recommend love song for Valentine's Day (beginner adults)

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

k9fan

recommend love song for Valentine's Day (beginner adults)

Post by k9fan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:18 am

I want to play a love song for my students on Valentine's Day. My class is a high beginning level class of adult students. It's important that the lyrics be grammatical and accessible to students at their level. I much prefer a successful popular song (as opposed to a song written for English study.) There must be millions of appropriate songs but I haven't come up with anything I really like. Any recommendations?

Just to give something back, here are some songs I've used and had good luck with:

My Love by Petula Clark (very good for comparatives, easy to understand)

Leavin' on a Jet Plane (I like the Peter Paul and Mary version, good for present continuous as both present and future)

Boots of Spanish Leather (I like the Joan Baez version; this is really more for intermediate students but tells a poignant story, and again uses present continuous for future)

I am My Own Grandpa (I like the Johnny Cash version). An absolutely hilarious song with an incredible number of family relationship terms crammed in. To my surprise, my beginning students really seemed to enjoy it. It's confusing but the words are clear so you can just have them listen for the family terms.

I have lots more. I want to create a database of ESL songs because I really love using them to teach.

But enough about that. Could someone please recommend some good but simple love songs, fast? (Songs I've considered but rejected as not ideal include Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher, My Love (by McCartney), Listen (Do You Wanna Know a Secret), Knock Three Times, and It's In His Kiss. I like all these, but I think there must be something better.) Thanks for any ideas!

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:05 am

What about Lionel Ritchie songs:
Endless Love
Truely
You are the Sun

Chicago:
Can't Fight This Feeling
You're the Inspiration
Fight for Your Honor
If You Leave Me Now

Barry Manilow:
I Write the Songs (actually good for relative clauses, not really a love song)
Mandy

Aerosmith:
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

Backstreet Boys:
Shape of My Heart

I hope that helps. I'll submit more if I get the chance.

Mark
www.mes-english.com

k9fan

Thanks! and what I chose

Post by k9fan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:03 am

Thank you for all those suggestions! I really appreciate it.

I settled on a different song, though, and I think it's a good one -- "Strangers in the Night." Easy repetitive lyrics, it's about romantic love, and it's a nice tune. And I can teach the expression "love at first sight." :-) Also some of my students may already be familiar with Frank Sinatra and that's always fun. I am hoping it will go over well.