how can we teach the right pronunciation by games?

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mitokondri

how can we teach the right pronunciation by games?

Post by mitokondri » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:57 pm

hello, i am an ELT student in Kocaeli university in Turkey and i want to learn how we can teach our learners the correct pronuncation.is the only way of teaching it just by games?or is there any different exercises to use while teaching the correct pronuncation?

FangWB

Re: how can we teach the right pronunciation by games?

Post by FangWB » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:16 pm

mitokondri wrote:hello, i am an ELT student in Kocaeli university in Turkey and i want to learn how we can teach our learners the correct pronuncation.is the only way of teaching it just by games?or is there any different exercises to use while teaching the correct pronuncation?
The best way to teach pronunciation is to model it. 'Simon says' is a good activity for this type of teaching goal. Hope this helps.

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:59 pm

I believe phonics to be a great way to break some of the words down into sounds and let the students practice some of the fundamental sounds.

However, I think repetition in any form (game, activity, choral reading) is the key to improving pronounciation. I find that with improved ability (fluency, speed, rythm) comes better pronounciation. So, I don't bother with correcting pronounciation unless the error inhibits understanding.

Also, just as an aside "correct pronounciation" is a myth. There are various prounciations or accents and even if my EFL students perfect my American accent there is still a chance they won't be understood.

I hope that helps.

- Mark
www.mes-english.com

Carol Keeney

Pronunciation

Post by Carol Keeney » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:49 pm

Try this...
Create a chart about a specific topic you have been studying with your students. Each morning for the next number of mornings: Read one sentence at time as you point to the words and have them then read the same sentence with you. Next, isolate various words by pointing to them and saying them and have them repeat the words with you. Finally tell them not to speak until you have pointed to three or four isolated words that together can form a simple sentence. Now ask them who knows the telegram you have sent. By immersing them in this activity you are practicing vocab and pronunciation. After about a week start another chart. Now use both charts in the morning routine. Eventually you will be working with three different charts. You will want to put the first one away as you add your fourth chart. You may want to check out my new book, Brand New Teacher which has been published by Vested Publishing. It provides scripts, tips and techniques to help you teach creatively and set up a great working environment too. Good luck to you. Carol Keeney
www.brandnewteacher.com

Brian

Post by Brian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:43 am

In books like 'Ship or Sheep' there are lots of nice little dialogues that focus on particular sounds. I find these great for pronunciation...

"Good morning Mr. Church. Can I have some chops for the children's lunch?"

... having the sounds as part of a conversation they can practice in pairs seems to work well with my students. The dialogues are usually about 8 lines long.

I start with some minimal pair work, sometimes using the 'ponunciation journey' game from the book 'Pronunication games'.

Then we go through the dialogue on the board as a whole class. The whole activity takes 20-30 minutes.

Brian

Grammar comics to use in class...

http://www.grammarmancomic.com

Tara B

Post by Tara B » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:43 pm

Have you ever tried minimal pair Bingo?

Make a bingo card including words where just one sound is different. The differing sounds should be sounds that you are focusing on. For example, cheek, chick, check, pin, pen, meet, mitt, met, etc work well when you're doing front vowels.

There is a phonetic dictionary on the Easy Letters software by WriteExpress that is really helpful in generating lists like this. Costs about $20.

Once you have 16-25 words you can make a BINGO card. Just make a copy of it for you entire class-everyone gets the same card. When you call out the words, students have to listen and connect the pronunciation to the spelling. If they are doing it right, they will all get BINGO at the same time, so it's not just up to chance--they have to use their skills and compete with their classmates! First one to shout BINGO wins.

rusmeister

Post by rusmeister » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:52 pm

For reading I think Dr Suess wouldn't hurt - particularly "Green Eggs and Ham" for beginners. Age doesn't matter too much, except that for 6-7 year olds it would mean reading to them aloud.