How to make introverted students more active in activities?

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

pgc0315

How to make introverted students more active in activities?

Post by pgc0315 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi everybody, I am having trouble in promoting my silent students to take part in the activities? Any one share some experiences ?
Great Thanks!

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Ages, country, length of lessons, class size?

I see from the Secondary Eduction forum that they are high school students and you have 60 per class. Wow!

There is a Sticky above for Large Classes which has some excellent ideas.

Heads Up English

Post by Heads Up English » Thu May 21, 2009 4:36 am

I just ran a workshop on self-assessment, and we discussed a similar problem. Some students just don't want to participate!

During this part of the workshop, we discussed appropriateness of and interest in activities. In some cases, students don't want to join because the activity is too hard. Some other possible reasons include:

The activity puts students on the spot, so they feel self-conscious.

The activity is embarrassing. (Songs or activities with a lot of body movements may work with younger audiences but not with older students, for example.)

The activity doesn't make any sense or there isn't a point.

The teacher has lost the faith of the students because the activities are regularly difficult, boring, confusing, or some other problem.

The classes are too large, so slower students fall further and further behind. They just give up.

The instructions aren't clear, so some students don't know what to do.

These are only a few possible problems. In short, the possibilities are nearly infinite. It's important to think about what possible reasons these students aren't participating. Try answering the following questions, which may help you to a solution:

1: Who was involved in the incident?
2: Where did the incident take place?
3: When did the incident take place?
4: What happened?

Also consider what happened immediately before and immediately after, and what you could have done differently.

I hope this all helps! Good luck!

Chris Cotter
Free flashcards at www.flashcardhub.com.
Just print and teach materials at www.headsupenglish.com.

surrealia

Post by surrealia » Sat May 23, 2009 9:45 am

Some excellent comments by Chris Cotter.

I just ran across this blog entry by Scott Thornbury over at the Delta Publishing website:

http://www.deltapublishing.co.uk/develo ... y-to-speak

The article is about shy students not introverted students (shyness and introversion are not the same thing), but there may be some relevant information here.

Karenne

Post by Karenne » Sun May 31, 2009 11:00 am

Chris made some really excellent points.

I would also add - patience. From a cultural perspective I am sometimes shocked by how Americans talk almost one on top of the other so that it appears as if they aren't listening at all.

Many cultures need a pause, a moment to think before answering - do make sure that your students have time to answer and don't just look disappointed - they will pick this up in your body language.

You can also ask them to do a writing exercise listing things that stop them from speaking and then gently, patiently, extract these answers from them.

Again, on the cultural note, I have heard a lot about certain cultures not speaking up as often as others - I've worked in those cultures - and... hmm... my students talked!

That's not to blow my own horn, I promise. I just reckon that teachers expectations sometimes get in the way too.

Karenne

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Sun May 31, 2009 11:53 pm

I seem to remember you mentioned Hong Kong, Karenne? I wouldn't expect the cultural gap problems to be very severe there (despite teachers going on about it, no doubt) so I wonder if you did Korea/Japan too? The Chinese are a bit more chatty, and in HK they would be rather rich and westernized too.

I agree that time is sometimes needed, but I don't think students much enjoy other people's thinking time even if they need it for themselves, unfortunately.

I think it has a lot to do with what you ask, how you ask it, the atmosphere you create, whether you keep the language simple etc. It may be that Karenne is good at the subtle psychological skills and friendly persona needed for that, since she comes across as the kind of person who is good at it in her own culture.

Some people are naturally shy and silent, and some people are way below the level of the class. Outside of a formal education course as we are, let's be honest. You needn't beat yourself up about it too much.

Karenne

Post by Karenne » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:19 am

You might be right Woody (do you mind me calling you that, woodcutter is so long) :lol: or should I write wc - :roll:

It's a question I have asked myself very often, to be honest, as I simply don't have classes where my students aren't talking actively after the first couple of lessons.

I think it's because I talk about things that they are interested in (I ask them what those are).

But have also had students telling me incredibly private things (like death of a child in the family) or using me as the shrink - which I don't mind, they're talking...

