Teaching small children

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

clarer

Teaching small children

Post by clarer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:43 am

I have just come back from dropping off my own children to the state run nursery here in Tonghua, China. I caught a brief snippit of an english class. I watched the foreign language teacher, who is Russian, teach pre-schoolers "Please can I order some french fries" Is this appropriate for pre-schoolers? Should they not be learning phonics and "A" is for "Apple" at this age and learning through playing? Do other foreign teachers teach this way. Perhaps having children of your own helps knowing what children enjoy. This guy had the personality of a dishrag and no enthusiasm. I would like to help him but I don't want to tread on anyone's toes, perhaps he has a certain curriculum to follow. Any thoughts on this?

gongqin

Post by gongqin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 am

I am an Chinese english teacher. i understand what you mean. i think it is good and interesting to develop students' english skill by an interesting and relaxed way, especially for small children. They are being at the age of playing and enjoy go-and-lucky life.
I wonder if it is ok to connect their life and study together.
you can try to communicate with the staff of that school. just think togethe which is good and suitable to the children.
good wihes to you and your family!

clarer

Post by clarer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:00 am

Thanks for your reply. I have taken my kids out of his class simply because I think it would be taking a step back for them and I don't think they need his accented english, to add to the confusion of already learning a new language. This guy is boring these kids to death, they will not have a very good attitude towards english if they learn this way. I don't really feel it is my place to comment on their teacher. This is a hard place to get teachers to come to, so maybe he's all they can get. It's frustrating to see these beautiful, inquisitive little minds being bored before they have even started to learn the language properly. Sorry to go on...it feels good to vent.

Superhal

Post by Superhal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:56 am

I think, in your situation, that's as good as it will get.

How are Chinese french fries, btw?

simplyesl

Post by simplyesl » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:19 pm

"Please may i have some french fries????"

I am an English teacher in Shanghai. Most of my classes are very young learners (2-6) and the majority of the lesson we are running around and having fun. Even a phrase like that can easily be turned into many fun activites. One of my classes are quite advanced little 5/6 year olds and we cover material like that, but we always have a lot of fun doing it.

The 2 year olds on the other hand are all about running about and having fun, they haven't even grasped their own language yet, let alone a new one. Some won't speak, but at that age its all about their exposure to English. Let's face it they will pay more attention and benefit more if they are having fun.

Sometimes parents from kids in my classes might make a suggestion to me, i welcome it because they are just expressing a different viewpoint on how i teach. Sometimes, yes i believe that what they are saying is wrong, but other times I look at my teaching and find that they are right and i change my teachings.

Just my thoughts,
Eli