Teaching is more effective in a fun way

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Fannie

Teaching is more effective in a fun way

Post by Fannie » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:31 pm

It would rather for giving the students’ edification to learn than for giving students some reason to learn. On account of the thought, game would be the best guidance material.
I have been a tutor and worried about the learning disorder of my eleven-year-old student. English learning didn’t touch off my student’s interest until I drew on some games for my teaching materials. Edward, my student, hated to memorize the vocabulary so that I designed a matched game, such as apple to fruit, tiger to animal, and mallet to tool. Sometimes if space and time allowed, I would create some circumstance—easy and funny—for his brainstorming. For example, I ever made him into the desert, and then I requested him to write down anything he imaged. Once he forgot how to spell the word or he had not learned the word yet, he could ask my help.
After the matched game and the planned circumstance maintained more or less three months, Edward progressed in his studies. I was happy and surprised at his learning ability, especially when he started to ask for more vocabularies actively. One day I talked with him and asked why he changed his attitude toward English learning. He told me that he rejected English because he was forced to learn by his mother. In addition to this reason prejudiced by his first impressions, my rigid English teaching made him boring in the beginning until my matched game and the planned circumstance were carried out.
The experience of teaching English makes me know one thing—to enlighten students’ interest is more important than to give a lame excuse for their learning. Game can be the teachers’ best assistant. :wink: [/url]

Silva

Post by Silva » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:04 pm

dear fannie~
it's true that to combine interesting games with learning knowledge can make the lecture be represented in a vivid way. since we've all been students, we know well about how aquiring knowledge will be a torture if we are not interested in it, and it's really a good news for you to find a way to teach smoothly and get lecture effective. i believe it's better for you to keep finding more games like this to help students learn english, because maybe one day your students will want something new~ :wink:
wish u luck~!! :)

yunsan

Post by yunsan » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:01 pm

Hi, Fannie, good for u,
Your teaching is really in particular. My friend is a tutor teaching Chinese. Her student like yours hates to learn cause his mother enforces upon him. I've told my friend ur experience, i think this interesting way will be useful. By the way, her student is 16 years old but still like a child, American boys.............. :roll:

unknown

Post by unknown » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:54 am

My English is so poor because I have less interest. Why I can't make myself enjoy it? I think it is because I am a Chinese, and all my friends are also Chinese. My friends talk with me in Chinese, and I talk with them in Chinese, without exception. Though I know some classmates with excellent ability in English, I always keep silent because I am so bashful trying to speak English.
I think your teaching is so successful because your matched game gives your little student fun and achievement, and the planned circumstance can let him use imagination and make him not feel so strange. Finally, he can speak English naturally. Your experience is helpful for me. I think I should find some interesting thing in learning English.

Scott Summers

Post by Scott Summers » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:54 pm

Combining teaching and activities is a good way to make your course interesting and attractive. Both of the students and you will like to merge in this sort of course. Everybody is happy. Games and Activities will also impress students a lot. The students will be easily connected with the course itself and the content of the course, and they can easily memorize what they have learned. Activity itself intrigues students' interest and they will become active to learn. But sometimes games and activities will give some bad influences, especially too many games and activities in class. Students will wait for the time of games, and they will pay no attention on other parts of the course. 8)

&#38634;&#23665;&

Post by &#38634;&#23665;& » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:05 pm

I thought that play games is very interesting for study English, and it also a effective way to learn anything. Maybe you can add others factor to attract Edward, for example, prize, go to outside on the holiday, some food Edward like and so on. Anyway, I thought you are a conscientious teacher, wish good luck to you!! ^^

Joy091

Post by Joy091 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:19 am

I agree that! Learning English should be happy and naturally. :D

shirley

Re: Teaching is more effective in a fun way

Post by shirley » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:27 am

I agree with Fanny. Teachers can design some game to attract the students who are not interested in English. Therefore, they will leran English more automatically and efficientlly.

RogerTsai

Post by RogerTsai » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:54 pm

Agree to your argument. What you are interested in will help you learn faster and better indeed. The teacher designs the suitable game can promote the student's interest in knowledge, and it also contributes to the assimilation of knowledge for him.
:oops:

Fannie

Post by Fannie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:44 pm

I have had the experience of giving the prize to Edward--taking some food he likes. In that time, I considered that prize may help Edward progress in his studies; however, my thought made a big mistake and Edward's learning way was out of my control. I did not communicate with Edward's mother in advance, so his mother supposed that I did not emphasize my tutor career because I casually took food to Edward. After I explained the reason, his mother cleared the misunderstanding towards me. Edward started to ask me to take much food for him--otherwise he would stop to memorize the vocabulary. It seemed that Edward never satisfied with what he has got. :shock: I am unwilling to see this kind of the learning way. After all, a teacher's work should give the student's edification to learn instead of promising of gain to the student's learning way. Therefore, I stopped my prize to him as soon as possible. I did not give him the prize until I, his teacher, know how to balance between prize and the learning in some day. If you have good suggestions for me, I will deeply appreciate your ideas. :)

Fannie

Post by Fannie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:08 pm

Dear Scott,
Thanks for your advisement. When it was the first time to carry out the matched game and the planned circumstance, my friend, Irene, told me to set a central thought: game is not a game, and it is part of the teaching. In other words, game should not be separated from the course. Most important of all, the student's point of view on game must be very closer to the course, such as leaves lies in a tree. For this reason. when I was a tutor, I did not have gotten into the trouble like you say yet. But still thank you!

Eileen

You offer a interesting ideas!

Post by Eileen » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:23 am

Dear Fannie:
I am really interested in what the message you offer. I am also convinced that some fun and meaningful game could bring about effects. Because I also taught a group of little students English. At last, I found teaching them with designing some games corresponding to my programs would make them more interested and also add their learning intention. Therefore, I very agree with what you say in your contents.

ricky

Fun

Post by ricky » Sat May 29, 2004 6:39 am

I completely agree that a good way to interest kids is to give them fun lessons. Most kids will appreciate it although there are some you can't please.

A vital element for me and my classes is to get the kids out of their chairs as much as possible within a lesson. If you can do this and play games and competitions of a competitive nature the kids will love it and forget they are learning English.

Why not get two students at the front with a boardpen and say a word for them to write. The first to finish gets a point for their team. The winning team members get a star for the monthly competition. Alternatively you can draw the object, or show it on a flashcard. They then have to write the word. Again the first to finish wins a point for the team. This always produces a very lively atmosphere with very enthusiastic and motivated students.

Another way of introducing new vocab and practising it in a memorable way is to play games like Simon Says. e.g 'Simon says eat an apple', 'Simon says be a tiger'. Learning vocabulary then becomes far easier when kids can do the actions. They assimilate the language rather than learn it.

From my experience this is the only way to teach kids. Add in the rule that they can't speak their own language and you will see that the kids will start speaking in English as well. Since it is the only language in the classroom they have no choice.

ricky