Good 'punishments' or forfeits for games

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

trubadour

Good 'punishments' or forfeits for games

Post by trubadour » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 am

What are the best forfeits you've got going in your classes?

I often play circle games, such as memory games or 3,6,9 but all the forfeits the students know are too violent! sometimes space restricts movement, too. In these types of games there aren't teams to deduct point from, so I'm looking for funny things that have to happen if you get something wrong!

A college suggested making them sing a song. I guess every student can sing the abc,

but has anyone got any other ideas?

Forfeits that work in groups large and small from elementary to adult will be greatly appreciated.

Happy teaching!

Trubadour.

Brian

Post by Brian » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:44 pm

My Thai teen students came up with this funny forfeit, where the loser had to stand up and do a chicken dance, wiggling their ass and flapping their elbows like wings.

All the kids sang some chicken song in Thai, which I've never heard before - but they all knew. It seemed like light-hearted fun, rather than cruel punishment.

Maybe there's a similar song with funny dance moves in the country where you teach?

Brian

BradC

Post by BradC » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:48 pm

If you have a multi-national class, they could sing their national anthems as a forfeit. Or you could tell them they have to go to the toilet and put their heads under the tap until they're quite soaked. Or make them speak to someone outside the class in English (e.g., the school secretary, administrator, janitor, etc.).

alexcase

Post by alexcase » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:11 am

A lot of these things seem like a waste of classroom time. You need to make sure that whatever they are doing is useful language practice not only for them but also for all the other students listening to them. This is pretty tricky, so might I suggest just giving everyone else a point instead?

Other possibilities-

- If you are using a ball that students throw to each other to decide whose turn it is, anyone who makes a mistake has to continue the game with only one hand, one their knees, only using their head, until one person is out and everyone starts again from zero.
- Alternatively, anyone who makes a mistake moves to the end of the row of students. If they make another mistake while still in that position they are out

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:30 am

If it's a game where you have only one loser, and you play several times, I like to award a poo each time, and draw a picture of that on the board, with a couple of flies, under the name of the loser.

I think some people would see this as bad, but since I find other people are sticking heads under taps, I guess I can get away with it.

trubadour

Post by trubadour » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:20 am

Some good ideas, but not sure about the head under the tap thing!

I've used the one arm, one leg, one eye thing for catching games, which works fine. I allow them to win it back with a successful catch, so their friends can help them or try to get them out.

I did a version of the song thing suggested above. When doing simple reading exercises, to make it more exciting, the students had to say a silly thing if they made a mistake. "I love monkeys," worked pretty well, but you could obiously make it more educational by practicing a sentence using a relevant form of grammar or whatever.

It's just for fun,, easy laughs really.

chix4866

Post by chix4866 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:53 am

Try a tongue twister. There are lots of websites around with some good ones!

trubadour

Post by trubadour » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:21 pm

chix4866 wrote:Try a tongue twister...
that's a good idea! Short, sweet and potentially amusing. I'll try it.

Cheers,

Trubadour.

trubadour

Post by trubadour » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:40 pm

chix4866 suggested tongue twisters. I have found this to be an excellent test of phonics and pronunciation, and a suitable forfeit. Below are tongue twisters I have taken from http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/beginner/Pr ... tion.html which provides some great info on teaching pronunciation and other things (like a good list of adaptable games).
Ideally one would give a different tongue twister to each student and ask another to repeat it word for word for the forfeit to be compete!

King Thistle stuck a thousand thistles in the thistle of his thumb.
A thousand thistles King Thistle stuck in the thistle of his thumb.
If King Thistle stuck a thousand thistles in the thistle of his thumb,
How many thistles did King Thistle stick in the thistle of his thumb?

Our Joe wants to know if your Joe will lend
our Joe your Joe's banjo. If your Joe won't
lend our Joe your Joe's banjo our Joe won't
lend your Joe our Joe's banjo when our Joe
has a banjo!

1. Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches?
2. Cheap sheep soup
3. She sells sea shells on the sea shore.

1. Laughing Laurie Lies to Laurance
2. Lesser leather never weathered wetter weather better.
3. A lusty laboratory lady loved a lawyer and longed to lure him to her laboratory.

1. Rubber baby buggy bumpers
2. Brad's big black bath brush broke.
3. Give papa a cup of proper coffee in a proper coffee cup.