Emergency Activities Needed for Large Chinese Classroom

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Yelsel China

Emergency Activities Needed for Large Chinese Classroom

Post by Yelsel China » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:26 pm

HELP -- I am teaching conversational English to 14-16 year-olds in China, and this is only my 2nd week. I have never taught ESL before, and I love the experience, however I just found out 2 hours ago that all teachers will be teaching classes this weekend before the National Day holiday next week. To make matters worse, I am sick, and all I really want/need to do is sleep. Does anyone have any activities they can share for a classroom of 60 adolescent Chinese kids for 45 minutes? Keep in mind that they do not like to volunteer to speak in class -- it's like pulling teeth! Thank you for any help you can provide!

p.s. I do have a great activity which I will post in the next day or two for just this type of situation also.

metalgeek

Post by metalgeek » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:51 pm

sounds almost exactly like me.
not to happy about them only giving me two days notice I'm teaching on the weekend, but hey.
you can try baseball, split the class into groups, and ask questions, 4 questions right gets a point, 3 wrong there out.
only problem is you usuayly have to ask the questinons, cause the kids suck at it.

iann

How to teach ESL EFL with fun and games

Post by iann » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:37 am

Hi, try some of the free sample games from the site
http://www.eslgames.com/edutainment/games.html