Serious problem in secondary education in Taiwan

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jamie0618

Serious problem in secondary education in Taiwan

Post by jamie0618 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:43 am

Some people had strong but significant views about the English teaching situation in the Republic of China (Taiwan). One of them said that” Definitely, there is a need for a complete change in the teaching style here in Taiwan.” The present results of that particular foreign language here is obviously negative. For example, the Chinese student learning English cannot or will not think directly. Most of them, with six or more years of public school education were embarrassed when they spoken English in public, holding incorrect language knowledge and cannot apply what they have been taught. They want the use of a foreign language, but they are totally thousands of miles away from any command of it.
According to my experience in my high school days:” I could memorize fifty English idioms in a day; I managed to do so by reading them over and over again, but as soon as I passed the test on the idioms, I forgot almost of them. The next I enter-countered them, they would be still new to me, so I had to learn them by heart again. I certainly realized that this was not the useful way to learn English, but with me it was just the way to enter a good university.
These obersavations bring to mind some aged problems in our secondary education. Our education policy designers seem to ignore, or do not know, that the incorrect methods of learning English is to whet the students’ desire to pursue knowledge and to develop the students’ ability to think. What a terrible phenomenon.

Rain

Post by Rain » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:44 am

Actually, I also come from Taiwan and has the same feeling with you. I guess the phenomenon you mention above probably results from the fixed and traditional assessment. What I mean is that most students here learn English just because they want to pass the test to enter a good college but not because their interest or desire. They seem to learn English for a specific purpose that is passing the assessment. Besides, in our public school, English education, in fact, puts too much emphasis on theory but not practice. Therefore, students know the level of theory but they don't have any chance to practice. Here, I have a suggestion. Since that our secondary education system has made some reformation, I think teachers need to encourage students to erect their confidence. Moreover, give students more opportunities to speak, express their own opinion in English. For example, teach them through group disscussion, role playing and so on.

jamie0618

Post by jamie0618 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:47 am

Dear Rain,
Thanks for your comments on the secondary education system in Taiwan.
I also hope that the teachers in Taiwan can improve their teaching style instead of traditional theory instruction.
We feel the more upset about this situation when it occurs to us that many foreigners in Taiwan, who have had only a few years of learning Chinese can speak Chinese with near-native fluency. This should not be too surprising if we shift the attention on Chinese-teaching style. Almost without exception, what happens in a typical English class is a one way conversaton-- active, talking teacher and passive,silent students, just the opposite to the way it would to be.