Activities related to numbers

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mariazc

Activities related to numbers

Post by mariazc » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:05 pm

:?: Hi! I'm teaching three-year-old kids, and we're starting numbers. Can you tell me some suitable activities for this?
Thank you for your help

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi Mariazc

Three is so young!!!

Maybe you could use some very simple songs that have numbers...

Ten green bottles ?

1-2-3-4-5 ... once i caught a fish alive ?

A very simple game is number tennis ... the class or group is in two halves. One half starts by shouting 'one' , the other half replies with 'two' and so on ... going up until they reach 10 (or 20?). When they're confident with this, try going from 10 back down to 0.

Very young kids can usually get to grips with "How many ....... are there?" ... you could do this using some objects you've brought to class, or you could do it using things in the classroom: how many girls/windows/fingers (hold them up)/tables/posters etc ...are there?

For listening practice, you could probably do some kind of simple bingo game.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more ideas spring to mind - there are loads of ways to teach numbers to small kids. Just think of any mother teaching her child to count - then adapt it for the classroom.

Brian

My COMICS for grammar .... www.grammarmancomic.com

Vinyet

Post by Vinyet » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:44 pm

musica5

Post by musica5 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:37 am

Go to http://www.pamseslclassroom.com and visit the free music page.
You will find great finger rhymes to do with your three year olds. YOu can listen to and also download the mp3s for free. The lyrics and instructions for the finger rhymes can be found on the lyrics page.

These are perfect for teaching counting to young children.
Five Little Ducks, Five Little Monkeys, Five Blind Jelly Fish etc. There is lots of expression in these rhymes that will engage your young students too.

A finger rhyme they love at this age that does not involve numbers, but that really calms them down is 'Here is a Ball for Baby"
Another favourite for little ones is Tommy Thumb.
I hope you listen to the mp3s and find them useful.
Happy teaching.
I love the little ones
Pam