in the first day in which I will be teaching 2 hours for each grade.
Please help me with your ideas and experiences?
Thank you very much... :( :roll:

cimarch

Post by cimarch » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:51 am

The first class is always easy, nerve wracking, but easy. I always do introductions, it's the first conversation topic they need to know about and they're meeting you for the first time too. Simply introduce yourself to the class, who you are, where you come from, what you like to do, what you HATE to do (this usually gets a better response from them) and as much personal info as you feel comfortable giving them (don't go overboard though!). Be light-hearted and funny, joke about yourself, include silly little bits of information, make them laugh. Your biggest problem's probably going to be getting them to talk in the first place and it's much easier if they're happy and interested.
Next ask for volunteers to do the same, there're always one or two with their hands permanently in the air. GENTLY guide them through it, ask them leading questions, remind them of topics they've missed out on etc. Make it fun, keep smiling. Once they get started more and more of them will volunteer, if they don't wander around and pick out the cheeky ones and the ones who are pointing at their friends saying"Pick him", they love that. Don't allow them to say "Sorry I don't know" and sit down, make them say something on topic at least.

If your students are high enough level you can pass around a piece of paper and ask them to write questions or topics on it for later classes. I always do it anyway, if I'm stuck for something to do for the last 10 minutes of class I pull it out and answer some questions.

As for further topics check out the hundreds of IELTS websites for sample conversation topics. If they can ask them to prepare speeches or research information for a discussion for homework. I always start off with "Women are better than Men", it really gets them up in arms. The Great Balloon Debate is always a good one too.

Hope that helps.

BTE

Post by BTE » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:06 pm

Thank you very much cimarch!!! You are really very helpful...
Only 12 hours left to enter the classroom... I am excited and I think a little scared :oops: , scared of failing. I have no book, nothing to follow. I even don't know their level. No information has been given except the grades. I guess I cannot sleep tonight because of thinking, thinking, thinking...
Have you ever taught in China? If yes, can you share your experiences with me?
Thank you very much for your reply... It has been a great support!!!

cimarch

Post by cimarch » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:19 am

Have, am and will continue to. Grades 6, 7 and 8, hmmm. I currently have classes with Grades 5 and 6, they're older primary school children. I'd guess yours will be in the 9-12 year old bracket, that's where most of the work is at the moment. As I said before your biggest problem will be getting them to open their mouths, some of them can be incredibly shy. One good way is to bring in some simple scenes from plays (or get them to write some) and have them act them, insist on good acting, funny voices etc. They love boys trying to do a high pitched girl's voice and any scene with boyfriend/girlfriend has them in stitches.

Which city are you in? Any idea how many students per class? I have 40-60. I personally have never seen nor heard of any book for conversation classes. Sure there are some out there with lists of topics and debates but that's not hugely helpful. Come to think of it, how would you teach the art of conversation from a book? What the school and parents want of you (in my experience) is to get the kids talking. However, they want them talking to you all the time which is frankly not possible. I have *patiently* explained to my boss that there is no way I can have a one-on-one conversation with each student when there are 40 of them and only 40 minutes in a class!

It's very hard to plan anything until you know the level of your students, my recommendation is to have a couple of general ideas for down-the-line classes and concentrate on tomorrow's lessons. You do need to make a good impression, not wanting to pile on the pressure but you'll most likely have several teachers (including the headmaster) sitting at the back watching you for at least part of a lesson. However, introductions are soooo easy once you get into them you'll come out smelling of roses.

Another idea for class, a lot of my students have terrible pronunciation so I give them Tongue Twisters to practice. I explain the basic concept and give them one that looks easy as a sample ("Purple Paper People"x9), let them try it for a while and then set them one or two easy ones for homework. After a week or two they started getting really competitive as I got 5 or 6 up to the front to have a race each lesson.

Good luck and happy teaching :wink:

publius0001

Teaching English to Children

Post by publius0001 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:58 pm

Hello,
I was looking for some info and I came across your message. I just wanted to give you the name of a book(s) that may help you.
The name is: "New Interchange. English for international communication."

I teach English to Chinese chidren in kindergarten, so it does not help me a great deal with them, but I am able to be creative and use some of it. You, however, will be able to use the drama 'skits' that are in them and create your own lessons from their examples, etc. There are four levels: Intro, level 1, 2, and 3. Depending upon the abilities of your students, you should find many good ideas here. Also, buy flash cards, etc. (very cheap here). Drama skits also work wonderfully, and you are able to engage their attentions, as well as their imaginations.
Hope it helps you.

Have a nice day!

Debbie and Daniel

Thankyou!

Post by Debbie and Daniel » Thu May 06, 2004 7:03 pm

My Friend Dan and i are going to China in 8 weeks, and were just having a few jitter's! By reading all of your replies, you've made us feel much more confident, and we both agree it's do-able! Thankyou all very much for putting us at ease!!

Here's to China :D

Debs and Dan x