Activities for those 'too cool' advanced teenagers

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:54 pm

How is that different from Superman or Batman's costumes?

But I understand how you feel. I tried to get stories of the heros of the country I was in, male or female and then talk about local heros, people who were doing things to help their community in the present.

It is interesting that American heros such as Superman and Batman are loners, solving problems by themselves, but with a spot that is vulnerable so they need someone to help them. They never die and rarely even need to eat it seems. Is this the kind of hero we want these days or do we want someone who can work with others, accept other opinions of what is right and wrong, who know they are going to die so live accordingly and make mistakes?

Here are some Asian heros:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Asian_superheroes
Last edited by Sally Olsen on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeatherC

Need for better superheroes

Post by HeatherC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:06 am

I agree, it seems ridiculous that Batman's skin tight clothing is okay while Wonder Woman's attire would drive my class bonkers. Yesterday we had a monsoon rainstorm and hundreds of men were outside shirtless in the pouring rain, wearing only wet and virtually transparent shalwar pants. Women certainly did not have the luxury of frolicking in half naked in transparent clothing in the rain! I guess the standards of society are what makes Batman ok, but Batwoman not ok.

And yes, we should have some better superheroes to be good role models to the students. I'm wondering what a hero with South Asian values would look like.

Eric18

Product reviews!

Post by Eric18 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:44 am

Do you let your students write and deliver product reviews? Students, especially young, hip, and wealthy teenagers who have bought into - literally - the odd belief that "you are what you have" - love to share their "insights" about consumer products.

I use both movie and product reviews to teach the difference between fact and opinion and critical thinking skills. Of course, engaging student interests also leads to better classroom discussions and more use of authentic language. You can also design a very simple presentation form so everyone can provide peer feedback. Result? The students receive written feedback on their product reviews from you (the teacher) and their classmates. Again, teenagers being teenagers, they love to read about themselves and the feedback. If possible, I also suggest videotaping the student reviews and posting them on a class website.

Teaching teenagers can be hell or heaven. I have found teaching undergraduate students far more satisfying - and far easier. But I have also had considerable success in short term IEP summer programs with that tough audience. Product reviews have always been a hit!

Good luck!

HeatherC

Review Writing

Post by HeatherC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:32 am

Product reviews are a great idea!

I did restaurant reviews with my middle schoolers this year and it went over really well. We did it as a descriptive writing unit and added in a grammar section on adjectives. I'm sure you could do the same kind of unit with products.

Lesson Plan: Preparing Students to Write Restaurant Reviews
http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=4

You can see sample reviews by Grade 8 students on our class blog:
http://grade8english.blogspot.com/

Some restaurant review activities and links can be found in our February archive:
http://mrscarreiro.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

It was great fun! At the end I chose one restaurant out of the reviews and we had a class party there. I chose the one that I wanted to go to after reading all their papers. : ) Mmm.... I must say that author had good taste.

Eric18

Restaurant reviews work!

Post by Eric18 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:05 pm

Your experience sounds rather delicious!

Thank you for sharing that idea! I may add it to the list since many international students tend to eat at a relatively narrow range of local restaurants. It will be a good way to learn more about Los Angeles too!

By the way, your links were quite nice. In browsing through your blog, I found a few solid - yet concise - forms and delightful reviews. Sweet.

HeatherC

Blogging

Post by HeatherC » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:39 am

Thanks Eric! Blogging is such a great way for teachers to share ideas, and to keep students up to date on what's happening the class. My students loved sending the link to their restaurant reviews to friends and family.

http://mrscarreiro.blogspot.com

Karenne

Hi Trubador

Post by Karenne » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:48 am

I'm going to go with strategy suggestions...

The best thing you could probably do is to have a sit-down meeting with them on what they would be interested in doing and learning rather than you deciding this.

It's probably been a while since you were a teen so difficult for you to have a "real" idea of what they'd want to do.

Anyhoo...

Get everyone in a circle (if the desks won't allow this, sit on the floor)...

Give them each a big piece of paper (A3) with a circle in the middle that says - what are you interested in?

You can show them a filled in example of your own, e.g. Family, Friends, Teaching, Beer :) , whatever - but make it true and real for you and perhaps a little funny. (Teens are super good at spotting untruths).

Tell them that they can write anything on the sheets that they like doing or reading or participating in - social networking, video games, celebrities....anything, it's their interests.

Stop them after about 15-20 minutes and then get them to pair up /triple up and ask them to share each other's information, adding things that they may have forgotten on their sheets.

Stop them again after 10 minutes and ask them to highlight or * their favourite 10 things.

Then whip out another large (as in flipchart sized) paper that says: what my students are interested in.

Ask them to each pick 3 or 6 things each (depending on the size of your class) that they would like as subjects for lessons.

Fill your page.

Say something like... hmmm, looks like I've really got some homework to do (that'll make them laugh).

If feasible, post this up on the wall of the classroom so that you can tick off the subjects when you approach them/do them in class.

Now, your job will be to source materials related to their interests and convert it into lesson plans. (Don't panic, this is easier than it sounds if you use google or delicious).

For example if they told you that they are interested in "social-networking" then you could print out articles on being safe on-line. If they told you that they are interested in fast cars, you can find virtual tours of car museums on-line and get them to visit them and make a report on their differences. If they like to think about the world, they can each take a country they want to visit and then do a written report/presentation in class on the facts and figures of the country... If they're into movies, you can get them to do a summary of their favourite, if they love music get them to find the English lyrics to their favourite song and then teach the meanings of the difficult words...

ETC -have fun, don't hesitate to let me know if it works for you or you have questions.

Karenne
www.kalinago-english.com