Listening activities for beginning level 10-13yo?

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Lorilou

Listening activities for beginning level 10-13yo?

Post by Lorilou » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:31 pm

I'm at a hagwon in Korea, and my principal wants me to start incorporating more listening into my lessons. Right now I show a movie once a week and have them answer questions based on the dialogue, but she would rather have activities where I'm talking, instead of a movie character. Yesterday I read a short story and had them answer multi-choice questions, but they found this really boring, and I grew tired of having to re-read the story over and over again before they got it. Being that it's a hagwon, and an afterschool program, if the kids are bored with the class, we run the chance of them dropping out. I want to keep it as entertaining as possible, while still learning.

Any suggestions as to fun listening activities for them?

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 pm

You could try www.123listening.com

It has some listening audio and listening worksheet makers.

dave-b

Post by dave-b » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:21 pm

These might be good ideas:

A monologue from a famous movie they know

You act out a dialogue between two people. You need to jump back and forth to pretend to be each character. They will get a laugh out of you jumping around changing characters. Use different voices, and maybe a costume, hat, etc.

A lecture on a topic of interest.

Read about a famous musician and have them answer questions based on the reading. Then play that artist's songs and do some cloze activities.
I talked about this idea here: http://eslteachingideas.blogspot.com/20 ... tions.html

Explain a recipe and have them write down the steps.

Try these listening logic problems:
http://eslteachingideas.blogspot.com/20 ... blems.html

I hope these ideas help. Good luck!