Perhaps the key to conversation is listening?

Or is it maybe because privately, prior, to becoming a language teacher I was the shyest person in the universe. Don't roll your eyes - I still hate going to parties where I don't know anyone. I just became an extrovert because my students expected it.

So maybe it's an empathy thing?

What do you think?

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:09 am

I must confess that I always suspect that communicative teaching is a bit easier for women, because people are much more likely to confide in them. Women certainly seem keener (which no doubt helps!).

Nearly any class has people who just aren't up to the level they are supposed to be communicating at though. I must say that when people report on their great success with all types of people, I tend to put it down to their own lack of awareness for the most part. Classes can go great, in terms of atmosphere, without the bottom rungs really being involved.

As I posted elsewhere, the biggest pressure these people feel is surely the pressure of everyone else being better than them. No teacher can magically wave that away. Perhaps one day I will hear a report that someone is absolutely fantastic at getting bad classes to really enthusiastically participate, and the person in the report won't be the one praising themselves!

Karenne

Post by Karenne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:55 pm

woodcutter wrote:I must confess that I always suspect that communicative teaching is a bit easier for women, because people are much more likely to confide in them. Women certainly seem keener (which no doubt helps!).
Yup... it goes back to the gathering seeds time...

Nearly any class has people who just aren't up to the level they are supposed to be communicating at though.
It isn't necessary for everyone to be at the same level to communicate. Even within native English speaking groups there are always some people with a more expansive vocabulary than others. Communication is more than grammar and vocabulary, the ability to express one's ideas, feelings and emotions are key points and can be done even with low levels of fluency.
I must say that when people report on their great success with all types of people, I tend to put it down to their own lack of awareness for the most part. Classes can go great, in terms of atmosphere, without the bottom rungs really being involved.

As I posted elsewhere, the biggest pressure these people feel is surely the pressure of everyone else being better than them. No teacher can magically wave that away. Perhaps one day I will hear a report that someone is absolutely fantastic at getting bad classes to really enthusiastically participate, and the person in the report won't be the one praising themselves!
You may enjoy this posting from diamondfingerz's blog, I know I did:
http://teachingaffordances.tumblr.com/p ... nd-control

To be honest, woody, I think it's a never as we teachers are an interesting breed - most unfortunately think that they are the only ones with the secret ingredients... luckily lots of bloggers are sharing these ;-) LOL.

xKarenne[/quote]

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:52 am

Sometimes my students ask to go to the toilet using gestures. I really don't know whether to laugh or cry. Yes indeed, we can communicate with gestures and basic words all jumbled together with nary a thought for grammar. And this is what students often do all the time. Hoorah! The great ones in the ivory towers sometimes tell us that this is the golden path that leads naturally to great things, but the trouble is that nothing much that the great ones say is truly based on an actual body of serious and relevant scientific research, because it is so difficult to research these matters, and because so many roads lead to Rome.

Anyway, if everyone else in the group is discussing Kant's philosophy, the gestures will only take you so far.

Anyway, let's at least remember that the point is not communication itself.

alawton

Post by alawton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:31 pm

I used to think it was just me and my teaching style that gave me students who spent the first year not speaking. After a few years and some experience I saw that it was very common. I taught ESL grades 6-8 for a while and I'd have students arrive in the fall and not say a word for months. Usually after Christmas, when they were finally used to the routine and setting they would speak.

I will say that if you ask these quiet students a question specifically to them they will be more likely to answer. A lot of these students are self conscious, but if prompted, will make an attempt. Just don't push too hard if a student is hesitant. They will eventually speak!

Andrew Lawton
[/url]http://drewseslfluencylessons.com

meaghandawn

Re: How to make introverted students more active in activiti

Post by meaghandawn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:12 pm

pgc0315 wrote:Hi everybody, I am having trouble in promoting my silent students to take part in the activities? Any one share some experiences ?
Great Thanks!
Try asking them questions directly instead of waiting for them to participate. It will help alot! Once they know they can speak in front of the other students, they will probably end up participating more often.