Online English Games

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

moonlightblue

Online English Games

Post by moonlightblue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 am

I design our school's website and we are looking for ESL/EFL sites that provide web based activities and games for Jr./Sr. high students. The important part is that we would like to incorporate the activities on OUR OWN website. Unfortunately due to our administration's Internet safety concerns for minors the school will not allow us to link to off-site content.

If anyone knows of any sites that provide this kind of service, we would be very grateful if you could provide us the information.

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:46 am

How strange ... If your school has just made the website for their students, then that's OK but if the school is hoping the website will be beneficial across the web (as promotion tool for the school), it's important to both get links from and also link to strong sites. A dead end site isn't viewed as very good in the search engines.

Anyway, there are some sites that allow you to make Flash games on their site. Afterward you can embed those games on your site. Search Google for "free content for your website" and "flash games" or "make your own educational games"

One easy way is to use Hot Potatoes freeware - http://hotpot.uvic.ca/
They have tools to make gap fills, crosswords, flashcard matching, and more.

- Mark
www.funfonix.com/games/

moonlightblue

Post by moonlightblue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks Mark!

I totally agree with you about it being strange and making things beneficial for other schools and teachers as well. I teach at a very old, traditional and elite school and fortunately we need very little promotion for the school. It didn't take anything at all getting the site approved and I was VERY surprised by that. Aside from not being allowed any linking or advertising on the site, I was also told to not submit the site to search engines and the site will also be password protected.

I will look into the link. Thanks a lot.

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:33 pm

OK, if they just want to have a website as an extension of their administration and not really for the Web, then it doesn't really matter. From your original post, I was thinking they might password protect the whole thing.

Probably all of those games you can embed will have some sort of external link to the site you made them with. That may make them unusable. I'd check that with the administration before spending any time creating and embedding the games.

Here's a game made with the hot potatoes software
http://www.marks-english-school.com/gam ... cks_01.htm

There is a matching activity, multiple choice exercise, crossword and gap-fill activity. The program doesn't add any links to the Hot Potatoes website on the pages. (Adding images with sound was done on my end with some html coding and Flash. Click on the pictures and you'll hear the vocab. That's not part of the program but obviously can be done.)

Just as a small note on linking. By linking to good places (with similar content) on the web, you provide a good service to visitors. It also makes your site more of an "authority" within the filed. If people search for "games" but don't necessarily like your games, they might follow one of your links to another site and be satisfied. From the search engine's point of view, your site was helpful and useful. That should move it up in the rankings.

- Mark
www.marks-english-school.com/games.html