How to teach bored students

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Effie F.

How to teach bored students

Post by Effie F. » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi again! One of the classes that I'm teaching consists of 9 kids aged 13-16. They're at an upper intermediate level but they seem extremely bored. They're not interested about any of the activities that the book suggests. They don't seem at all excited about speaking, reading, listening, etc. I'm trying to encourage them to at least make an effort even if they're wrong, but they're so reluctant.

And something else I'd like to ask: they had another, very nice teacher who had to leave about one month ago and then I started to teach them. Could this be the reason?

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:49 pm

Hi Effie

Sometimes that is the answer - students have a teacher they particularly like. That teacher seems perfect for them, and when they leave no other teacher can replace them.

Or that's the way it seems. Sometimes it's very hard to follow in the footsteps of a well-loved teacher - but it's not impossible.

Students get bored for a variety of reasons:

The work is too easy.

The work is too difficult.

The pace of the class is too slow.

The work they are doing from the book is uninspiring.

If your students are upper-intermediate, they should be capable of producing something really great. why don't you give them a choice of projects to do over a whole term (a play, making a magazine or newspaper, making board games to help others learn English, powerpoint presentations, record a TV show with a digital camera).

By letting them choose, you're giving them the chance to do the thing that interests them the most.

Brian

Grammar COMICS: www.grammarmancomic.com

ljy_angela135

re how to teach bored kids

Post by ljy_angela135 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:11 am

I have ever thought about the problem you have and I believe the students do not realize how special you are at present. So I don' think this is the main reason that makes them low-spirited.
You can find other references to make the class pleasant, though it is hard to do that. And I have to admit that sometimes I do not make it. The students will become in line with you in the near future.